What's new

router locking me out when accessing remotley

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loadyo

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

i had been using an asus RT-N16 with merlin firmware, it worked ok but i kept getting locked out with some page throwing up something about the settings have changed and you need to reconnect to the network and use new ip addres and port...the only way i could get around this was to have someone reboot the router at its location, not good, i needed open VPN so i have just purchased an asus N66u, it seeme to be fine but again after some hours i cannot connect to the router remotley, i am not getting the same page as before but its basically saying 'connection attempt to XXXXXX.XXXXX.com was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.' and an error code 'ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED'

i cant connect to any of the port forwards i have setup either but oddly i have plex running on my UNraid server and is setup with UnPnP and that was getting through ok...not sure where i need to be looking, i have the router setup with a paid DYN account, sometimes i noticed on the main page of router there would be a yellow exclamation referencing the connection to dns saying 'disconnected' but i would still have access to the router remoteley.

What i have noticed is that it seems fine when i am connecting over my phone via 3G, but when i get to somewhere else and it hooks up to a wifi that is when its all stops working, like the ip addres of where my connection is coming from has changed and then it spits out its dummy.

Your help and advice greatly appreciated.

Are you referring to the warning you get when your browser may be using a cached page, instead of a live one?

If so, clear your browser's cache/stored-files, or just use Incognito/Private Browsing since it will avoid caching and always load a live page.

My guess is that your router has run out of NVRAM. This seems to be a big issue with networks that have a lot of PC's connecting and OpenVPN enabled. One thing you can do is to move the certificates for OpenVPN to JFFS. Another is to clean out areas in NVRAM daily with a cron job. Both topics are covered in this forum.
bb

My guess is that your router has run out of NVRAM. This seems to be a big issue with networks that have a lot of PC's connecting and OpenVPN enabled. One thing you can do is to move the certificates for OpenVPN to JFFS. Another is to clean out areas in NVRAM daily with a cron job. Both topics are covered in this forum.
bb

Are you referring to the warning you get when your browser may be using a cached page, instead of a live one?

If so, clear your browser's cache/stored-files, or just use Incognito/Private Browsing since it will avoid caching and always load a live page.

That was the issue with the rt-n16, it's just not connecting with the n66u, I had already tried your suggestions.

I have not yet setup OPEN VPN on the new n66u. It was flashed with latest merlin straight away, and then connected to my network and Internet where it is situated..like I said..If I leave the location of the router and I'm connected via my handset it is fine..It seems to go awry when I change the connection, ie, pick up on another wifi or from my mum's Internet. ..

Anyone ?... I wouldn't say I have lots of computers connected..A server a pc but about upto 6 phone/tablets at different intervals... openvpn is not running yet...just paid 100 quid for a router with 32mb of no ram and I'm getting this...will it be the same if I revert to stock ?

Went over today to fiddle with this router, done a factory reset and put all my settings in manually from scratch. Was in and out of the house accessing router from computers, my phone whilst being connected to the network via internally and also remotely and always logging out. Seemed to be fine but I have literally just got to my current residence and tried to access the router and I'm getting same message as I was with rt-n16 which is...

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N16.
To access the settings of RT-N16, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

How do I find out if the nv ram is being eaten...I can't see how with less than 10 devices ever being connected and not all at once!...its happening in a matter of hours or something else is causing it.

Are you using the same computer between the two locations?

Have you tried to clear the browser cache?

Are you using the same computer between the two locations?

Have you tried to clear the browser cache?

no.. I'm trying to access from a different network (talk talk internet).. and also from my handset at a local pubs wifi

Is the Router's LAN IP address at the remote location the same as a router you have at your residence? I've got 3 RT-N66u's running OpenVPN servers one at home and two at customer locations and no issues connecting into them from anywhere. They are setup with different LAN IP ranges though. Home is 192.168.2.1, Cust 1 192.168.10.1, Cust2 192.168.1.1.

I'm not connecting through open vpn, I have not even enabled it yet. The n66u has the usual 192.168.1.1 and the talk talk router where I'm living was also the same..I did however change it to a different ip address but was still getting these issues before I did...I don't see why that would cause this ?...what if every time I connect through my phone a different wifi hot spot and the ip range is set same as my network at its base ??

Last edited:
So I had it rebooted... was on for about an hour, can't get into again and no access to the port forwards but plex is running ok via upnp. ..its weird...could it be anything to do with my server...its an unraid server and it's ip address is 192.168.1.122 and I am using dockers on it...I know one is using a port 8080 but I have tried setting routers remote port to say 8089 and I get same issues.

When you're accessing you router from the WAN are you accessing via HTTP or HTTPS? I'd set it to HTTPS if you're not already.

i had it via https but when i done a factory reset i didnt bother with it, it happens whether it is or not. im travelling to site today, its difficult as it is at my home and i am estranged from my wife but i need to able to service the server etc for the kids without having to keep going over.

I really dont know what i can try to do to stop this, or why it is happening. I dont think a return to stock firmware is going to help as its pretty close to it anyway.

I was wondering if maybe the remote port has something to do with this issue. .one of my apps on server use 8081 so I changed it to 8070 for the router but still happened now I have changed it to 9070 so far so good but not holding breath.

I have successfully set up my openvpn server, however it is also getting denied access to the router after some time, at the same time i can not access the remote GUI either, where can i look to resolve this..is it a ddns issue ? i have a paid dyn pro account, dont know why this is happening and dont know where i should be looking.

Could try setting up dns-o-matic so you can have the router report to multiple ddns services. Do you know if your WAN IP address is changing frequently? Does your Internet service provider do any blocking?

Ip changes once a month maybe...I have it set to update every hour, my isp is quite lenient, a reboot of the router remedies the issue but after some time it locks out again... its fine from within the network

I have successfully set up my openvpn server, however it is also getting denied access to the router after some time, at the same time i can not access the remote GUI either, where can i look to resolve this..is it a ddns issue ? i have a paid dyn pro account, dont know why this is happening and dont know where i should be looking.

You could temporarily set up the PPTP server with a very strong password - 20 characters at least ;-)

Then when the Openvpn access stops, try the PPTP connection, if you connect then you can rule out DDNS issues.
If you can't connect then try using the last known DDNS I/P address...might be worthwhile creating a cru cronjob to send an email (or log the diagnostics to syslog) say every hour to inform you about the state of the router...ip routes, memory usage, ps output etc.

If U cannot access the remote GUI or even SSH/TELNET to the router then then you will need to check the Syslog to see if there was a PPTP access attempt when you physically tried etc.

You could also set up the second Openvpn server instance with say a different protocol/port e.g. TCP/443...since I doubt anyone (even a corporate firewall) would legitimately explicity block this traffic but some may dynamically block port 1194 etc. after a period of time?

Not sure if you have posted any Syslog containing the Openvpn activity entries....perhaps changing the verbosity level may allow a clue to be shown in the Syslog to help identifying when the Openvpn connections gets broken.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!