What's new

Security & NAS with built in Apache web server ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AaronD

Occasional Visitor
Guys

What are the security implications of using the inbuilt Apache web server that comes with the QNAP and Synology NAS's to host a web site ? (I'm only asking for QNAP and Synology - as my purchase will be one of these) Especially if you use the Bitorrent client on the NAS ? Or would it be better not to use the Bitorrent client ?

Has anyone got any experience of this ?

I believe Apache can be hacked just like IIS. Just How secure is the Apache Web Server feature on the NAS's ?

As I understand firmware updates are limited to just a few a year, so any security holes are unlikely to be adressed swiftly ? If I am wrong on this - then please let me know.

I am intending to host several web sites on a NAS.

cheers
Aaron

Ps.If I have put this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

Follow up

I've been researching this today and been reading this:

http://isisblogs.poly.edu/2008/04/0...ties-in-all-synology-products/comment-page-1/

and the Synology forum here:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=7304&start=60

Is this cause for concern ?

Does anyone have a view as to whether this is a common issue across the board, with manufactured NAS that offer Apache in the box ?

I may go back to my original plan of a DIY System Server\NAS... damn. I love buying new shiny IT kit :)

Anytime you expose a device to the Internet, you are taking on some risk.

Having the machine behind a router/firewall and opening only the ports required to expose the desired services will help to minimize the risk. Of course, you should also have a strong admin password and not allow remote administration access.

If you must have remote admin access, be sure it is secure and change the default operating port.