What's new

TP-LINK TL-ER5120 Multiwan Router (350MB throughput for $250) - Anyone use this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The latest so far is that Amazon Instant Videos and Netflix @ 1080p plays much better than it did with prior two routers I had from Cisco. I don't see that Buffering popping up during the movie.

I've also did some more tweaking to the configuration to boost performance some more out of the TL-ER5120. I've ran everything from BT, 1080p streaming on 3x SONY SMP-N100 wired 100mpbs or wireless 802.11n @ 40MHz 60p frames feature @ 1080p no issues. I've even watched that new versions of STO and the enterprise streams to space with no issues.

Besides the media side accessing MS Access 2010 database files, Excel, creating PDF and also using a Brother WiFi with ePrint access via Android tablet to scan and print or scan and send to a Box or dropbox or gmail. Works so smooth.

On top of this no overheating. The metal case stays cool to the touch.

TP Link keeps on Trucking

I have to say I continue to enjoy the performance out of the TP-ER5120.. I noticed that some folks were discussing the 6120 I eliminated as a choice because I did not need the VPN feature set. Also it was clear that the performance toll on the processor would impact overall speeds. I am still highly satisfied with my 'rig'.

-ssg

Nothing better than this wired router. I don't have any trouble with it. Now to pair up good switch with it is my present goal. I did try the Netgear GS761T-200 Smart Switch. What a huge failure out of the box buggy firmware, hardware and management software. So I've opt in for TP-LINK JetStream L2 Managed Switch TL-SG3216 got this at great price $100 less than any other vendors around. I should that in 3 days. WEB UI Emulator for the 24p Gig Poe close to this one looks just like the TL-ER5120 WEB UI except more gear for switch management.

Last edited:
QoS

Tipster/scoudi (or anyone familiar with this router):

I am seriously considering this router to replace my aging DIR-655. I just tried a DIR-827 and it's simply too buggy. So it's either an Asus or perhaps this. As I posted I've got a pretty complicated set up . I don't need wireless (I've got several wireless AP located where I need them. What I need is excellent intra-LAN routing and good LAN-WAN. I also would like robust QoS capabilities.

I noticed that ER5120 has bandwith control. However, I cannot tell if you can create a bandwidth control policy based on TCP/UDP port use. For example, rather than give priority to a particular device (i.e. IP or MAC address) or a particular physical LAN port on the device I'd like to create a policy that gives priority to any device using TCP port XXXX. Is that possible on this router? If so, how is it done?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tipster/scoudi (or anyone familiar with this router):

I am seriously considering this router to replace my aging DIR-655. I just tried a DIR-827 and it's simply too buggy. So it's either an Asus or perhaps this. As I posted ( http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7732 ) I've got a pretty complicated set up (with lots of VOIP video phones, IP security cameras servers etc). I don't need wireless (I've got several wireless AP located where I need them. What I need is excellent intra-LAN routing and good LAN-WAN. I also would like robust QoS capabilities.

I noticed that ER5120 has bandwith control. However, I cannot tell if you can create a bandwidth control policy based on TCP/UDP port use. For example, rather than give priority to a particular device (i.e. IP or MAC address) or a particular physical LAN port on the device I'd like to create a policy that gives priority to any device using TCP port 5060-5080. Is that possible on this router? If so, how is it done?

Thanks!

Best you spend a few bucks more for the TL-ER6120 has better features and even if you don't use the VPN tunneling you can disable that. This one has dual WAN where as the TL-ER5120 has quad WAN. But it's older design. There is an issues with managed ports where it won't change after you change it the first time. When you try to change it the second time it sticks. Even if you do a factory reset it will clear it out. But if you store from your backup config then it will put the same glitch back in there. I've told the engineer contact I have at TP-LINK the issue but they don't have much info on their SMB products yet. No excuse I say.

TL-ER6120 no issues after you run the latest firmware update it really spins. Now with my new D3 ubee modem with 1000mbps port set out of the factory to 1000 mbps / full duplex instead of auto I can now set the managed WAN switch on the TL-ER6120 to 1000m FD = Full Duplex. Since going this route I've beef up my downloads to 50mb down. I was considering going 105 to 150mb but the price get's expensive to do so. 50-60mb is good enough for me.

