What's new

RT-AC68U WIRELESS PROBLEM IF SSID IS HIDDEN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hggomes

Very Senior Member
I noticed a big instability on wireless coverage/power (RSSI/dBM) in more then 10dbm if the SSID is hidden, and this is also noticable on clients devices because they loose signal/connection when they are far from the AP and with option SSID HIDE OFF the problem does not happen.

I'm not sure if this happens also on other routers models and RMerlin FW, but it could be interesting see what happens with SSID hidden option ON.

PS: I always used on other routers SSID HIDE option ON and never seen this happening (WL500GP and RT-N16) using OLEG FW.

SSID HIDDEN.jpg

SSID NOT HIDDEN.jpg

SSID HIDDEN VS NOT HIDDEN.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone noticed this issue?

Haven't noticed it, but it does give me something to test later. ;)

I used InSSIDer 2.1 for testing, i will try on RT-N66U and see if the same problem happens.

I agree with Seth_space on both counts. Also Windows devices like to have the SSID visible as well and not hidden.
Not sure why folks hide their SSID as hiding the SSID is not a very good security measure as the link in Seth_Space's answer indicates. Good SSID password is the key.
--bill

I figured it out that the problem was because i was mixing the 2 original antennas with and external antenna, i removed the original ones and i i'm using now only that one and that 10dbm up/down problem does not exist anymore but i noticed that with SSID Hide option ON it looses 5dbi vs option OFF, but signal is stable.

Regarding the article i think there's a fail on it, you cannot find the SSID name with any application Netstubler, inSSIDER, Vistubler, whatever if you have SSID Hiden option ON... It only shows the SSID on those apps if you already have the network saved on the client, if you dont have it you will see an empty SSID, so i really doubt you can get the real SSID if the option is turned OK.

"Update: Some commenters have complained that you can’t see the networks… and we should clarify: hidden networks show up as Unknown in version 1 of this particular tool, but they do show all of the other data about the network, including the encryption type and MAC address. Version 2.0 of inSSIDer actually does show the SSID for a hidden network. You’ll see in this screenshot the lhdevnet network, which I’ve hidden on the router."

I'm sure the guy who have written this article had the wireless network saved, thats why InSSIDer showed him the SSID, other way he will not go anywhere.

Note: I tested all versions (2.0, 2.1, 3, Home and Office) and none of them have found my SSID.

Last edited: