What's new

Throughput on an RT-AC68U with hardware acceleration disabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vandergraff

Regular Contributor
I just moved from an RT-N66U to a RT-AC68U and am running the latest Asuswrt-Merlin build (380.59)

My internet connection is Comcast Blast! rated at 150 /10 (which seems to be provisioned around 180 / 12).

To get full speed on the RT-N66 I had to enable hardware acceleration (and disable per IP bandwidth monitoring). I was hoping that the faster processor on the RT-AC68 would allow me to enable IP monitoring and get full throughput. However I seem to max out at around 150 down on IPv4 and only 50 down on IPv6. Previously I was getting about the same (mid 170's on both IPv4 and IPv6)

Here is a test today with the RT-AC68

1307931984.png

Here is a test from last September with the RT-N66

1030225344.png

Am I hitting the max throughput of the RT-AC68 with hardware acceleration disabled? Note I also had Adaptive QoS enabled in the default mode. Also any ideas whats going on with the IPv6 speeds?

My internet connection is Comcast Blast! rated at 150 /10 (which seems to be provisioned around 180 / 12).

that's turboBoost (or whatever Comcast calls it) - neat trick to boot short term transfers, and a neat way to game speedtest.net

Try dslreports.com/speedtest to get a better number - even though, there the carriers are trying to game that one as well...

The RT-AC68U should have no problem reaching 350 Mbps, provided you don't use too complex rules for Parental Control, QoS, etc...

that's turboBoost (or whatever Comcast calls it) - neat trick to boot short term transfers, and a neat way to game speedtest.net

Comcast no longer uses PowerBoost.

What they do now is slightly over-provision whatever tier you are provisioned for.

So if you had 50/5 you would get 60/6 or close to it. Higher tiers may have a bigger difference.

Last edited:

Try dslreports.com/speedtest to get a better number - even though, there the carriers are trying to game that one as well...

They haven't done that for years.

I have tested with DSLReports many times - with the RT-N66 it was regularly getting ~ 180 Mbps - now the RT-AC68 gets 50 Mbps (dslreports speed test only uses IPv6 if available).

Previous tests with RT-N66

3900232.png

Current test with the RT-AC68

4091214.png

Last edited:
Yes adaptive QoS on default settings and AiProtection components

the simple test is to switch one component of at a time to see whats causing it as the 68u here does my 100/40M fiber connection all day long with all those set

Comcast no longer uses PowerBoost.

What they do now is slightly over-provision whatever tier you are provisioned for.

So if you had 50/5 you would get 60/6 or close to it. Higher tiers may have a bigger difference.

That's still powerboost... there's a lot of knobs that they can turn...

CoxHSI deployed it (as did many other CableCo's), but they were fairly conservative...

The DSLReports speedtest shows this clearly - you'll see the boost until it backs off...

That's still powerboost

CoxHSI deployed it (as did many other CableCo's), but they were fairly conservative...

The DSLReports speedtest shows this clearly - you'll see the boost until it backs off...

I don't think you understand what I am trying to say.

The config file sent to the modem is set at a higher speed up and down then what you pay for. The speed stays the same no matter how long you are uploading or downloading as the modem is set for that speed. There is no surge at the start.

DSL reports test starts and ends at the same speed for me.

DSL reports test starts and ends at the same speed for me.

so they've retooled the params... easy enough to game the benchmarks

I guess you're not understanding me... do you work for Comcast or similar?

(the implication here is maybe I do...)

A few months ago, my ISP decided to quietly increase their cable profiles by 10%, turning my 30 Mbps into a 33 Mbps connection, and my upstream going to 11 Mbps. Mind you, they did that around the same time that some organism (I forgot if it was the CRTC or another one) were conducting speed surveys of Canadian ISPs. What a coincidence...

Wouldn't surprise me if other ISPs also did the same thing.

A few months ago, my ISP decided to quietly increase their cable profiles by 10%, turning my 30 Mbps into a 33 Mbps connection, and my upstream going to 11 Mbps. Mind you, they did that around the same time that some organism (I forgot if it was the CRTC or another one) were conducting speed surveys of Canadian ISPs. What a coincidence...

Wouldn't surprise me if other ISPs also did the same thing.

yes and no...

between powerboost like things, and residential bandwidth promises... (and most broadband is residential) - those bandwidth's are "up to"...

When you get into business rate plans - it's a bit different - not minding the support extras - business rate plans have a minimum - in other works - they'll guarantee that uplink/downlink is XX up/YY down - and that's a tell for those on residential rateplans..

I don't care how fast it goes, I care about how slow it can be... and latency is a very big deal...

For others searching this topic as I posted here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac56u-slow-ipv6-speeds.30300/#post-265423

Turning off AiProtection Vulnerability Protection and QOS then got me back to 160+ Mbps on IPv6

So 6+ month later AiProtection Vulnerability Protection still kills IPv6 performance.

After checking various options I have just turned off IPv6 and enabled all AiProtection options and Adaptive QOS. Get consistent 180 Mpbs down and 12 Mbps up on DSLReports test (which is the speed of my ISP connection)

I don't lose any actual functionality on clients and have better protection and QOS.

Would still prefer to have IPv6 on as well as AiProtection/QOS - would be great if it can be fixed (presumably by Asus / TrendMicro). Doesn't seem to be any real reason why IPv6 should take such a hit (down to about 80 Mbps) with AiProtection Vulnerability Protection enabled.

(Full disclosure - my AC68 is now my router with WiFi disabled and with an Orbi router / satellite system providing WiFi coverage - Orbi router is in AP mode. The Orbi now gives me full speed 180 Mps in all locations in larger multi-story home where AC68 plus various extenders had failed to provide consistent coverage and much lower speeds at remote locations)

Currently running 64_2 on my AC68

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!