What's new

RT-AC3200 noob questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dikkiedirk

Regular Contributor
Just have this router a couple of days and made the observation that 5GHz-1 is much weaker than 5 GHz 2. The Windows 10 icon shows viewer bars an ViStumbler and Xirrus WiFi analyzer show also a weaker signal.
Is this because it uses a different channel?

Is it currently advisable to use Smart Connect?
The router is on the latest 9529 firmware, does Merlin fw have many improvements over this?

Just have this router a couple of days and made the observation that 5GHz-1 is much weaker than 5 GHz 2.

thats because the power setting is lower on the 5 gig lower band due to regulation regarding transmission levels

Is this because it uses a different channel?
only the upper channels used by the 5 gig 2 can run at the higher power

Is it currently advisable to use Smart Connect?
it works but most of us have disabled it and just run 3 separately named ssid

The router is on the latest 9529 firmware, does Merlin fw have many improvements over this?

apart from the usual merlin improvements and add one etc you would have to ask him :)

thats because the power setting is lower on the 5 gig lower band due to regulation regarding transmission levels

I don't think that is true anymore (for a long time, actually).

I regularly set 5GHz channels to the 40 range and get great performance from them for customers.

I'm not in the usa. ;)

I don't think that is true anymore (for a long time, actually).

I regularly set 5GHz channels to the 40 range and get great performance from them for customers.
Seems to be true in Europe. I am in the Netherlands.

it works but most of us have disabled it and just run 3 separately named ssid

apart from the usual merlin improvements and add one etc you would have to ask him :)

Gonna stay with the stock fw for a while, it is doing pretty well at the moment. Just need a better AC adapter in my laptop. Any suggestions to replace Intel?

see the images below

certainly a difference between low and high 5 gig

Attachments

• rt-ac3200 inssider grab.JPG
    rt-ac3200 inssider grab.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 590
  • rt-ac5300 screen grab.JPG
    rt-ac5300 screen grab.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 536
see the images below

certainly a difference between low and high 5 gig

I have no trust in inssider or indicated signal strength. What throughput (and range) and consistency and lowest latency do they each have? That is all that counts. ;)