What's new

Replace Netgear R7000 for Plex streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

techguy888

New Around Here
I have an R7000 setup as an access point and I have been rather disappointed by it. I run Cat5e/6 to every device in the house that I can, but there are still a few devices where that's just not feasible for a house that is rented. Some early stability issues with 3rd party firmware have been mitigated by returning to OEM firmware, but I still need to occasionally reset the router due to client disconnect/streaming playback failure. When streaming high bit-rate videos this occurs relatively frequently, I may not get through an entire feature-length film before wifi disconnect/stream crash occurs. It also occurs with a client that streams relatively low bit-rate video 24x7 (kids educational cartoons) perhaps once every month or two.

I would like to upgrade one or more of my streaming clients to be 4k/HDR capable as I now have several of these displays in my house and a small but growing 4k/HDR library on my Plex server. At least one of these clients will be connected to the network via wifi, hence the AP upgrade.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

if you want to stay with NETGEAR, I highly recommend the R7800. The last two firmware versions (.58 and .60) have wifi issues like high ping spikes but if you stay at .52 until NG fixes the problems you'll be happy. Don't touch the R8000 & co as they have many issues, including hardware ones

If you want to go for another brand, then ASUS is your friend. Most folks are positive with the AC86U on Merlin firmware

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I would rather avoid Netgear at this point. I have an old Asus N56 router that's been in service for 7+ years now with nary a hiccup doing duty as my primary router. I may go for an AC86. A co-worker recommended a Ubiquiti AP to me. Can anyone comment on those?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!