What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

okay so I am able to see the client ntp updates on :
Code:
tcpdump -s 0 -ni vlan1 -p port 123
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on vlan1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
00:00:00.529585 IP 192.168.1.64.123 > 13.65.245.138.123: NTPv3, Client, length 48
12:40:47.102345 IP 13.65.245.138.123 > 192.168.1.64.123: NTPv3, Server, length 48
and
Code:
tcpdump -s 0 -ni br0 -p port 123
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on br0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
12:42:10.166618 IP 192.168.1.64.123 > 13.65.245.138.123: NTPv3, Client, length 48
12:42:10.167132 IP 13.65.245.138.123 > 192.168.1.64.123: NTPv3, Server, length 48

Is there a tcp dump i can run to see it going from 13.65.245.138.123 to 192.168.1.1
that would show it being intercepted for response?

Edit:note i am testing the built in NTP server on its intercepting abilities..

when i print it to pcap file, i can view it with wireshark, i can see the router as being the source and destination device via mac address, but it still shows it coming from the IP in question v.s. coming from routers IP as source and destination.

Using a RT-AX88U. IPv6 showing address using Native and ISP supports ipv6 also, but it fails the test at https://ipv6-test.com/
it is quite possible you are still missing your IPV6 Gateway. Check the syslogs tab on your router, there is a tab inside this page called IPV6. If you are missing your IPV6 Wan Gateway then you may need to make a script called wan- start.
you would do so by turning on custom scripts and turning on SSH on the Administration page. you would then connect to your router using an application called putty, which allows you to log into SSH using your routers IP and Admin name and password.

you would then make a script using the text copy paste and enter.
nano /jffs/scripts/wan-start
you then procede to copy and paste this text into the client
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/accept_ra
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/accept_ra
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/forwarding

then you type ctrl-x then y and enter

then copy and paste

chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/wan-start

into the client and press enter

then type in reboot
press enter

This will allow your router to then advertise the Wan IPV6 Gateway and will allow you to achieve full IPV6 connection.

note- if you already have an wan-start script then just copy and paste
Code:
to the bottom and reboot

Using a RT-AX88U. IPv6 showing address using Native and ISP supports ipv6 also, but it fails the test at https://ipv6-test.com/
BTW. this is all because asus recently broke some of the IPV6 support to advertise for the Eth0 connection.

I will say one thing after was I though was a smooth transition (dirty upgrade) I had to scrub my router and start from scratch.
DoT is a bit tricky to setup, I consider myself somewhat technically inclined but had issues and the github how too, I find is not straight forward.

One thing I am liking is how fast my OpenVPN Client from work is. I can now connect to my NVR Server in under 20 seconds when before it would take up to 4 - 5 minutes.

it is quite possible you are still missing your IPV6 Gateway. Check the syslogs tab on your router, there is a tab inside this page called IPV6. If you are missing your IPV6 Wan Gateway then you may need to make a script called wan- start.
you would do so by turning on custom scripts and turning on SSH on the Administration page. you would then connect to your router using an application called putty, which allows you to log into SSH using your routers IP and Admin name and password.

you would then make a script using the text copy paste and enter.
nano /jffs/scripts/wan-start
you then procede to copy and paste this text into the client
Code:
#!/bin/sh

then you type ctrl-x then y and enter

then copy and paste

chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/wan-start

into the client and press enter

then type in reboot
press enter

This will allow your router to then advertise the Wan IPV6 Gateway and will allow you to achieve full IPV6 connection.

note- if you already have an wan-start script then just copy and paste
Code:
to the bottom and reboot

That worked! Thank you SO much.

I have two RT-AC68U's running 384.11_2 with almost identical configuration. IPV4 is a static IP, IPV6 is enabled and working fine, VPN server is configured (non std port) for me to manage the networks remotely. Port forwarding is enabled on one router for security cam server access. SMB is disabled. Both routers were factory reset after installing 384.11 and manually configured.

