What's new

RT-AC87R Wifi 5 webui error Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steven Reid

Occasional Visitor
I want to run the Merlin firmware but it has a serious bug that never seems to be addresses. I have hard reset and reflashed over and over and nothing ever changes. Eventually the webgui will not show the wifi config page properly, it only displays half the screen...

I have never had this issue with the stock Asus firmware. However every single time I try to run Merlin it eventually meets this bug.

I was running the previous version of Merlin 384.10 fine for a long while. I just flashed the update to 384.10_2 and the problem showed up immediately.

Really not sure how this bug is not more widely reported as it takes down 5ghz wifi completely and makes the router not work properly.

I want to run the Merlin firmware but it has a serious bug that never seems to be addresses. I have hard reset and reflashed over and over and nothing ever changes. Eventually the webgui will not show the wifi config page properly, it only displays half the screen...

I have never had this issue with the stock Asus firmware. However every single time I try to run Merlin it eventually meets this bug.

I was running the previous version of Merlin 384.10 fine for a long while. I just flashed the update to 384.10_2 and the problem showed up immediately.

Really not sure how this bug is not more widely reported as it takes down 5ghz wifi completely and makes the router not work properly.

Have you done a factory reset after flashing to Asuswrt-Merlin and reconfigure it manually(no backup files)?
And clear browser cache also.
My RT-AC87u works really well on Asuswrt-Merlin, A bit over 2 years now.
For the 5Ghz issue try:
Set channel between 36-48
Disable Mu-mimo
Disable airtime fairness
Disable universal beam forming

Last edited:

Probably because the problem is with your router and not the firmware...

The 5 GHz radio runs on its own separate firmware. The Quantenna chip is known to frequently die an early death, so I suspect yours is starting to give out.

Another suggestion; have you tried different browsers to check that it isn't the one you're using that is the issue? With no add-ons, extensions, or other modifications past their good/known defaults?

Have you done a factory reset after flashing to Asuswrt-Merlin and reconfigure it manually(no backup files)?
And clear browser cache also.
My RT-AC87u works really well on Asuswrt-Merlin, A bit over 2 years now.
For the 5Ghz issue try:
Set channel between 36-48
Disable Mu-mimo
Disable airtime fairness
Disable universal beam forming
Yes I did mention I did a hard reset that solved nothing. Also the problem has nothing to do with the settings as it works just fine on stock firmware.

Probably because the problem is with your router and not the firmware...

The 5 GHz radio runs on its own separate firmware. The Quantenna chip is known to frequently die an early death, so I suspect yours is starting to give out.
Blame hardware? No not the problem it works fine on stock firmware... Deflection much?

Another suggestion; have you tried different browsers to check that it isn't the one you're using that is the issue? With no add-ons, extensions, or other modifications past their good/known defaults?
No I did not try this as it works just fine in Chrome on stock firmware.

The problem is with Merlin only.

No I did not try this as it works just fine in Chrome on stock firmware.

The problem is with Merlin only.

Chrome is a problem for many. YMMV.

Worth trying, so many others using RMerlin firmware seem to have no issues, right? ;)

I am not interested in switching browsers just to manage my router. So I guess that might explain why nobody reports such issues, since you guys seem to be ok with workarounds.

I am totally fine running stock firmware to have a device that actually works.

I guess you guys don't like bug reports though, so it seems...

I am not interested in switching browsers just to manage my router. So I guess that might explain why nobody reports such issues, since you guys seem to be ok with workarounds.

I am totally fine running stock firmware to have a device that actually works.

I guess you guys don't like bug reports though, so it seems...

You are entitled to stick to the browser that works for you. That doesn't make it better than the suggestions offered though. ;)

I see this as not a workaround for RMerlin's firmware, it is a workaround around the specific browser you seem to prefer. ;)

Many here do not run stock firmware because it doesn't work for us. To each, his own.

Collectively, we try to help everyone here that asks. What is done with our suggestions is outside our control. ;)

For the record, I didn't ask that your preferred browser is changed (permanently). I asked if you tested other browsers to cross off that possible incompatibility. ;)

Do you want to continue to troubleshoot? Or, do you want to just be 'right'? :)

I want the firmware to work as well as the stock one, without compromises. That's why I reported the error.

You seem to want to find an issue with my setup which I don't need and didn't ask for.

The browser I use works fine with stock firmware, it is not a preference, it's a fact. You act like the most popular browser in the world is somehow uniquely chosen by me. Don't make stuff up please.

I have the v. 384.10_2 running on 3 different models (AC87U, AC86U and AX88U) and cannot reproduce this issue on any browser....

I have the v. 384.10_2 running on 3 different models (AC87U, AC86U and AX88U) and cannot reproduce this issue on any browser....
I'm not really sure how that is supposed to help? Seems like more of the attitude I've been shown. Continual deflection and denial of a problem.

It may well be a client name or something similar in my environment. However the stock firmware has no issue with it. If the stock firmware has no issue with my setup than that renders your comment just a distraction.

I want the firmware to work as well as the stock one, without compromises. That's why I reported the error.

You seem to want to find an issue with my setup which I don't need and didn't ask for.

The browser I use works fine with stock firmware, it is not a preference, it's a fact. You act like the most popular browser in the world is somehow uniquely chosen by me. Don't make stuff up please.

Invariably, the stock firmware is inferior to any RMerlin releases. :D

We can't help you troubleshoot if you don't help yourself/us.

The fact that it works with stock firmware with your browser of choice may or may not be the issue. If you can't see past that to even concede that testing it may lead us further to resolving your issue, shrugs. :oops:

Popularity, by itself, has never been a consensus for proof that something is somehow better. You have to stop making stuff up too. ;)

I am also not trying to find an issue with your setup, per se. I am trying to find a common ground from which actual troubleshooting may start.

You don't act as if you seem interested in this though. :rolleyes:

Not from how much I'm trying to help, nor from others attempts either.

Blame hardware? No not the problem it works fine on stock firmware... Deflection much?

Check the forums here, plenty of RT-AC87U owners running either stock firmware or mine have the same issues. The Quantenna portion of the RT-AC87U is well known for its quirks.

Beside, the entire Quantenna firmware is one big pre-compiled file, so that part is 100% identical between both firmware.

I'm not deflecting, I'm reporting based on facts observed over the past years.

I did not ask for help. I came here to report a bug in the firmware, which you guys obviously don't care to acknowledge or wish to even fathom.

I didn't say Chrome was better, you sure do like to embellish...

That's fine as I am perfectly happy running the "working" stock firmware. If I needed to run Merlin then I would be willing to compromise.

I think the client info is not being "escaped" or isolated properly in the webui code. But again you guys don't seem interested in actually discussing the issue, you just want to point blame somewhere else.

Check the forums here, plenty of RT-AC87U owners running either stock firmware or mine have the same issues. The Quantenna portion of the RT-AC87U is well known for its quirks.

Beside, the entire Quantenna firmware is one big pre-compiled file, so that part is 100% identical between both firmware.

I'm not deflecting, I'm reporting based on facts observed over the past years.
But my router works perfect on stock firmware. So not sure how it could be a hardware problem at all...

But my router works perfect on stock firmware. So not sure how it could be a hardware problem at all...

You said the problem appeared after moving from 384.10 to 384.10_2. There was no change to the wifi portion in 384.10_2, which is why I doubt it's firmware-related. One thing to try if you haven't done so yet is a complete electrical reset:

1) Turn off the router
2) Unplug the power
3) While still unplugged turn it on, wait 5 secs, then turn it back off (to drain any residual charge)
4) Plug the power back in, then turn it on

See if it's more stable then.