What's new

RT-AC86U Cannot connect to Sky Fibre. help please!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gdallas

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

really struggling to get my new RT-AC86U to connect to sky. I have attached my WAN config below. Current Version : 384.13_0. configured in Wireless router mode.

I have a netgear DM200 modem in modem only mode. I have verified this as working with sky when I connected in modem/router mode before my RT-AC86U arrived. I have since reverted it back to modem only mode for connection to the RT-AC86U.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here? I had my TP link modem/router connected to sky no problem at all using abcdefgh@skydsl and password of abcdefgh123456789

I have performed a factor reset following the firmware flash too.

hoping someone can help.

Thanks
G

1.PNG 2.PNG

1. Change DHCP Frequency from Aggressive Mode to Normal Mode, you don't want too many request or get blacklisted by Sky.

2. Get the original Sky broadband port MAC address also not the LAN port, this will spoof as an Official Sky Router. I think to get this via the new

3. Beforehand, in wan remove DoT and just use Connect To WAN DNS automatically, that's all should be selected for now until you get a connection.

4. Make sure the modem has synced first, just in modem mode, then do those changes on router side.

5. Hook Ethernet up to WAN port and should get an IP.

This is how I used to do it and still do it with my XR500 and works magical.

Last edited:
thanks guys, I managed to fix it! :)

Basically I hadn't defined the VLAN ID for sky which is 101. To be fair, it wasn't obvious you had to do that on the router, or where! I had enabled VLAN pass through on the Modem without really knowing what it was all about, but it was the only configurable item on the DM200 whilst in Modem mode, so I thought what the hell.

This guide helped me home in on my issues, even though it was a BT connection, the VLANIDs were the same as Sky.

then,

This Asus guide helped me configure my connection properly. Totally not intuitive in my opinion. but it worked, so I am happy!!

Hopefully this post will help the next person who has this issue with Sky Fibre

thanks guys, I managed to fix it! :)

Basically I hadn't defined the VLAN ID for sky which is 101. To be fair, it wasn't obvious you had to do that on the router, or where! I had enabled VLAN pass through on the Modem without really knowing what it was all about, but it was the only configurable item on the DM200 whilst in Modem mode, so I thought what the hell.

This guide helped me home in on my issues, even though it was a BT connection, the VLANIDs were the same as Sky.

then,

This Asus guide helped me configure my connection properly. Totally not intuitive in my opinion. but it worked, so I am happy!!

Hopefully this post will help the next person who has this issue with Sky Fibre

I would also Change DHCP Frequency from Aggressive Mode to Normal Mode, you don't want too many request or get blacklisted by Sky.

even though their T&C changed to allow you to use 3rd party equipment? they'd still black list you?
It's nothing to do with T&Cs. If their network equipment sees a lot of DHCP requests coming from the same device in a short space of time (i.e. Aggressive Mode) it may interpret that as a DoS attack or malfunctioning device and block it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!