What's new

RT-AC3200 2.4GHz too new ?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turbine:

This thread has a lot of very generalized discussion, but is pretty short on getting down to specifics about the particular devices that you say you cannot connect or use. Maybe if you provide that info, I and others will be able to actually assist you in connecting and using your devices with the AC3200.

As background, I've used the AC3200 for the past few months (and used two AC66U's for about a year prior), and have had absolutely zero problems connecting devices to either, regardless of age of the device, whether using the stock Asus firmware or Merlin's (or John's fork).

So let's try troubleshooting this again from the top with you providing specific info about the devices that you're having trouble with.

First, what specific model number of HP printer are you trying to connect and use?

Second, are you using Smart Connect with the AC3200, or are you using separate SSID's? This is important to know for reasons that many others are aware of, but which I won't go into until you let us know which you're using.

Third, in addition to your printer, what other specific devices are you having trouble using? Please identify them specifically (model number, name, and if possible, the firmware version for each such device).

Please provide this info.

Hello,
thank you for your help..
i tried different settings, both with and without smart connect. and different security settings as well
the printer model is HP OFFICEJET 4500 WIRELESS, the other devices is Xtreamer Prodigy BLACK ( latest firmware of course )

in addition, i noticed small issues with my Sony xperia Z3 Compact as well.. on the 5GHZ everything seems to work good.
i guess this is a bad driver or something for the 2.4GHZ

I can connect.. But i cant use it.
The network connectivity is poor.
The HP printer for example is from around 2010.. The other device is around 2012.
Both are G devices

They are not both "G" devices. Your HP Printer is an 802.11 b/g device, which means that it should connect just fine to 2.4 ghz channel. You say it will connect if you have "B/G Protection" checked in the 2.4 settings. But then you say you cannot "use it". What does that mean? Can't print? Can't scan? What other "use" do you intend to make of a 5 year old HP printer?

And you other device, the Xtreamer Prodigy BLACK is an 802.11 n wireless device. The specs state that its maximum connection speed is 300 mbps, and presumably, it uses only 2.4ghz as well.

Candidly, if you really want to take advantage of the AC3200's capabilities, you should connect the Xtreamer to the AC3200 via the GigE connection, i.e., LAN to LAN ports.

Keep in mind that if you're trying to use WPA-2 Personal security encryption, that could be the cause of your issues with the printer. It will only use WEP or WPA encryption.....so yeah, when Asus told you it's old, they meant that the 802.11 encryption has in fact evolved and some older devices won't connect if you're trying to use encryption security that is newer and can't be used with some older devices.

Lastly, with regard to your Sony xperia Z3 Compact, why don't you just connect to one of the 5ghz channels on the AC3200? The Sony has full 802.11ac connectivity, so why not just use it?

Lastly, if you're using Smart Connect, turn it off, and just configure the three radios on the AC3200 as independent SSID's. You'll be a happier camper if you do that first before fooling around with anything else or blaming either your devices or the AC3200.

Most connectivity issues have to do with environmental factors, or issues involving settings or drivers on client devices. I can assure you though there's nothing unusual or "new" about the implementation of the 2.4ghz radio on the AC3200. Either you're trying to use an encryption mode that isn't supported on your client device (the printer), or there's some environmental interference (neighboring AP's?....do a site survey using something like InSSIDer or WiFi Analyzer to eliminate any interference from neighboring APs) that is the cause.

They are not both "G" devices. Your HP Printer is an 802.11 b/g device, which means that it should connect just fine to 2.4 ghz channel. You say it will connect if you have "B/G Protection" checked in the 2.4 settings. But then you say you cannot "use it". What does that mean? Can't print? Can't scan? What other "use" do you intend to make of a 5 year old HP printer?

And you other device, the Xtreamer Prodigy BLACK is an 802.11 n wireless device. The specs state that its maximum connection speed is 300 mbps, and presumably, it uses only 2.4ghz as well.

