What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, it looks like its fixed it although on the RT-AC5300 it's WIFI>Professional>2.4>Reducing USB 3.0 Interference.

I also read somewhere @RMerlin recommend this is switched to disabled hence why i never changed it.

It may be better just to keep it disabled to avoid interference and simply use the usb2.0 port.
If you are not using the usb 3 port it won't make a difference.

It can be confusing when people are discussing the "Reducing USB 3.o interference" setting. With the way this is written, it sounds like you should enable that for better wifi performance and disable for better USB 3 performance, yet I read people talking about it as if it works opposite of that. Which one is it really?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 09.21.13.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 09.21.13.png
    85 KB · Views: 678
Enabling this cuts usb 3 interference with your network if used and supported, however, if you do enable it then by default it sets the usb version to 2. I think this is how @RMerlin explained it. Sorry for the confusion.

Has anyone had problems with media bridge mode?
As soon as I connect my second router as media bridge on 5G Wifi I loose connectivity with all the other devices (smartphone, notebook, etc). As soon as I turn off media bridge it works again.
I can read lots of: "br0: received packet on eth2 with own address as source address" messages in both system logs once media bridge is on.

PS: devices connected to 2.4G wifi keep going.

It can be confusing when people are discussing the "Reducing USB 3.o interference" setting. With the way this is written, it sounds like you should enable that for better wifi performance and disable for better USB 3 performance, yet I read people talking about it as if it works opposite of that. Which one is it really?
whats so complicated?
USB3.0 can interfere with 2,4GHz WiFi as it uses same frequency, so if you enable "reduce 3.0 interference" it turns USB3.0 off and limits it to work as an USB2.0 and there should be no problems.
But you wont have 3.0 speed anymore!!!

Disabled you will have 3.0 but can make problems.

Newer router revisions have better shielding, so Merlin leaves it disabled in recent firmwares for better performance (speed), but for some it doesnt work.

But even with enabled I have the situation, that a stick wont work on 3.0-port regardless I enable or disable it, but working on USB2.0 port quite well ...!!!

At the end you could say, a great Asus marketing hoax, they sell things knowing that they dont work well and so graded down in their own firmwares by default!

Enabling this cuts usb 3 interference with your network if used and supported, however, if you do enable it then by default it sets the usb version to 2. I think this is how @RMerlin explained it. Sorry for the confusion.
Hi skeal,

Should “reducing 3.0 interference” be disabled (default) or enabled, if you don’t use USB?

Thanks.

Hi skeal,

Should “reducing 3.0 interference” be disabled (default) or enabled, if you don’t use USB?

Thanks.
Doesn't make any difference in the case of not using usb 3. Either way it won't affect your wifi if you don't use a usb 3 drive in the usb 3 port.

Just disable 2.4ghz and use 5ghz if u really really want 3.0 speed? Happy?

Just disable 2.4ghz and use 5ghz if u really really want 3.0 speed? Happy?
Playing with this setting will not make a usb 3 drive mount if it is not supported by the router. Asus has a known issue with usb 3 and I would say most usb 3 flash drives or HDD do not work without this making the usb 3 port a usb 2 port (by enabling Reducing USB 3.0 interference in the professional tab in wireless).

I would try a factory reset. Mine is working fine except for WiFi site survey.

I continued to play around with settings etc. last night. I noticed that lots of folks were reporting issues with 2.4 band so I disabled it on the unit that couldn't display status, well it started displaying status. So I re-enabled 2.4, it continued displaying status. There is still an oddity: 2.4 can only negotiate a 96mbps line rate.

I'll do a factory reset either tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. Fortunately I'm not using these as anything other than an AP...no firewall, no routing, no DHCP, no file serving, the only thing other than plain vanilla AP is that I have them config'd for smartconnect and to aggressively disconnect low signal connections to better facilitate roaming between APs.

No
whats so complicated?
USB3.0 can interfere with 2,4GHz WiFi as it uses same frequency, so if you enable "reduce 3.0 interference" it turns USB3.0 off and limits it to work as an USB2.0 and there should be no problems.
But you wont have 3.0 speed anymore!!!

Disabled you will have 3.0 but can make problems.

Newer router revisions have better shielding, so Merlin leaves it disabled in recent firmwares for better performance (speed), but for some it doesnt work.

But even with enabled I have the situation, that a stick wont work on 3.0-port regardless I enable or disable it, but working on USB2.0 port quite well ...!!!

At the end you could say, a great Asus marketing hoax, they sell things knowing that they dont work well and so graded down in their own firmwares by default!

No it's still confusing because the help tip is opposite

Hello,

I have an issue with my RT-AC3200 and 384.4_0 firmware.
WAN Port is been connected at 1Gbps, after update/reset.
The problem is that in less than 24 hours it falls at 100Mbps.
If I restart the router, it come back again at 1Gbps and so on.

This problem has appear after I have updated the router to 384.3_0.
I have hoped that this problem will be solved after I have update the router to 384.4_0 firmware, but it was not solved.
My internet connection is 1Gbps.

Is somebody having any ideea about how can I solve this problem?

Thank you,

No

No it's still confusing because the help tip is opposite
It has been a while since I displayed that help tip. I took a look on my ac3100 and it explains things perfectly. There should be no confusion this issue has been discussed at nauseam. Please look through forum if you are still confused.

Really! What part of that don't you understand? :rolleyes:

To me, this says you should enable it if you care more about 2.4 GHz wifi performance than USB 3 throughput. If you value USB 3 throughput more than 2.4 GHz wifi performance, leave it disabled.

To me, this says you should enable it if you care more about 2.4 GHz wifi performance than USB 3 throughput. If you value USB 3 throughput more than 2.4 GHz wifi performance, leave it disabled.
Yes but good luck with the usb 3 drive mounting and delivering the throughput a person needs.

skeal, Thank You! Help still deal....
The devices operate from wifi...

Attachments

• 87u.png
    87u.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 796
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!