What's new

RT-AC56U Wifi toggling, WAN port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wachtda

New Around Here
Hello everybody

I'm planning to buy a RT-AC56U Wireless Router and have some questions about the Wifi toggling. I wish to only enable 2.4GHz radio for my setup!

What happens to the disabled 5GHz radio if I toggle the Wifi with the hardware button off and on again, will the previous disabled 5GHz radio still be disabled or toggles the button all radios to be enabled?

Is the scheduler for turning on/off the radios reliable?

Another questions I have with the WAN port in AP mode.
Can I attach the RT-AC56U to my network trough the WAN port in AP mode?
(so I could have still 5 available LAN ports)

Thanks for the help
Regards Daniel

Is there any reason you want the 5Ghz disabled? Seems silly buying an AC router and limiting yourself to N speeds on the 2.4Ghz band.

Besides that yes you should be able to schedule the radios as you please from the routers GUI or SSH.

Is there any reason you want the 5Ghz disabled? Seems silly buying an AC router and limiting yourself to N speeds on the 2.4Ghz band.
It's hard to find a good wireless router with wifi on/off button, gigabit switch and the option to put some customized firmware on it. The most routers with gigabit switch are AC routers...
;)

My neighborhood is not so crowded with 2.4Ghz routers, I only have devices with g/n wifi and I prefer 2.4Ghz for better stability/distance.

Besides that yes you should be able to schedule the radios as you please from the routers GUI or SSH.
I know that there is a scheduler for the radios (i've read the manual)!
But I need to know if it's working as expected.

If you do not intend to use 5G it at all - you could simply disable it then the toggle will not come into play at all.

You can find it under Wireless>Professional> make sure you select 5GH from the drop down and select NO in the enable line. That should do it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you do not intend to use it at all - you could simply disable it then the toggle will not come into play at all.
So if I disable the 5GHz radio, the hardware toggle button on the right side of the device will not turn it on after toggling?
(Netgear for example toggles all the radios, never mind if the radios were disabled before...)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!