What's new

TP-LINK TL-ER5120 Multiwan Router (350MB throughput for $250) - Anyone use this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am writing this as I am attacking myself with 2 quad cores and one Xeon base server. The TP-Link ER6120 has not failed and is still working. I performed 1 test with standard sized packets and I reached the threshold of 500 packets per second so the Flood defense module is kicking in and I see a log entry (really a whole lot of log entries) “detected wan ping attack dropped 21 packets”.

So now I know the flood module works I will move to large packets. I configured the largest packet windows 7 and Vista could handle and shortest time interval and I began my attack. The flood module kicked in and created log entries with the following “detected large ping attack dropped 20 packets”. This message just keeps repeating.

The newer Windows does not seem to allow the ping of death any more but the ping of death will cause many routers and servers to fail. I don’t think it would be a fair test.

So what next?

Last edited:
The router is secured! I go to sites that most don't even venture out too. Security on this device is one of the best without the usage of Bull Coat box or Firewall Security Box.

TP-LINK Enterprise version of Routers just the best I've seen. That other guy all he had to do is contact all TP-LINK throughout the world. I just did the USA and the source. Also Europe.

Just sent them a letter and send them proof. I've told them about the issue and this forum. They care about their customers and products.

I rest my case.

Thanks for confirming what I know already this Router Rocks! ;)

I really like this router. During the whole testing of this router I never had to reboot the router. I ripped out one network and inserted it in another network and it just adjusted fine without any problems. Most consumer routers would require a reboot; they cannot handle a massive change like this without a reboot. The TP-Link ER6120 is just so stable. It takes everything in stride.

Have you upgraded your firmware? It is a 2 minute job. It installs and reboots and you’re done. It is very easy.

Hello,

i am using the TL-ER6120 with a DSL and a cable Connection. The router is working so far but i am not getting the full speed of my cable connection. it is 10 to 16MBit instead of ~100MBit.

The cable connection ist on wan1 and the dsl line on wan2. Both connections use a avm Fritzbox as a router. The bridging mode is not usable due to ISP limitations.

i hope you can help me. Thanks

I don’t know anything about an avm Fritzbox but it looks like it is a full router. I would never run a dual firewall setup or 2 routers setup vertically. It is much too hard to manage your firewall setup that way and it creates double NAT scenario which reduces your packet carrying capacity for data.
This means every packet will carry less of your wanted data.

Setting all the above aside I would start basic trouble shooting. Checking cables, port mismatch, etc. Then did you check your settings for maxium speed in the dual set up for the ER6120 router. Maybe start with just one connection and try trouble shooting. I assume you are seeing a 100 MBit without the ER6120 router.
PS.
I just noticed the Fritzbox 3370 has a limit of 16 MBit for ADSL2+.
It maybe is how you have the connections defined in the ER6120 router.

Last edited:
In some countries they have to run a special modem or extra router for their ADSL. If doing so they download speeds will be lower than what we have here straight through no restrictions.
So if your downloads speeds or WAN speed is less than the port speed and that will be it for you. Router can only produce what your getting in full or half throughput.

1GB Cable Modem
D3 Port (port is set to full 1000mbps)

ISP
105mbps down 20 up (no power boost)

Connection outside
( just the internet (3.0GHz Ground RG6 Joiner, no splitters, no digital phone, no CATV))

Router
(WAN port is set to 105mbps) but yields upto 132mbps down and 20 up

I ran across this router accidentally while looking for a repair service for a hissing (bad caps) Cisco rv042.

I have two rv016's, a Netgear FVS114, and Netgear FVS124G running gateway to gateway VPN tunnels (3 tunnels each total). The problem with these devices is that they lock up or have some sort of issue daily or at least every week. I've written a script to reboot them every day, but that's just a band-aid.

I've looked at the simulator and specs on the vpn router. Seems quite nice. But does anyone have any real-world experience with using these in a gateway to gateway configuration as well as uptime data? Any assistance appreciated.

Not being used on this end that way.

One of several security problems in this router is that it crashes when it detects what he considers to be an attempt of DOS / DDOS attack. Example.: If I send 1 Mbps ("attacker" side) to 1 Gbps link (TP-Link side) the TL-6120 hangs... And it crashes not because of the attack itself (as 1 Mbps is not able to take down a 1 Gbps link), it hangs for some sloppy programming in the DOS detection system.

There is nothing to do against a DOS attack, just detect and log the attacker IP. But in the TP-Link's case, the router completely crashes when detect any DOS attempt and doing that he lends a hand to the attacker whose goal is precisely freeze the network...

Go ahead and test yourself!! Shoot a ridiculous 1 Mbps (One megabit) of "large" ping packets over a TL-ER6120 (or TL-ER5120 or TL-ER6020 or TL-R600VPN or ANY other "industrial" TP-Link crap) and watch your network (or the network of your friend, neighbor, company, etc..) drop like a shirt.

Hi all,

I have a TP-Link TL-ER5120 v1 running the latest firmware and i also confirm this problem.

I bought this router in Spain so i don't know if this only affects the European versions or only the v1 model.

I only noticed this problem after i bought a server and installed Windows Server 2012 on it and connected to my router. On the first month i think i had this problem 2 times and just now after reading this thread i realise that the problem is related with the router.

The 2 times it happen was very strange, because from my end i did not due anything strange and the internet access become slow very fast and then i login my router and CPU was 100%. I had to restart the router. After that all went back again normal.

So i think it might been some kind of package the server sent and the router understound that with some kind of ddos attack and just went crazy.

I don't know if anyone else can confirm this?

Also if there is here any employee of TP-Link, please give your feedback on this.

Thanks

US version is different that EU version. I use to have the ER5120 but swapped it out for ER6120 is what am been using without any issues but I've finally got around to upgrade the firmware and the one for the SG3216. Huge different in throughput speed. I had to change download and upload bandwidth setting to get where it should be.