Best you spend a few bucks more for the TL-ER6120 has better features and even if you don't use the VPN tunneling you can disable that. This one has dual WAN where as the TL-ER5120 has quad WAN. But it's older design. There is an issues with managed ports where it won't change after you change it the first time. When you try to change it the second time it sticks. Even if you do a factory reset it will clear it out. But if you store from your backup config then it will put the same glitch back in there. I've told the engineer contact I have at TP-LINK the issue but they don't have much info on their SMB products yet. No excuse I say.

TL-ER6120 no issues after you run the latest firmware update it really spins. Now with my new D3 ubee modem with 1000mbps port set out of the factory to 1000 mbps / full duplex instead of auto I can now set the managed WAN switch on the TL-ER6120 to 1000m FD = Full Duplex. Since going this route I've beef up my downloads to 50mb down. I was considering going 105 to 150mb but the price get's expensive to do so. 50-60mb is good enough for me.

Thanks. But it's a little late. I installed the ER5120 last night. I totally agree that these boxes put consumer routers to shame. I've got a 15u rack with with 24 port POE switch, a server and a connection block. Had enough room to mount this bad boy. I had been reviewing the manual for the router over the week so setting it up went very easily. The interface is quite snappy, especially compared to the D-Link DIR-827 I tried out. I also like that you don't have to reboot after every change and that when you do, the router is back up in 15 seconds at most.

I'm getting 50Mbps down and 5 up on a 50/5 (TWC Ultimate) connection. My MOS is steady at 4.3 (about as good as you can get).

As far as QoS, I learned from TP-Link that these models do not currently support bandwith control policies based on TCP/UDP port. On the other hand, I'm beginning to doubt that I'll need it. As much as I've got going on in my network, I don't think I've got anything close to a bottleneck. I'm going to keep my eye on the logs for a week or so and see whether I really need to do QoS at all. If so, an IP address based policy should work fine for me.

So, my initial impression is very, very favorable. This is a serious router that really is still easy to set up (although it has enough features to keep you busy). BTW: If you upgrade the firmware (as I did), don't freak out if the screen hangs at 74% completion. That happened to me, but I think it was simply resetting.

Last edited:
Guys, beware because the TL-ER5120 and the TL-ER6120 have VERY SERIOUS security flaws...

I am in contact with TP-Link for over 2 months now, and so far, they not found a solution for this problems yet... So, while they not release a fix, I recommend caution and, if possible, avoid buying these 2 products.

Last edited:
Guys, beware because the TL-ER5120 and the TL-ER6120 have VERY SERIOUS security flaws...

I am in contact with TP-Link for over 2 months now, and so far, they not found a solution for this problems yet... So, while they not release a fix, I recommend caution and, if possible, avoid buying these 2 products.

Gosh, that sounds pretty serious. Do you think you could tell us what the security flaws are? (With all due respect, posting something like that without any detail can seem a little trollish.)

Would you care to expand? I've so far installed a couple of TL-WR1043ND routers for private households, and they perform very well. This is why I got interested in TP-Link small business routers, too. (I need to replace some Zyxel routers which seriously limit the VDSL and cable internet bandwidth which is available nowadays.)

What are the specific security flaws with the TL-ER[56]120 routers that potential buyers should need to be aware of? Are you indeed stating that the manufacturer has declined to help resolve issues which you noticed more than two months ago? Can you provide relevant email quotations?

Last edited:

Good you in contact with them too. I should put you on the chain email. But what issues are you seeing. So far the ER6120 with the latest updates have not given any issues either way. Can you share what your having issues with?

Gosh, that sounds pretty serious. Do you think you could tell us what the security flaws are? (With all due respect, posting something like that without any detail can seem a little trollish.)

Unless he doesn't own the product kinda hard to say what going on? I don't have any issues so far. I use more layers of protection for I/O on all network clients sure this ER6120 has enough protections so does the SafeStream L2 switch from them too.

Unless he doesn't own the product kinda hard to say what going on? I don't have any issues so far. I use more layers of protection for I/O on all network clients sure this ER6120 has enough protections so does the SafeStream L2 switch from them too.

