What's new

RT-AX88U 5.0GHz light not enabled after Merlin firmware reload?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nzwayne

Installing the new 384.13 Alpha2 today, found that if I installed Alpha2 or earlier Alpha1 or earlier still 384.12, after each firmware reload, followed by a "GUI - factory default restore -> Initalise", the 5GHz light would not come on. The 5GHz SSID was visible, but could not logon as Password incorrect. 2.4GHz worked fine.
If I changed the 5GHz channel from Auto to 36, then the 5GHz light turned on, then could logon to the SSID. This occured for all three Merlin levels, repeatable, solid behaviour.
If I used ASUS code "9.0.0.4_384_6375", the 5GHz light turned on after "GUI - factory default restore, Initalise" and could logon to the 5GHz. Back to Merlin code it didn't, back to ASUS code it did.
Solid, repeatable behaviour. Puzzled now...in enjoying about 4hrs of ones life on a Saturday afternoon... :)

Installing the new 384.13 Alpha2 today, found that if I installed Alpha2 or earlier Alpha1 or earlier still 384.12, after each firmware reload, followed by a "GUI - factory default restore -> Initalise", the 5GHz light would not come on. The 5GHz SSID was visible, but could not logon as Password incorrect. 2.4GHz worked fine.
If I changed the 5GHz channel from Auto to 36, then the 5GHz light turned on, then could logon to the SSID. This occured for all three Merlin levels, repeatable, solid behaviour.
If I used ASUS code "9.0.0.4_384_6375", the 5GHz light turned on after "GUI - factory default restore, Initalise" and could logon to the 5GHz. Back to Merlin code it didn't, back to ASUS code it did.
Solid, repeatable behaviour. Puzzled now...in enjoying about 4hrs of ones life on a Saturday afternoon... :)
If you learned something and/or helped someone else your time was well spent.

Yep!! 37yrs now in testing/fixing Mainframe Hardware and Firmware you kinda of get sucked into structured debug. What I found today, with Merlin's 384.13 Alpha2 code you disable the 160MHz and the 5GHz light & wireless doesn't enable if you have "Auto" channel. Enable the 160Mhz, enable "Auto" channel, then the 5GHz light & wireless are active.

Where did you find 384.6375 firmware?
From the ASUS support website for RT-AX88U. From the ZIP file... RT-AX88U_9.0.0.4_384_6375-gba2b04e_cferom_ubi.w

thats a beta firmware its not on support site
I logged into my ASUS account, then "my devices", then selected "RT-AX88U", did this on 9thJuly'19. I tried the same just now....I have no registered devices and all my person info missing...ASUS website having issues. Hopefully all my details of many years restores ok!! Looking at the support site now, that code level not available, guess ASUS must have pulled it as not ready for prime-time!

I logged into my ASUS account, then "my devices", then selected "RT-AX88U", did this on 9thJuly'19. I tried the same just now....I have no registered devices and all my person info missing...ASUS website having issues. Hopefully all my details of many years restores ok!! Looking at the support site now, that code level not available, guess ASUS must have pulled it as not ready for prime-time!
it was never put on the main site Asus have two sites a main site and a beta server you got it of the beta server the beta is for testing only

n
it was never put on the main site Asus have two sites a main site and a beta server you got it of the beta server the beta is for testing only
I work with many hardware and firmware changes daily, have good structure on where from, dates/times etc. This code 384.6375 code came from their GA website access via "my account->my support->RT-AX88U BIOS updates" on 9th July 11:07am (EDT). I don't have access or aware of a ASUS beta site.:cool:

Firmware versions that start with a 9 are beta versions.