What's new

Share internet to Asus router from an iPhone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would love this feature. Please reconsider.

When I turn the Personal Hotspot feature on on my IPhone on it gives me three methods to share its data connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth and connect using USB cable to your computer.

If you are interested in getting this to work why don't you enable dual wan from a USB source for second WAN then connect your phone to your router and see what happens.

Who knows you may get what you wished for.

OK, i thought i would try and see if could use old iPhone 5s to USB tether. And lo an behold it works. used secondary wan as USB and fallover , unplugged the primary wan from the NBN box .
The iphone settings with wifi off (mobile only)and personal hotpot on with usb only and trust computer and bingo i am know typing this and web pages load on 4g.
Using Asus RT-AC86U with latest firmware

Looks like in the latest update to the Router App on iOS today, this is now possible. Does your software support this? Or nothing needs to be done. Thank you.
Asus added it to some models a few releases ago. I don't remember which firmware release added it, or which router models were supported.

If it's a 388 firmware release, then support was also added in my firmware when that GPL version was merged in.

Asus added it to some models a few releases ago. I don't remember which firmware release added it, or which router models were supported.

If it's a 388 firmware release, then support was also added in my firmware when that GPL version was merged in.
Yep. I was actually able to make that work last night (AX86U). Thank you!

Damn i cant get it with the AXE16000 anyone tried one of these? I am getting 300mbps with tmobile here right now and like 30Mbps up which is double what my broadband i pay a fortune for is possible of getting and i have the best possible plan you can get around here. If i could aggragate my phone or ip into the wan when im home and triple my up bandwidth it would be great! Are there any settings that might need to be done? Most of them in the router firmware seem obsolete referring to LTE bands and stuff for the APN settings so maybe Merlin doesnt have the updates needed on the firmware out yet?

I got it working with maximize compatibility on and playing with ttl and mtu settings

I have it working rn where i am getting 30 mbps with balance loading 3 to 1 with the broadband as primary but the thing is it cuts my upload to only 125 from 400. not the end of the world I can get more download from them its the upload thats always been super limited to like 10 mbps or lower most days no matter what plan even if you get 1000 down the up stays at 10 so ive already tripled that. i think with the right settings aggregating them i could get 500 down and 40-50 up but i have no clue and cant find anything about tweaking these weird settings for this application.

vs spectrum alone best and worst vs 5G t mobile and spectrum aggregated with ipad pro 6th gen right now. MTU at 1440 and both ttl settings on i left the rest of the settings i think if it were dialed in it would be perfect. It shows this- YOUR ISP'S DHCP DOES NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY. in asus its not the usb thats an issue i think its almost just completely using the t-mobile right now and the dhcp on the broadband isnt allowing it to aggragate.

Last edited: