What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello,
What's wrong,
anyone who knows?
no problem with 384.8_2
Mine looks like that too. It works awesome though! ;):)

I had the exact same thing happen, super slow DL after upgrade and no Wi-Fi or at least disconnect every couple minutes. Went back to 384.9 and used stored settings, then a day later tried again and the upgrade from 384.9 to 384.10 went just fine without any issues....go figure...
I've had weirdness like this happen several times. The upgrade solution which has worked well for me for the past 18+ months is when I upgrade to Merlin's release (I'm never more than (-1 or -2) behind current) I always do this to the 4 ASUS units (1 router + 3 AP). (knocks on wood...) I have 2 x RT-1900P, 1 x RT-88U and 1 x RT-86U in play. Sure it takes a bit longer but it has kept me outta the ditch with reverting to prior firmware since I started my little routine.
  1. Login, check the logs for weirdness
  2. Backup/date the system settings (via the GUI) to a file on my PC
  3. Reboot the router, let it stabilize up, wait a few mins
  4. Upload/Apply the firmware updates
  5. Reboot the router per Merlin instructions
  6. Login, check the logs
  7. Next unit

Hello!
I am trying on both my AC86U to upgrade from 384.9 to 384.10, but nothing happens.
Is there a special way to flash the firmware lately? It always worked by simply updating firmware...
Also, can i use a save config from 384.9 to 384.10? I have tons of DHCP, and it would take me days to fill the back manually...

Hello!
I am trying on both my AC86U to upgrade from 384.9 to 384.10, but nothing happens.
Is there a special way to flash the firmware lately? It always worked by simply updating firmware...
Also, can i use a save config from 384.9 to 384.10? I have tons of DHCP, and it would take me days to fill the back manually...
If you use Safari on Mac, try different browser.

On the RT-AC86U, has the size of the VPN Client Custom Configuration GUI field been reduced to only 510 bytes?

(RT-AC68U v384.9 allows 2047 bytes)

Went from 3.9 to 3.10 on RT-AC-1900P. Rebooted, then unplugged router power and plugged back in. The little yellow explanation point flashing to notify of new firmware available is still flashing. Reloaded
firmware, rebooted and it's still flashing. Went to Tools, Miscellaneous Options and turned off radio buttons for firmware and beta notifications off. Rebooted and unplugged power cable again. No joy. I have 5G turned off is that matters. Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere.

Went from 3.9 to 3.10 on RT-AC-1900P. Rebooted, then unplugged router power and plugged back in. The little yellow explanation point flashing to notify of new firmware available is still flashing. Reloaded
firmware, rebooted and it's still flashing. Went to Tools, Miscellaneous Options and turned off radio buttons for firmware and beta notifications off. Rebooted and unplugged power cable again. No joy. I have 5G turned off is that matters. Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere.
think its the cell phone app doing that.. everytime I load the app on my phone it does that for me in the router gui.

removing the app and rebooting router removed it.

think its the cell phone app doing that.. everytime I load the app on my phone it does that for me in the router gui.

removing the app and rebooting router removed it.

Thanks, but not running the app on my phone. Didn't even realized there was one! ;) I have been using Merlin's firmware for years and never had the flashing exclamation point before.

Thanks, but not running the app on my phone. Didn't even realized there was one! ;) I have been using Merlin's firmware for years and never had the flashing exclamation point before.

If this is the only glitch/issue you have, it may not be worth doing a full M&M Config to your router at this time. How much is it bothering you? :)

If you haven't performed a full reset to factory defaults though after doing a line of 'dirty' upgrades, doing a full M&M Config now will clear this up. (No one else is having this issue).

Please see my signature below for links to further steps.

On the RT-AC86U, has the size of the VPN Client Custom Configuration GUI field been reduced to only 510 bytes?

(RT-AC68U v384.9 allows 2047 bytes)

The change was done last year. With HND I can no longer add new nvram entries with lengths longer than the default value hardcoded by Asus, which is 255 characters if I recall. I split it across 3 separate nvram to allow for a total of 255 *3 characters, with base64 overhead this results in a limit of 170 * 3, for a total of 510 characters. Since each nvram variable has to be pre-defined, I didn't want to waste too much nvram space with unused variables (3 variables for 5 clients plus 2 servers), so I settled with 3 variables per instance.

This is caused by the HND enforced nvram length validation, and specific to the RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U.

EDIT: this limitation only applies to the RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U. Other models still allow 2047 characters).

Last edited:
If this is the only glitch/issue you have, it may not be worth doing a full M&M Config to your router at this time. How much is it bothering you? :)

If you haven't performed a full reset to factory defaults though after doing a line of 'dirty' upgrades, doing a full M&M Config now will clear this up. (No one else is having this issue).

Please see my signature below for links to further steps.

Went to M&M page (thanks for the link) and performed most of it. Just flashed back to .9 and will try again.

Edit: Downloaded .10 again and same problem. Went to reset network and after first page, it went away. All fixed. It was annoying.

Last edited:
I wrote a separate post elsewhere but maybe that should be in this thread:

I just switched from an AC-66U to an AC-86U (384.10). I used the AC-66U with the last firmware version available (April 2018), so I decided to upgrade.
I had everything working on the AC-66U, including OpenVPN server but I'm struggling to get the same setup working on the AC-86U.
I have already factory reset the AC-86U and started from scratch but I can't get OpenVPN to work. I have copied the same keys and certificates as I had on the AC-66U, but the AC-86U keeps overwriting the CA.crt field with its own after I press apply.
How can I get the AC-86U to accept my own CA.crt?

Any help greatly appreciated

I wrote a separate post elsewhere but maybe that should be in this thread:

I just switched from an AC-66U to an AC-86U (384.10). I used the AC-66U with the last firmware version available (April 2018), so I decided to upgrade.
I had everything working on the AC-66U, including OpenVPN server but I'm struggling to get the same setup working on the AC-86U.
I have already factory reset the AC-86U and started from scratch but I can't get OpenVPN to work. I have copied the same keys and certificates as I had on the AC-66U, but the AC-86U keeps overwriting the CA.crt field with its own after I press apply.
How can I get the AC-86U to accept my own CA.crt?

Any help greatly appreciated
Transfer the certs into the openvpn folder in jffs. That should work. No need for an apply button...;):)

Transfer the certs into the openvpn folder in jffs. That should work. No need for an apply button...;):)

I tried to edit the CA.crt file there with SSH and saved it but somehow when I open the GUI it again shows the wrong CA. Maybe that is because it is in use and can’t be edited then? Therefore I tried it with the OpenVPN server switched off but then I couldn’t find the directory anymore (server1)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to edit the CA.crt file there with SSH and saved it but somehow when I open the GUI it again shows the wrong CA. Maybe that is because it is in use and can’t be edited then? Therefore I tried it with the OpenVPN server switched off but then I couldn’t find the directory anymore (server1)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should just have to throw them into the folder and restart the server and clients on the router. Has always worked for me. I always back up the whole folder /jffs.

What router models are the Moviestar users having? I'd like to create a test build or two to confirm that fixing Quagga takes care of the problem.

Upgraded my AC68U last night and followed it by running the script to remove ovpn entries from nvram. Router working fine so far. Tonight I'll upgrade 3x AC86U.

What router models are the Moviestar users having? I'd like to create a test build or two to confirm that fixing Quagga takes care of the problem.

rromeroa have one AC68U, the other user how post the same problem have one AC87U and i have one AC88U.

I can test any test build u compile.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!