What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to 384.4_2 on AC87U - needed a second reboot to be able to connect to the UI over the AP, could connect directly over the WiFi. Not sure why but always seem to need to power cycle my TP-Link powerlines after the updates.

Updated to 384.4_2 without issues.

I noticed today while I was still on 384.4 that the 5 GHz Wi-Fi range for my iPhone 7 Plus isn’t as good as it used to be. The rx speeds keep dropping down to 150 Mbps when I’m only about 20 feet from my router with 1 wall. The tx speed is around 300 Mbps. Even next to the router the tx speed doesn’t go above 420 Mbps.

My older iPad Air 2 gets around 400/400 in the same location and up to 800/800 next to the router. I’m not sure why the newer iPhone is having an issue all the sudden.

On an unrelated note, is there a way to see the entire site survey list? The UI only shows 15 entries and intermixes 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. I’m trying to find the least used 5 GHz near me.
Morac,

Curious. Are you running a lower or higher channel on 5GHz?

Reason I ask.

On channel 44 here connection is rock solid on my iPad Pro 10.5. Lower channels, no issues ever. Solid connection always.

When on higher channels, I suffer disconnects and Rx/Tx will drop to dial up speeds at times. Only thing that fixes this is turning WiFi off/on in iPad. I’m running the latest iOS 11.3 beta 6. I don’t think this is an Asus or Merlin firmware issue. I’ve reported it to Apple. Spoke to Asus as well, but thinking it’s Apple related.

Last edited:
Morac,

Curious. Are you running a lower or higher channel on 5GHz?

Reason I ask.

On channel 44 here connection is rock solid on my iPad Pro 10.5. Lower channels, no issues ever. Solid connection always.

I’m on channel 44. It’s been fine up until recently. Started having issues after updating to 384.4. 382 and 383.3 were fine. With 384 I had my iPad speeds drop in half until I rebooted it. Today my iPhone speeds are slower even after rebooting.

It’s only an issue with speed. Ping and latency is fine.

On my AC86U, 384.4_1 is no different than previous 384.4 attempts. After updating, the 2.4 Wireless is OFF and nothing gets it back on. I do notice the Wireless config screen is missing most of the content (top, left side, config tabs), but does have all the configurable 2.4 setting fields. Unfortunately the drop-down lists for Channel, Control Channel open, but with no values to select. I have factory-Reset, powered off, etc. till blue in the face, and nothing changes. I've used several different computers with different browsers, cleared settings, etc. They all behave the same.

Then I tried one thing just for giggles. After resetting 384.4_1 to factory defaults, I rebooted, then uploaded the backup config file I use from 384.3. As soon as it rebooted, the 2.4 Ghz network was back online (LED on front was ON and I could connect a client and use it). But the 5 GHz network was now dead (no SSID, and LED was off). I flashed back to 384.3 (did not reset or reload settings), and everything is back to normal. Both wireless networks returned to normal operation during final reboot during flash update; all my config settings are fine, and the Wireless config GUI screens behave as they should again. I'm totally stumped. If I flash 384.4 beta 1 or 2, no issues with wireless. Nothing after 384.4 beta 2 works.

One other thing I noticed.. After updating to 384.4, and while navigating the GUI, I periodically get kicked back to the login screen, and sometimes I get 404 page not found errors. Logging back in and navigating to the same page usually works the second time... Seems real flaky. Never seen any behavior like this in ANY prior version or update. Just 384.4.

Last edited:
I do notice the Wireless config screen is missing most of the content (top, left side, config tabs), but does have all the configurable 2.4 setting fields. Unfortunately the drop-down lists for Channel, Control Channel open, but with no values to select.

Do you totally clear your browser cache, after the update?

If not, something to try.

Hey guys

Not going to be reading 20 odd pages.

Updated my AC5300, unable to load GUI via HTTPS using my SSL certificate. The previous version was excellent, no issues.

Anyone having that same issue? And if so any workaround?

Cheers

I'm giving 384.2 a try , had to go back to 384.3 because realtek client could not hold or get a connection at times ,will see how this goes .
Thanks

Reading over this entire thread it seems the 384 code seems to be a mess for a lot of people. Why is this, it works very well for me and my clients that utilize it. So why is it 384 works excellent for some and for others its a complete nightmare ?? :eek:o_O

Updated to 384.4_2. No issues so far. Thanks Merlin!

Updated to 384.4_2. No issues so far. Thanks Merlin!

