What's new

TP-Link Archer C2600 - No DFS available? German channels are extremely limited (5ghz)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whatsupdude

Occasional Visitor
Tp-Link is making me chose my country in the wifi settings, which makes sense I guess, but when I choose Germany, all I get is channels 36, 40, 44 and 48. The hell?

When selecting US I get the additional US channels, but why not for Germany? I've selected Denmark just for testing as well, but Denkmark also only gets 4 channels.

Each country has different limits for 5 GHz. European countries are quite restrictive.
DFS is generally not supported in consumer wireless products.

Can't say I agree with that statement. I've had 3 different routers that were capable of 5ghz and all of them supported dfs. They were all typical consumer products.

I've just been on the phone with tp-link support and they said that the c2600 isn't dfs certified yet, since it's still so new, but they're expecting to release a firmware update that includes dfs functionality in a month or so.

Can't say I agree with that statement. I've had 3 different routers that were capable of 5ghz and all of them supported dfs. They were all typical consumer products.
Could you please name the products?

There are products out there that support DFS, but will not allow you to manually set the channels - leaving them in Auto, they'll scan into them and listen first, and then settle...

Fritzbox 7390, synology ac1900, asus ac87u
Thanks.
RMerlin: What is your experience with DFS support in general in ASUS routers? I don't see the channels exposed in the U.S. region for anything I test, ASUS or other.

There are products out there that support DFS, but will not allow you to manually set the channels - leaving them in Auto, they'll scan into them and listen first, and then settle...
I would think that's the way they would have to do it, given the nature of DFS. But the channels are not exposed in the GUI, even if they are greyed out.

I would think that's the way they would have to do it, given the nature of DFS. But the channels are not exposed in the GUI, even if they are greyed out.

Exactly - many chipsets do this as part of their OBSS scans (required as part of 11n), so makes sense to allow the chip into that space...

A nice way to work around the DFS listen before transmit, the client can assume that the AP has already done that (otherwise it wouldn't be there) - Apple Airports do this in Auto mode (AC and 11n models)

Exactly - many chipsets do this as part of their OBSS scans (required as part of 11n), so makes sense to allow the chip into that space...

A nice way to work around the DFS listen before transmit, the client can assume that the AP has already done that (otherwise it wouldn't be there) - Apple Airports do this in Auto mode (AC and 11n models)

My apple extreme gives me a DFS channel in auto mode, over here in EU.
The following gear gives me selectable DFS channels, with stock fw, without problem:
Engenius ecb1750h
Dlink dap 2660
Netgear R7000
Asus Ac87u
Asus Ac66u

Thanks all. I obviously stand corrected regarding my previous comment.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I obviously stand corrected regarding my previous comment.

Could you mention what channels are supported when doing reviews?

Asus RT-AC68U supports DFS but channels 120 - 128 are not available. Weather radars use channels 120 - 128 and there are some extra restrictions. That might be the reason why there is no support for channels 120 - 128.

Could you mention what channels are supported when doing reviews?
I generally do, but only the channels explicitly shown. Since it sounds like DFS channels are shown only by an auto scan, there isn't a practical way to test for them. Manufacturers don't list supported channels in specs, either.
I will have to ask manufacturers for the information.

Does this router support DD-WRT or Tamato? Maybe you can flash it to unlock the channels.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!