What's new

Share internet to Asus router from an iPhone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pitiriguisvi

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Is there a way to use the 3G/4G option in the Asus router but instead of using an Android phone, using an iPhone??

Thanks!

No. Apple's tethering support requires proprietary support.

Ok, so, is there any workaround to do tethering? maybe using bridge mode on Asus router and connecting it to the iphone?

In theory you should be able to use the built-in Wireless Hotspot function of the iPhone, then set the router to Repeater mode.

You could get yourself a wifi to Ethernet bridge and use that to give dual wan support but bridged to the iPhone hotspot.

Just for a test the other day, I tethered my SIM-less Android (rooted HTC M9) to the iPhone, plugged the Android via USB into the Router and activated dual WAN.
Works without a hitch.
Maybe that works for OP too.

thelonelycoder: I dont have android sorry :(

fonix232: how can i set the router (RT-5300) to repeater mode? I have only have: access point / media bridge and main router...

thelonelycoder: I dont have android sorry
Maybe get a cheap used Android device? This could be a more economic option then other new devices, who knows?

I though I could buy a RT-1200G+ (55€) and connect it via media bridge to hotspot of the iPhone, and then connect the RT-1200G+ to the RT-5300 via ethernet. The question here should be: i should deactivate DHCP on RT-5300? It will enter in conflict with the dhcp of iphone?
I want something to just configure dual wan in RT-5300 and switch from one side to another with the less workaround as possible

PD: SORRY for my very bad english

Maybe get a cheap used Android device? This could be a more economic option then other new devices, who knows?

Or get an unlocked 3G dongle that is supported... they'll tend to have better performance and less compromises compared to a handset in tethered mode.

I though I could buy a RT-1200G+ (55€) and connect it via media bridge to hotspot of the iPhone, and then connect the RT-1200G+ to the RT-5300 via ethernet. The question here should be: i should deactivate DHCP on RT-5300? It will enter in conflict with the dhcp of iphone?
I want something to just configure dual wan in RT-5300 and switch from one side to another with the less workaround as possible

PD: SORRY for my very bad english
What is the max speed you want? Buy and old dd-wrt router and use repeater bridge mode from the iPhone WiFi and connect the lan port of the wrt to the wan port of your Asus-Merlin router. I bring an old one with me all the time. I think I have three of them. Here is one in repeater bridge mode that I currently use.
b7321c199202c469292d704fddc9083e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 with Pixel XL build.prop

Can anyone explain the config/setup for this? I have an old router I keep around that does have DD-WRT on it. My internet went out recently and I was trying to figure out how I could use the hot spot from my iPhone to do this.

What is the max speed you want? Buy and old dd-wrt router and use repeater bridge mode from the iPhone WiFi and connect the lan port of the wrt to the wan port of your Asus-Merlin router. I bring an old one with me all the time. I think I have three of them. Here is one in repeater bridge mode that I currently use.

Can anyone explain the config/setup for this? I have an old router I keep around that does have DD-WRT on it. My internet went out recently and I was trying to figure out how I could use the hot spot from my iPhone to do this.
Look up repeater bridge mode for dd-wrt. Then use your hotspot information for the AP the dd-wrt connects to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No. Apple's tethering support requires proprietary support.

@RMerlin The ipheth kernel module has been accepted upstream as of Apr 21 2010 for kernel 2.6.34 and later - please see https://github.com/dgiagio/ipheth and https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/net/usb/ipheth.c

I've done some investigating into what the DD-WRT team did to enable this. From what I can tell they enabled the kernel module, added UI controls to select iPhone and updated their basic settings configuration options in NVRAM to support storing these settings. See https://github.com/mirror/dd-wrt/search?q=iphone&unscoped_q=iphone&type=Commits

This seems pretty doable to add. I'm getting my local build environment going here. @RMerlin does this warrant opening an issue in GitHub to track against?

No, because I still have no plans to implement this. A kernel module is only a small part of the equation, additional work would be required at the firmware level to recognize and support this. I don't touch USB modem support in general, in part because I have no way of testing it.

@RMerlin would you be willing to review/accept a PR for this feature?

Any guidance you may have on test coverage you might like to see is very welcome.

I’ve got the firmware building. Working now on patches to include ipheth kernel module and ipheth-utils. Once I have that, I intend to implement the rest of the feature.

This is exactly what I do for temporary internet outages using an old netgear with dd-wrt