What's new

RT-N66U : Wireless upload speeds = 0, ethernet = 18

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vegas22

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have a asus RT-N66u running the default firmware (version 3.0.0.4.380_3831). It is hooked into a DM200 (in modem only mode) using vdsl2 (PPPoE)

I have several computers all connecting via ethernet and they get perfect speeds (approx 80 Mb/s down 18Mb/s up).

However, *any* device e.g. mobile phone, laptop (or even the computer if it is unplugged from ethernet) that connects via Wifi (either 2.4 or 5) gets between 40-70Mb/s download (which is fine and expected) but 0Mb/s upload!

I have done various tests including speedtest.net and all show the same results. download is fine, upload = nothing.

I have tried the following and nothing has altered the issue.

• rebooted the device
  • reset factory settings
  • done a hard reset (pushed in button and rebooted/reset up).
  • Made sure QOS is off (rebooted)
  • switched QOS on and set up/down limits) (rebooted)
  • Turned QOS back off (incase it was still on but not being picked up as off). (rebooted)
  • AI cloud features all set to off.
  • smart sync off
  • sync server off
  • Firewall set to yes and no (rebooted in between).
  • Turned on / off DOS protection (rebooted in between).
  • No VPS set up.
  • Changes WifI channels (I'm in the country and the only other WiFi is BT OpenZone on a different channel + is a weak signal so shouldn't interfere) (rebooted in between).
  • Changed SSID for both 2 and 5 (rebooted in between).
  • WPS off (rebooted).
  • Finally, I downloaded the latest firmware (which it was already using) and re-installed it using admin > firmware upgrade. Rebooted but still same issue.
It is as if something is cutting the upload speed as soon as it starts.

e.g. I run a speed test and download is fine, it starts the upload and within a milisecond it drops from 1-3Mb/s to 0Mb/s.

I'm in the same room as the WiFi.

I'm at a loss as to why the download speeds are fine but the upload is dead.

switching to the horrible BT home hub all works fine (so not an exchange issue).

Any ideas?

Hi, thanks for your help.

Regarding resetting, I have done a 5 seconds (actually did longer) button hold which reset everything but had the same issue. I have also done a reset via the GUI.

Regarding WiFi clients, I have a Note 4, a HTC one and a laptop (2.4 only). All show the same issues, download fine, upload none

"What are your local speeds (LAN to WLAN)?"
I'm not sure how to do this. Speeds on the ethernet devices (using speedtest.net) are 75M/bs down 16-18 Mb/s up).
Speeds on wifi are same for download but 0 for upload

been on the phone with asus and they are also a but stuck as to why this is happening (since anything that would affect wifi would also mess up the download speeds).

Hi, thanks for your help.

Regarding resetting, I have done a 5 seconds (actually did longer) button hold which reset everything but had the same issue. I have also done a reset via the GUI.

Regarding WiFi clients, I have a Note 4, a HTC one and a laptop (2.4 only). All show the same issues, download fine, upload none

"What are your local speeds (LAN to WLAN)?"
I'm not sure how to do this. Speeds on the ethernet devices (using speedtest.net) are 75M/bs down 16-18 Mb/s up).
Speeds on wifi are same for download but 0 for upload

Do some sort of file-transfer between a WiFi device and local wired device. iperf or iperf3 is a good tool for such a test or SMB if you're using that. There are many options. For Android, there's Hurricane Electric's "he.net - Network Tools" on the Play Store, which includes iperf.

Hi,

Just found something interesting, if I connect to a VPN on my Android (6.0.1) phone e.g. Avast secureline, my upload speed rockets back up to 17-18 Mb/s.

Anyone seen anything like this before?