All good here too.
With the exception of:
Firefox 59 Quantum on Win 10 with this update took sooooooo long to get to the router’s https logon page.
Once again, did a Firefox ‘refresh’, created a certificate exception, & all is good again!
Happy.

All good here too.
With the exception of:
Firefox 59 Quantum on Win 10 with this update took sooooooo long to get to the router’s https logon page.
Once again, did a Firefox ‘refresh’, created a certificate exception, & all is good again!
Happy.

Immediately after the update, some minor issues are expected in my experience. This is due to the fact that some services might not start or behave as expected. As a thumbs up rule, I always do a power cycle (turn off, remove power cable, wait couple of minutes, power on) for minor version upgrades. Usually that smooths out the rough corners.

Home now and it appears to be working smoothly for me as well. Im not sure why some are having issues. Maybe more advanced setups? But im even running dbl nat with a nas and 20 devices including 2 wireless printers. Not a single issue with the 384 branch so far.

No issues here...

On an unrelated note, is there a way to see the entire site survey list? The UI only shows 15 entries and intermixes 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. I’m trying to find the least used 5 GHz near me.

Click on a column header to sort it.

I have no control over the displayed list. I display everything that gets returned by the wireless driver. Here, I get about 40 APs shown, so it's definitely not limiting it to 15.

So why is it 384 works excellent for some and for others its a complete nightmare ??

A lot of people reporting "issues" are actually dealing with issues unrelated to the firmware. See how many of these eventually come back with reports that the issue was with their ISP, the Ethernet cable they used, or failure to do a factory default reset.

I'm not denying that some users might be experiencing genuine issues, but they're not a large majority. Keep in mind that for every one complaining on a forum, 100 others have no issue. So if out of 50,000 users you get 5-6 genuine issues, then there's a good chance the issue lies in something specific to their environment. As I often repeat it, wireless involves three things: the router, the client, and the environment. Too often people claim that a new firmware release "broke" their wifi (and I sometime even get people saying that a new firmware release fixed their wifi issues) when there hasn't been a single code change between the two firmware version they used.

I do not know whether this occurred with 384.4.0 or with the updated version, but when I turn the wireless scheduler on and reboot the router all time frames where the Wifi should be turned off are reset. Can anyone else reproduce the issue?

On my AC86U, 384.4_1 is no different than previous 384.4 attempts. After updating, the 2.4 Wireless is OFF and nothing gets it back on. I do notice the Wireless config screen is missing most of the content (top, left side, config tabs), but does have all the configurable 2.4 setting fields. Unfortunately the drop-down lists for Channel, Control Channel open, but with no values to select. I have factory-Reset, powered off, etc. till blue in the face, and nothing changes. I've used several different computers with different browsers, cleared settings, etc. They all behave the same.

Then I tried one thing just for giggles. After resetting 384.4_1 to factory defaults, I rebooted, then uploaded the backup config file I use from 384.3. As soon as it rebooted, the 2.4 Ghz network was back online (LED on front was ON and I could connect a client and use it). But the 5 GHz network was now dead (no SSID, and LED was off). I flashed back to 384.3 (did not reset or reload settings), and everything is back to normal. Both wireless networks returned to normal operation during final reboot during flash update; all my config settings are fine, and the Wireless config GUI screens behave as they should again. I'm totally stumped. If I flash 384.4 beta 1 or 2, no issues with wireless. Nothing after 384.4 beta 2 works.

One other thing I noticed.. After updating to 384.4, and while navigating the GUI, I periodically get kicked back to the login screen, and sometimes I get 404 page not found errors. Logging back in and navigating to the same page usually works the second time... Seems real flaky. Never seen any behavior like this in ANY prior version or update. Just 384.4.
Have you tried to change your SSID names?

I do not know whether this occurred with 384.4.0 or with the updated version, but when I turn the wireless scheduler on and reboot the router all time frames where the Wifi should be turned off are reset. Can anyone else reproduce the issue?

Yes, has been an issue with both Asus & Merlin firmware for as long as I’ve been using wifi scheduling. (A few months now).

Even when the time values are intact, I find scheduling to be something that actually works only intermittently.

Nuisance value, I’m thinking of just not bothering with it.

Aside from this, my only new firmware release glitches have been with my own clients (looking at you Firefox). ;-)

Last edited:
I have an issue recently also. For whatever reason I am no longer able to connect to my 5ghz signal. I can see the devices show up in the wireless log, then it disappears and doesn't connect. I have an AC88U router.

Edit: Maybe its a problem with my router itself. I don't know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!