My concern is that over the past 8 days the RAM usage on each router has been going up. Started out at 47% and is now up to 64%. I can see nothing out of the ordinary in the logs and the routers are working well on the cable modem. Am considering adding a USB drive with a swap file but do not know if that will prevent issues if the RAM usage continues to climb. Yes, scheduling a periodic reboot might help.

Suggestions or things to try?

Last edited:
I have two RT-AC68U's running 384.11_2 with almost identical configuration. IPV4 is a static IP, IPV6 is enabled and working file, VPN server is configured (non std port) for me to manage the networks remotely. Port forwarding is enabled on one router for security cam server access. SMB is disabled. Both routers were factory reset after installing 384.11 and manually configured.

My concern is that over the past 8 days the RAM usage on each router has been going up. Started out at 47% and is now up to 64%. I can see nothing out of the ordinary in the logs and the routers are working well on the cable modem. Am considering adding a USB drive with a swap file but do not know if that will prevent issues if the RAM usage continues to climb. Yes, scheduling a periodic reboot might help.

First, please understand that Linux manages RAM very differently than other OS types.

I have two RT-AC68U's running 384.11_2 with almost identical configuration. IPV4 is a static IP, IPV6 is enabled and working file, VPN server is configured (non std port) for me to manage the networks remotely. Port forwarding is enabled on one router for security cam server access. SMB is disabled. Both routers were factory reset after installing 384.11 and manually configured.

Nothing. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Sure, use a USB with swap, it's not going to hurt anything. In Linux and most modern operating systems "free" memory is a misnomer. It includes memory that the kernel has marked as available to use, but it's keeping track of that memory "just in case". It's difficult to determine, and I think in some areas open to interpretation, how much memory is really immediately available for use at any one time. Don't get wrapped up in the amount of "free" memory. My AC86U regularly runs at about 96% used and 100-150M swapped out (512M swap file). Performance is fine.

For example this is my AC86U with 384.12.alpha

screenshot-router-asus-com-8443-2019-05-27-18-57-41.png

Code:
@RT-AC86U-4608:/tmp/home/root# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        440420     411444      28976        316      22600      38492
-/+ buffers/cache:     350352      90068
Swap:       524284      17292     506992
I have no memory issues whatsoever, it will swap cached RAM back to active memory as needed.

First, please understand that Linux manages RAM very differently than other OS types.
Am very familiar with Linux as I have been documenting an open source security camera system for years. What is concerning is the steady rise when my RT-AC66U_B1 has been a steady 47-49% for the same period. Currently not using USB apps or DoT/DNSSEC.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Am very familiar with Linux as I have been documenting an open source security camera system for years. What is concerning is the steady rise when my RT-AC66U_B1 has been a steady 47-49% for the same period. Currently not using USB apps or DoT/DNSSEC.

Best recommendation I have is use htop to see what is consuming memory.

Different hardware, drivers, defaults (baked into the firmware, not user configurable) and possibly os kernels could make up that difference.

Keep an eye on it (maybe put off using a swap file for a bit, while testing) and see if it gets the router to the unstable territory.

If it does continue to the point of instability, there might be an issue. If it continues without issues and fluctuates even around 99% without failing, I would just be amazed by how well it manages itself. :)

Im on
384.10_2 can I update to latest stable without any issues or do I need to factory reset after? Im using skynet also

Im on
384.10_2 can I update to latest stable without any issues or do I need to factory reset after? Im using skynet also

No one can predict if you'll have issues or not.

Update and monitor your network and router to see if it behaves as expected. :)

Im on
As mentioned, hard to say.

I have done a "Dirty Upgrade" for a while and with this latest FW, I had done a "Dirty" and all seemed fine. Then I started noticing errors in the log, issues with my USB drive. Which led me to wipe the router settings and start from scratch.
Oddly enough, I feel that my router is operating much better now.

Im on

Personally I have been doing dirty upgrades since 384.8_2 (my first Merlin ROM on the 86U) and my router and network are 100% fine.

That said, you may have the same experience, or a different one. Nobody knows for sure.

No one can predict if you'll have issues or not.

Update and monitor your network and router to see if it behaves as expected. :)
Thank you or I will do a factory reset after an upgrade.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!