What's new

TP-Link Releases First Wireless AD7200 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
Updated - TP-LINK today announced its Talon AD7200 Multi-Band Wi-Fi Router is now available. The product was announced at CES 2016.

TPLinkTalonAD7200Angle.jpg

The Talon AD7200 is a 4x4 Qualcomm-based MU-MIMO enabled AC2600 class router with an integrated single-stream 802.11ad radio supporting a 4600 Mbps maximum link rate. The 4x4 2.4 and 5 GHz radios support maximum link rates of 800 Mbps and 1733 Mbps, respectively. MU-MIMO is also supported on the 5 GHz radio.

Hardware specs include a 1.4 GHz dual-core processor, eight high-gain antennas, five Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN, and 4 LAN) and two USB 3.0 ports supporting printer and storage sharing. TP-LINK says Smart Connect automatic band steering will be supported for the Wi-Fi radios in a future firmware update.

TPLinkTalonAD7200Back.jpg

Other features include Guest Networks (2.4 and 5 GHz only), PPTP and OpenVPN, IPv6 support and parental controls.

Once again, routers are running ahead of devices that can take advantage of their advertised highest speeds. 802.11ad device volume to date has been driven by Dell Ultrabooks and high-performance Dell mobile workstations and the D5000 Wireless Dock, which don't require 802.11d in a router.
blank.png
CNX-Software reported in March that a Chinese smartphone from LeEcho and that Acer and Asus are working on 802.11ad notebooks.

Update: A TP-LINK spokesperson let us know several Acer TravelMate P446 series laptops currently support AD technology.

The Talon AD7200 has an MSRP of $349.99 and is available now on Newegg.com, and in Fry’s and Microcenter stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
man 60ghz wifi / how far away from the router will it work

having read just a bit of this tech anyone want to explain why its needed for the average home user as the explanations even on Wikipedia overwhelm me lol

tbh i expected 900mhz wifi before this or was i just confused as always

pete

Much less range then 5 ghz and virtually can't penetrate much of anything. I think the only use of 60 ghz would be very close to the router in the same room. Not really worth anything in my opinion.

thats what im thinking , if it has to be that close why would you bother unless it doesnt have ethernet like smart home stuff

Overpriced... all I have to say. I may be an enthusiast, but I'm not crazy yet to throw more than 300 bucks for a router, no matter how much it offers

60 GHz has always been regarded as primarily same-room / line-of-sight technology. It might reach through one wall, but at significantly reduced throughput.

At CES 2016, Qualcomm showed 11ad working across the span of their very large booth. But that was with much more advanced antenna arrays than you'll find in consumer products.

The primary applications will be cable-less very large file tranfers (4k photos, videos). Wi-Fi, even AC takes a long time to get media files on and off phones and tablets. There is also screen mirroring (Chromecast, etc.) without eating up Wi-Fi bandwidth.

900 MHz is long range, but much lower bit rate. So it's more interesting for Smart Home IoT applications, where it has to butt heads with Zigbee. Definitely not as sexy or saleable as those bigger numbers on the boxes!

60 GHz has always been regarded as primarily same-room / line-of-sight technology. It might reach through one wall, but at significantly reduced throughput.

I don't really see a practical reason for 60 ghz. I doubt anybody will spend money for it or even consider it seriously. Just no bang for the buck. o_O

60 GHz might work for fast backups, e.g., if it can do full gigabit throughput within the room, then a user may be able to perform a fast incremental backup of a phone, tablet, laptop, or other device. I just wish they would have added at least 1 10GbE port.

Overall I want for there to be a simple and fast way for mobile devices to quickly perform automated backups asvsoon as you step into the room, and place the device on on the inductive charger.

Available now; buy it and get an instant $350 paper weight (locked firmware, no third party support at all, old bits and pieces of insecure code from a decade or more ago).

Whoever buys this is sure to get a rude awakening. :(

Available now; buy it and get an instant $350 paper weight (locked firmware, no third party support at all, old bits and pieces of insecure code from a decade or more ago).

Whoever buys this is sure to get a rude awakening. :(

Any chance they will decide that the whole locking down of the firmware was a huge mistake, and decide to fix that huge issue?

There is a chance that they may have not realized that they locked the firmware down, or might not remember it, or thought that it only happened in a nightmare.

Not much of a chance.. Remember 97.5 % of people who have a router has no idea what firmware is or even think about any upgrades. And then would have NO clue how to even do it. It's people like us that keep third party alive.

Any chance they will decide that the whole locking down of the firmware was a huge mistake, and decide to fix that huge issue?

There is a chance that they may have not realized that they locked the firmware down, or might not remember it, or thought that it only happened in a nightmare.

No. Just checked, I'm awake and not dreaming. This lock down happened.

its not in tp links buisness model to put much effort into after sales r and d , its far easier and cheaper just to lock it down

Remember 97.5 % of people who have a router has no idea what firmware is or even think about any upgrades. And then would have NO clue how to even do it.

exactly to the majority this is no more than a storm in a tea cup

Last edited:
Stay on topic, please. There an other threads established where you can continue to rant about the new firmware rules.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!