What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you rename network you have to change password as well , no ?

Probably not because this is against the FCC regulations IIRC.
And ... what has this to do with most of the world where they are sold too? FCC is only for <1/20 of earth population!

Is there any chance to have TX Power level increase, or overclock function like in HGG?
How I know these data stored in nvram and CFE's nvram too and if they don't match the router writes back from CFE to nvram. But modifying cfe is too dangerous and too difficult to test (e.g no way back, if you set too high MHz).

Which router do you want to modify? For 68U it is easy done (PM me if interested).
Speed can be tested very safe with older firmware as it will restore old value after reset, after some days stable you can modify it in CFE and it will stay fix forever and you can update to recent firmwares.
I tested up to 1400 where it got instable, so I set 1200 save for mine and after a week directly in CFE.

Last edited:
Is unmounting before upgrading sufficient, or does it also need to be absent on first boot? Unmounting via the FW before ugrading is doable, but physical removal for 2 boots is a pain.
No just umount and flash and reboot when done.

384.4 and Repeater Mode

Ok, since i didn't see anyone else try it. I upgraded my hub to 384.4 and immediately lost connectivity to nodes behind my repeaters even though the repeaters were connected to the hub and responsive. Interestingly though. I only lost connectivity to the newer repeaters running the 384.4 branch of code. So i tried downgrading the repeaters to 380.69_2 branch of code with the hub running 384.4 and for now everything is up and running. Only time will tell if the wireless latency /instability i experienced before reappears.

Here is my config in case it helps anyone

RT-AC3100 - Running 384.4 (Hub)
RT-AC66R - Running 380.69_2 (Repeater spoke)
RT-AC68U - Running 380.69_2 (Repeater spoke downgraded to 380.69_2)
RT-AC88U - Running 380.69_2 (Repeater, not currently in use also downgraded to 380.69_2)

So far it's stable and my cameras all seem to be working. Let's hope it stays stable.

Is unmounting before upgrading sufficient, or does it also need to be absent on first boot? Unmounting via the FW before ugrading is doable, but physical removal for 2 boots is a pain.
Unmounting what?

Make your own nvram script file to set everything up. It is what I do. That way I can avoid 47 restarts.
Hey if you have a custom .ini file please share as the last revision was 26.1

Every mpg file was being rescanned over and over again. I removed the mpg files and all other files seem to be indexed now. However, the Media Server Status is showing Scanning.. permanently. I cannot compare with the minidlna status page (192.168.1.1:8200) because that does not work:

[1970/01/01 13:59:02] upnphttp.c:1144: warn: / not found, responding ERROR 404
I had been playing around with using minidlna from entware instead of the Asus implementation (just to play around. it offers no benefits). Just today I decided I would go back to the Asus minidlna so I uninstalled the entware version, enabled the Asus version and I am seeing the same thing as far as the 404 on the status page.

Install of 384.4 went well on my 68U. I did notice that the system clock is about 7 hours off. Anyway to set time manually??

I installed 384.4 on my 3100 and it's working solid. :)o_O

Just a heads up:
Merlin 384.3 > .4 incurred an issue. Running with Skynet firewall script.

With aiProtection Two-Way IPS enabled, it states an infected device at 127.0.0.1 was blocked due to attempted Blacknurse ICMP attack when trying to upgrade via WebUI.
I easily circumvented this by disabling Two-Way IPS and rebooting to proceed with updating the firmware, and then reverted back to enabling Two-Way IPS.

I didn't look into it, but I assumed since it was an attack reported on ics.sans.edu, I assumed that firehol level 2 was reporting it to Skynet and the block occurred.
Additionally, I noticed DNS resolution was completely inoperable after updating and re-enabling aiProtection Two-Way IPS. Turning it off resolved this entirely.

Just wanted to provide that info before the FW update gets a lot of users migrating.

I noticed a change in 384.4 compared to 383.3. I have a bookmark for the general system log page. In 383 after logging in I was taken to that page. Now with 384 I’m always taken to the main network map page, now matter which page I bookmark. I’m not really thrilled with the change.

I don't have smb enabled but somehow the smb share showing on my network, does any body know why.

Hello all-

Longtime Tomato (shibby builds) user here with a spare RT-AC56R that I wanted to flash over to Merlin to try and get familiar with the firmware...I've never even used Asus official firmware apart from flashing directly to Tomato after purchase.

Couple of questions:

Can I flash directly from Tomato to Merlin (either 384.4 or 380.69_2)?

And if desired/needed from Merlin directly back to Tomato?

Thanks!:cool:

Just like 384.4 Beta 3, the Release 0 also disabled the 2.4 GHz radio and I cannot get it back on. Factory reset did not help. Flashed back to 384.3 release 0 and the 2.4 radio instantly came back on. So at least for my AC86U, the 384.4 release isn't ready for prime time. I did not have this radio issue with 384.4 Beta 1 & 2. I saw one other post earlier about someone similarly losing the 5 GHz radio. So I don't think this is an isolated event.

Seeing Telnet is compeltely removed and SSH is now required. How would one use SSH to clear NVRAM etc?

I've always been used to using telnet 192.168.1.1 then logging in using my username/password.

Can someone explain step by step on how to login via SSH and what command to use to clear NVRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!