What's new

RT-AC68U with really BIG USB disk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @Valle.

So, to clarify, you have 8, 4TB partitions between two enclosures?
Hi
I have 8 partitions. 4tb each. (2pcs 3,5"hdd) in a RaidSonic ICY BOX IB-3740-C31 Harddisk-array. This is connected to the usb 3.0 port with a high speed onverter usb C to usb a.

I use a Asus rt-ac5300 (with two 16tb) 32tb hdd total 4tb each in partition size. I have NO problem at all. NO problem to stream 2 HD movies at the same time or copy to the drive and meantime looking at a movie.
Before that i did use a single 10tb seagate external hdd for serveras years(partitioned (4,4,2tb) works great also.
Soon i will do a test with openwrt or dd-wrt and change software in a router to see If I can have no limit of partitions/sizes so i can use 64tb and abowe.

I don't see this ending well. A small drive to run scripts, ok. Running a file server, not so much.

Years ago I tried it, after a fashion. 4x3tb drives via a powered usb hub on an AC-68U. While it "worked" it was wonky. Not worth the hassle. I went nas as soon as possible.
I would not even reattempt it on my current GTAX6000.

So,
Your choices are really limited to 2.

1. You can return the router and get a Synology router, then you can hook up whatever drives you want.
2. Get a dedicated nas, which you can transfer to a newer router, when the time comes.

But, this is just my $0.02 cents

Last edited:
Going with drives 4TB and larger...

They can work - the challenge is the number of files that can accumulate there and this can run into 100K or more... numbers, not sizes...

One can get to a point where the filesystem in use can consume a fair amount of RAM, and then you have applications like Samba and DLNA - this can run the device out of memory to just mount the FS.

This might (or might not) end well - but @Deldarius mentions - a small drive to keep log files and add-ons is likely ok, even light file sharing, but it's not really intended for heavy duty work like a dedicate NAS box, whether from a NAS vendor or DIY.

Going with drives 4TB and larger...

They can work - the challenge is the number of files that can accumulate there and this can run into 100K or more... numbers, not sizes...

One can get to a point where the filesystem in use can consume a fair amount of RAM, and then you have applications like Samba and DLNA - this can run the device out of memory to just mount the FS.

This might (or might not) end well - but @Deldarius mentions - a small drive to keep log files and add-ons is likely ok, even light file sharing, but it's not really intended for heavy duty work like a dedicate NAS box, whether from a NAS vendor or DIY.
I dont know exactly what is heavy duty work is. If not copying several TB between hdd (raid) and at the same time stream through wifi 4k movie to tv. Or 2 4k at the same time. From the same hdd. I never have any tiny hangs or whatever.
I going to get a nas. Not because transfer speed or stability is better. I work with computers and nas daily at work. It's my living. It's because of better raid in nas. A good router is the key (Asus RT-AC5300) And If you know how to do the setup it's no problem at all.

As promised, I will report on the results.

The router is flashed with Merlin firmware.

The 12 TB drive is connected to USB 3.
The disk is partitioned into 3 partitions: 2 GB for swap, 2 GB for Entware, the rest of the space is for sharing. The disk was partitioned right on the router using the gdisk utility from Entware. Partitions for Entware and data are formatted in ext4.
There were no problems with either partitioning or formatting.

Code:
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048         4196351   2.0 GiB     8200  SWAP
   2         4196352         8390655   2.0 GiB     8300  Entware
   3         8390656     23437768703   10.9 TiB    8300  Share

After rebooting the router, both ext4 partitions were automatically mounted, both partitions are available in the router's graphical menu.

Code:
/dev/sdb2 on /tmp/mnt/Entware type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb3 on /tmp/mnt/Share type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

There were no problems with the router's operation when copying (via Wi-Fi) data to and from the disk.

I'm going on to the next task - launching the torrent client.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!