What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi everyone

Any AC88U owners having any joy?

I thought newer Merlin update broke AC88U 2.4ghz, but the latest 2 asus firmwares also have this problem

I am currently on 384.5 and will upgrade when i have can afford some net downtime

I believe the 88u and 3100 are identicle with the exception of the added 4 ports on the 88u. you could also with a grain of salt go by 3100 users experiences.

Have you forgotten or reset the WiFi connection on your devices and reconnected them? If not, might be worthy a try.

Any suggestions are good suggestions really, that did help bring the connection speed up to 40Mbps/7Mbps. Still falls short of where it was on 384.5/384.6 , but I appreciate any speed boost so thank you.

I'm starting to wonder if it's just a version with weak throughput speeds.

Any suggestions are good suggestions really, that did help bring the connection speed up to 40Mbps/7Mbps. Still falls short of where it was on 384.5/384.6 , but I appreciate any speed boost so thank you.

I'm starting to wonder if it's just a version with weak throughput speeds.

I don't think that's the case.. most reports ive read user claim possible increased speeds but some dnssec/vpn issues or confusion. I haven't yet tried it.

01. I think your VPN does not support DNSSEC, try disable this in LAN -> DHCP Server.
02. If disabling DNSSEC still does not work in the next version 384.7 this is fixed:
Code:
dnsmasq: update to v2.80test3
    Fix bug which sometimes caused dnsmasq to wrongly return answers
    without DNSSEC RRs to queries with the do-bit set, but only when
    DNSSEC validation was not enabled.

That dnsmasq patch is already included in 384.6.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...17e68a5#diff-7633fdeac091feb101fa47a7fcc8a73f

Upgraded to 384.6 on RT-AC68U

-noticed incredibly slow upload and download speeds on 2.4ghz, and 5ghz. Usually pull 280Mbps down and 14Mbps up when paired with PCE-AC88....Getting 7Mbps down and 1.4Mbps up.
-flashed to 384.7_alpha1-g192753589 hoping it included 21140 asuswrt architecture. Experienced the same issues.
-Direct LAN connection speed still at 300Mbps down/25Mbps up

Just in case, I factory reset to default version and did a safe clean install to ver. 384.6

-Problems persist and I seem to be getting a highly fluctuating ping now as well over WAN.

As for troubleshooting,
  • I've double checked to make sure non of my cat 6 cables were loose or bad
  • Attempted turning off STP, NAT acceleration, turboqam, explicit/universal beamforming (in different combinations and set as default)
  • Made sure the control channels were free and isolated
  • Made sure there were no conflicting Mac addresses or IPs
  • Rebooted modem and RT-AC68U
  • Swapped out PCE-AC88 for PCE-AC68, still same results
I did some troubleshooting of wireless transfer speeds with the new asus code base. It ended up being channel conflict. Had the same problem in stock. best bet run a wifi analyzer like https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/ and manually pick a channel that has the least conflict. I don't think the new asus wireless code does not calculate rssi correctly and auto channel does not work right. And make sure airtime fairness is disabled.

387.7.alpha 1 solved slower network WiFi speeds for me. From 100 > 200 Mbits download. (250 Mbits connection) (upload ok around 100 Mbits with both versions), Intel AC-7260

Last edited:
all the good evening, yesterday bought a router rt-ac86, flashed this firmware and found in the logs strange lines
Aug 2 19:57:39 kernel: Warning: ct_time_p->intv 0 ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_ORIG 0] 0xfffffffe ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_REPLY 1] 0xfffffffe
Aug 2 19:57:42 kernel: Warning: ct_time_p->intv 0 ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_ORIG 0] 0xfffffffe ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_REPLY 1] 0xfffffffe
Aug 2 19:57:45 kernel: Warning: ct_time_p->intv 0 ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_ORIG 0] 0xfffffffe ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_REPLY 1] 0xfffffffe
Aug 2 19:57:48 kernel: Warning: ct_time_p->intv 0 ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_ORIG 0] 0xfffffffe ct->blog_key[BLOG_PARAM1_DIR_REPLY 1] 0xfffffffe
what does it mean?

Ive a sneaky suspicion that the "blocked routed clients if tunnel goes down" for policy rules isnt working

this is a snapshot of my rules using VPN client with PIA on 384.6 and i have had the vpn connection fail but still connected to the internet and showing my ISP's IP addresses in my PC Browser.

View attachment 13912

i suspect that this also happened in 384.5
other than that all works well

this is on an Asus RT-AC68u

What about your DNS? Is it exclusive, is it leaking?

Strange how I can't upgrade from 384.5 to 384.6?
The whole upgrade went through smoothly but my firmware still shows 384.5
Strange because I have done this many times before.

What about your DNS? Is it exclusive, is it leaking?
When PIA VPN is running OK IPleak.net it shows PIA's IP address and the same address for the DNS server
when it loses the VPN connection it shows my ISP address and server

Capture.JPG

My 88U (and 86U) have been working flawlessly with the latest Merlin fw :)

I believe the 88u and 3100 are identicle with the exception of the added 4 ports on the 88u. you could also with a grain of salt go by 3100 users experiences.

Same here..... great performance so far... I have 2.4/5ghz smart connect activated, so i don't know what of my devices are connecting via 2.4 or 5ghz. All my wifi devices are AC compatible so i assume most work is happening on 5ghz. And TY for that Sinner. I didn't know. I am using all 8 ethernet ports :)

The only other item I can think of is to review dnsmasq settings. Is it enabled?
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-domains-with-dnsmasq
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...lease/src/router/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.conf.example

AB-Solution sets it all up properly if you install it.

For a weird reason, I can't post the data, as I get blocked by cloud fare?!

Anyway I found out what the cause is, but don't understand why:

Aug 3 08:05:36 openvpn-updown: Excluding 192.168.0.0/16 from forced DNS routing

So I removed from my VPN Client routing:
Source IP: 192.168.0.0/16 Destination IP: 192.168.0.0/16 Iface WAN

Now the DNS is not leaking, but I still don't understand it, why when routing the local subs, they use the ISP's DNS for other requests? There seems to be a bug or misunderstand from my side?

Ive a sneaky suspicion that the "blocked routed clients if tunnel goes down" for policy rules isnt working

this is a snapshot of my rules using VPN client with PIA on 384.6 and i have had the vpn connection fail but still connected to the internet and showing my ISP's IP addresses in my PC Browser.

View attachment 13912

i suspect that this also happened in 384.5
other than that all works well

this is on an Asus RT-AC68u

EDIT : Just happened again today
VPN has stopped but i still have internet access on my PC showing my ISP address details on IPleak.net

ive attached a small relevant section of syslog.txt when it happens (Aug 3rd)...well I would have done but the forum wouldn't allow me to upload a txt file of 17kb !

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!