Candidly, if you really want to take advantage of the AC3200's capabilities, you should connect the Xtreamer to the AC3200 via the GigE connection, i.e., LAN to LAN ports.

Keep in mind that if you're trying to use WPA-2 Personal security encryption, that could be the cause of your issues with the printer. It will only use WEP or WPA encryption.....so yeah, when Asus told you it's old, they meant that the 802.11 encryption has in fact evolved and some older devices won't connect if you're trying to use encryption security that is newer and can't be used with some older devices.

Lastly, with regard to your Sony xperia Z3 Compact, why don't you just connect to one of the 5ghz channels on the AC3200? The Sony has full 802.11ac connectivity, so why not just use it?

Lastly, if you're using Smart Connect, turn it off, and just configure the three radios on the AC3200 as independent SSID's. You'll be a happier camper if you do that first before fooling around with anything else or blaming either your devices or the AC3200.

Most connectivity issues have to do with environmental factors, or issues involving settings or drivers on client devices. I can assure you though there's nothing unusual or "new" about the implementation of the 2.4ghz radio on the AC3200. Either you're trying to use an encryption mode that isn't supported on your client device (the printer), or there's some environmental interference (neighboring AP's?....do a site survey using something like InSSIDer or WiFi Analyzer to eliminate any interference from neighboring APs) that is the cause.

if you check the older replys on this thread.. you can see the PING is not stable , which mean i can't use the printer properly.
i can't even access the printer by the web interface.

like i said in the reply's before, i tried to work with OPEN SSID ( no security at all ) as well with the printer ( for the test ) , and it was the same problem.
( currently it still works with linksys e4200 with even WPA2 , no problem )
i do connect the sony to the 5GHZ channel.. but i don't have signal all over the house. 2.4 is much stronger signal.

yeah, you right.. currently i set the smart connect off because it just don't work good.
but even in separate SSID's the 2.4 channel simply don't work well ! on my Sony as well !

Last edited:
@Turbine , I would RMA the device and hope for a good one in return.
Sony Z3 is very new and should work properly with the 3200 router. No discussion about that.

@Turbine , I would RMA the device and hope for a good one in return.
Sony Z3 is very new and should work properly with the 3200 router. No discussion about that.

maybe you right.. but i don't think the actual product is the problem.
a lot of people complaining about the unstable 2.4 on the rt-ac3200.

i live in Israel, and sending the product for RMA is so much trouble for me..
i will have to wait a few more firmware updates :/

is the 3200 worth it? i was thinking about upgrading from my rc-ac66u

You're joking right?

Give some info regarding your expectations and current limitations and you may get an answer to this.

maybe you right.. but i don't think the actual product is the problem.
a lot of people complaining about the unstable 2.4 on the rt-ac3200.

i live in Israel, and sending the product for RMA is so much trouble for me..
i will have to wait a few more firmware updates :/

Living in Israel, yes, you can have delay issues in getting anything in or out of the country (I know this because one of my sons lives there and it takes us about 3 months to get him packages if we send them via FedEx, U.S. Mail, or any sort of international courier. Much easier to give friends who are visiting Israel packages to deliver to him...avoids delays in customs.

That said, I don't think there are many people complaining about 2.4 ghz connections with the AC3200. Have you tried doing a factory reset and then reinstalling the latest Merlin FW?

From reading the boards here at SNB, when the 3200 first came out there were reports of people having difficulty with one or the other of the 5ghz radios, but I just don't recall many having issues with the 2.4 band.

I still think the issues you're having are with your printer's wireless protocol, and that you'd get better results from your Xtreamer by connecting it through Ethernet rather than wirelessly. Have you at least tried to connect the printer and the Xtreamer to LAN ports to see if the issue truly is with the 2.4 ghz wireless or something else going on?

Well...
i don't really know what they changed in the wireless , ( except the sc algorithm )
but now, the HP printer does connect and works fine...
keep updating...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!