What's new

RT-N66U low WAN bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

illfated

Occasional Visitor
I upgraded my internet to a 500MBit line from Vodafone with the CH7466CE Modem/Router.
The RT N66U struggles to reach 200-250MBit while I easily get 500MBit when I'm directly connected to the Modem/Router. I tried the latest legacy merlin firmware and the latest official ASUS one. ASUS one performed a little better but not by much.

The WAN port is supposed to be 1GBit isn't it? Is the CPU of the Router simply too slow to handle 500mbit?

Yes the N66 has 1Gbps WAN port....because it supports speeds greater than 100Mbps. However the CPU itself isn't spec'd to handle 1Gpbs routed traffic. You are maxing out the CPU of the router.

Yes the N66 has 1Gbps WAN port....because it supports speeds greater than 100Mbps. However the CPU itself isn't spec'd to handle 1Gpbs routed traffic. You are maxing out the CPU of the router.
do you know if overclocking the cpu would increase it enough to make the risk worthwhile?
I've just seen the thread that it doesnt really increase VPN performance

Unlikely to do much. I really don't know. Not a huge fan of over clocking. In my past experiences with over clocking anything....you generally will lose either life expectancy or stability...or both.

I was able to hit 450Mb/s with the N-66U using ASUS firmware. Using Merlin/Tomato Advanced, 172Mb/s was the maximum it could go.