What's new

Synology 212j and Asus RT N66U on Merlin 378.54_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ballibeg

Occasional Visitor
Morning,

I'm not getting the speeds I ought to with my Synology on my LAN. If I plug the Synology directly into my PC with ethernet cable the Synology reports itself at 1000 full duplex as it should.

If I put the N66u between the PC and Synology it drops to 100.

All the links I can see in my network are 2 cables, 1 pc and 1 synology. Both cables will connect direct PC-Synology at 1000. The Asus reports PC as 1000 but Synology as only 100. Therefore weak link N66U?

Not got huge depth of knowledge here folks so may have missed the obvious.

Thanks,

Dave

Try setting the Jumbo frames options the same on all devices on your network, but especially the router and the NAS.

Also suggest to turn off all network equipment and pull the plug once they're off (for the modem, router and any switches you have; simply pull the plug). Leave them like that for half an hour or more.

Then, plug in the modem and turn it on, then wait for 5 minutes.

Plug in the router, turn it on and wait for another 5 minutes.

Plug in any switches and the NAS, turn it on.

Turn on any other clients that are wired to the router.

Hopefully this simple process can reset the Ethernet ports to their proper settings.

With BT infinity coming I have a HH5 to play with.

PC-------->Synology CONNECTION is 1000
PC-------------->HH5---------------->synology CONNECTION is 100 (HH5 reports connection as gigabit, Synology as 100)
PC-------------->Asus N66u---------->synology CONNECTION is 100 (Asus reports connection as gigabit, Synology as 100)

So frustrating.

Dave

So auto negotiate is failing. That's usually indicative of either a bad cable or something wrong with the ethernet port. I'd take a look at the Synology first.

So auto negotiate is failing. That's usually indicative of either a bad cable or something wrong with the ethernet port. I'd take a look at the Synology first.

Debug file sent to Synology support taken when connected at 1000 direct to PC.

Hope they can help.

Thanks.

Thanks. Will do today as we've infinity coming in.

Some devices for one reason or another don't play nice together.

Buy a cheap 5 port 1GBe switch and place between the offending devices. Do not plug anything else into that switch. This is not guaranteed to work, and it may take more than one try with different brands or models, but it has proven to work for some.

Emphasis on the word cheap. I picked up a couple of 5-port Netgear switches once at Goodwill for $5 each or something like that. Perfect for testing.

I get the drift, there's a few on Amazon.

Makes a mockery of my gigabit network I wired through the house. So a cheap switch may get NAS and PC talking but the other PC's around the house will still get only fast Ethernet.

If you can get the Synology to negotiate a Gig connection with the switch and you can get the Asus router to do the same, put the switch in between the NAS and the router. Then everybody gets Gigabit.

Well Synology have been helpful and steadily run lots of tests etc but today I received,

'Thank you for your patience with this matter.

We have received a response from Head Office who believe there is a fault with the NAS device's LAN Port. They have looked at the debug logs provided and can see that when the device was connected to the Laptop directly, achieving a 1Gbps connection, there were stability issues with the connection. This explains that when you were connected via Router, this only achieved a 100Mbps connection as this was the most stable connection available.

If you are able to provide a Proof of Purchase within the last 2 years, then this will still be covered under the warranty for the device, however, if this device is no longer in warranty, we will not be able to replace this. In this case, you may need to look at a company who can repair Synology devices or potentially looking at replacing the device, or sticking with your current device.'

I'm out of warranty.

I wouldn't conclude to a defective NAS port just yet. Test everything by using different Ethernet cables first. If you are using in-house wiring, that'd be my first guess as to where your problem lies. Remove that entire wiring from the equation by testing with short patch cables directly between the NAS and the router.

Check that the cable you are using is at least cat5e and below 100 meters. Sometimes network devices reduce from gigabit to 100Mb/s if there are too many errors. This can be the resultant of insufficient hardware resources, interference such as power lines, corruption due to firmware or invalid protocols.

If you can see a counter for tx and rx errors it will help you determine where the problem is. If the errors on the transmission to router side only that means the router has insufficient resources or has protocol/firmware issues. If you see rx and tx errors than there is interference or the cable might be in bad shape. If the errors are on the receiving side and your NAS has the hardware resource than the problem is in protocol/firmware on the underlaying chip relating to layer 2 or layer 1.

ive had this problem before but i solved it using different cables and ensuring that my router (different but MIPS based) was set to stock speeds and wasnt overheating.

I wouldn't conclude to a defective NAS port just yet. Test everything by using different Ethernet cables first. If you are using in-house wiring, that'd be my first guess as to where your problem lies. Remove that entire wiring from the equation by testing with short patch cables directly between the NAS and the router.

Thanks Merlin.

Tests were done with a short patch cable between Synology and pc and synology -asus- pc. Appreciate the input SEM, I havent investigated the debug logs or the output from the utility Synology placed on my NAS. It's beyond me! I am going to pop open the NAS and check for any *obvious* problems around the LAN port. I've noy given up!