Yeah, I don't know. I haven't previously read anything relating to problems with security. Given that he didn't specify the issue and that this was his first post, I just a little bit skeptical. We'll see if he provides more detail.

Yeah, I don't know. I haven't previously read anything relating to problems with security. Given that he didn't specify the issue and that this was his first post, I just a little bit skeptical. We'll see if he provides more detail.

You can test the router out yourself with shields-up and couple of web sites that offer such feature. I haven't had any issues. The extra Layer on the SafeStream and JetStream if need provide a lot of protection for security.

Considering the severity of the problem, show the details here can expose several people who use this routers in their Home/Small Business, and I'm sure no one would like that...

However, if you are using the models I mentioned before (especially the 6120), I can prove to you what I'm saying... Just pass me your MSN and I show you how serious this fault is.

PS.: I want to make clear that the only models I've done tests were the TL-ER5120 and the TL-ER6120, therefore, I can not tell if this flaw is general (presents in all TP-Link Routers) or if is an isolate problem (present only on 5120/6120 models).

Last edited:
Considering the severity of the problem, show the details here can expose several people who use this routers in their Home/Small Business, and I'm sure no one would like that...

However, if you are using the models I mentioned before (especially the 6120), I can prove to you what I'm saying... Just pass me your MSN and I show you how serious this fault is.

PS.: I want to make clear that the only models I've done tests were the TL-ER5120 and the TL-ER6120, therefore, I can not tell if this flaw is general (presents in all TP-Link Routers) or if is an isolate problem (present only on 5120/6120 models).

When last did you test this on what firmware?
Are you referring to the PTF AND BACKBOX LINUX?

Last edited:

Are you kidding? You post ON A PUBLIC FORUM that there are security flaws with certain products and offer to share information only via an instant messager which is not exactly known for its security?

Sorry, but this is beginning to sound like a scam. If you cannot at least give a hint or state very good reasons for keeping the security flaws secret, I am now going to assume that you are attempting to spread malware via MSN. :rolleyes:

Since you took the trouble to register with this forum why not use the provided private messaging system if you think your information is too valuable to be posted in public? Start with me and send me a PM about this.

I am inclined to ask TP-Link support about this matter.

When last did you test this on what firmware?

My last test was yesterday, with the last firmware.

http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/software/TL-ER6120_V1_120719.zip

Are you referring to the PTF AND BACKBOX LINUX?

No.

Are you kidding? You post ON A PUBLIC FORUM that there are security flaws with certain products and offer to share information only via an instant messager which is not exactly known for its security?

Sorry, but this is beginning to sound like a scam. If you cannot at least give a hint or state very good reasons for keeping the security flaws secret, I am now going to assume that you are attempting to spread malware via MSN. :rolleyes:

Since you took the trouble to register with this forum why not use the provided private messaging system if you think your information is too valuable to be posted in public? Start with me and send me a PM about this.

I am inclined to ask TP-Link support about this matter.

My friend, I am also a consumer, and I also have a TL-ER6120 so, my only intention with this posts is warn people about the current vulnerability of these models....

And like I said, tell the details of the failure here (or anywhere else), would expose the users of this equipments (including me).... One thing is alert about the flaw, another thing, completely different, is teach people how to use them.

And I asked your MSN not to tell you the details of the failure, but just to give an example what I'm talking about. But if you're afraid to spend your time in MSN with me, thinking I am a "scam", well, then just pass me your IP (through PM) and I'll show you.

PS.: http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4377/bdsmnb26000080002012999.jpg

Last edited:
Rather than have you demonstrate the flaw, would you please PM me a description of the flaw. If it affects my set up then I would like to know. Also, I would think that if there is, indeed, a flaw then the more of us who bring it to the attention of TP-Link the better.

MSN I am not on that anymore.. I've ran all the ports, scam, etc test on mine doesn't how any holes. I don't use DMZ feature nor the VPN tunnel is disabled. You have 3 ports in use, so you don't have the JetStream has add L2 protections for outgoing.. Unless your using some sort of online gaming and found a hole they you need to tell us instead of hiding it.