What's new

TP-LINK TL-ER5120 Multiwan Router (350MB throughput for $250) - Anyone use this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rather than have you demonstrate the flaw, would you please PM me a description of the flaw. If it affects my set up then I would like to know. Also, I would think that if there is, indeed, a flaw then the more of us who bring it to the attention of TP-Link the better.

ok, PM sent.

What I've read still doesn't convince me. We need to go on about our things. I'll contact TP-LINK and see what they say about all of this. I'll let you know.

Just wanted to say thanks very for this very informative thread. I was lucky enough to run across it a few days ago while researching some router options for myself and my SMB clients.

I have always preferred the idea of using a more robust router with a quality WAP behind it rather than just the general wireless routers that are always available.

Up to this point I was researching hardware to build an Untangle box using it as a router but now I am rethinking that plus not all my clients will use Untangle

Just wanted to say thanks very for this very informative thread. I was lucky enough to run across it a few days ago while researching some router options for myself and my SMB clients.

I have always preferred the idea of using a more robust router with a quality WAP behind it rather than just the general wireless routers that are always available.

Up to this point I was researching hardware to build an Untangle box using it as a router but now I am rethinking that plus not all my clients will use Untangle

TL-ER6120
TL-ER5120

Both of them above have dropped in price. The ER6120 is good if you don't need 4x WAN ports and can get by with 2x or just 1x. Speed wise both are the same. ER6120 is newer it matches with their JetStream line of Managed Layer Switches which add a secondary level of firewall security.

There is SMB Enterprise WAP coming soon so you can can add as WiFi AP. Right now they don't have anything for SMB just SOHO right now and those are limited to number of WF clients

You can managed WAN and LAN ports changing their throughput speeds. Match the speed against your your download provided rated speed. JetStream does thes same offers more options.

Last edited:

These two routers do seem to offer SMB-level performance/feature-set for pretty close to consumer-level prices. I was concerned that the documentation would be unhelpful, but I found it straight-forward and easy to understand -- especially compared to the manual for my Netgear ProSafe switch.

I am just now playing around with port-mirroring (and network monitoring software) to take a closer look at what's going on in my network.

Good luck.

What I've read still doesn't convince me. We need to go on about our things. I'll contact TP-LINK and see what they say about all of this. I'll let you know.

I sent you all the details about the flaw, If you're not convinced yet, sorry, but there's nothing I can do about it. And this does not change the fact that the flaw exists...

PS.: You told me via PM that you will come into contact with the TP-Link... Well, I'll be waiting to see what they will answer to you.. Hope you get something... because I spent 2 months sending email to them and they did not respond and did not solve anything... but maybe you're lucky...

These two routers do seem to offer SMB-level performance/feature-set for pretty close to consumer-level prices. I was concerned that the documentation would be unhelpful, but I found it straight-forward and easy to understand -- especially compared to the manual for my Netgear ProSafe switch.

I am just now playing around with port-mirroring (and network monitoring software) to take a closer look at what's going on in my network.

Good luck.

I've been working with my ISP to fine tune my settings. 50m down is now coming in at 67m down and 8m up though my plan is 10m up. She was surprise I got that much down. I had to re-tune TL-ER6120 and Jetstream L2 Switch. Also the PC settings have to be changed a bit. To make the system work as Windows 8 new TCP settings under Windows 7U64. I was so going to try their 105m down which would have gave me 120m down. Price is still high they need to come down with that though.

Last edited:
I've been working with my ISP to fine tune my settings. 50m down is now coming in at 67m down and 8m up though my plan is 10m up. She was surprise I got that much down. I had to re-tune TL-ER6120 and Jetstream L2 Switch. Also the PC settings have to be changed a bit. To make the system work as Windows 8 new TCP settings under Windows 7U64. I was so going to try their 105m down which would have gave me 120m down. Price is still high they need to come down with that though.

How did you get the extra speed? I'd love to get 60+ mbps down out of my 50 down. Are you measuring the speed on the router or via a speed test website.

By the way, I've got my port mirroring up and running. I ended up doing the mirroring on my Netgear switch rather than the router because I was able to fine tune it better. I'm using Colasoft's Capsa program to monitor my network. That's an awesome program.

Last edited:
How did you get the extra speed? I'd love to get 60+ mbps down out of my 50 down. Are you measuring the speed on the router or via a speed test website.

By the way, I've got my port mirroring up and running. I ended up doing the mirroring on my Netgear switch rather than the router because I was able to fine tune it better. I'm using Colasoft's Capsa program to monitor my network. That's an awesome program.

Interesting I'll take a look at this Colasoft's Capsa you mention, thanks. To make sure you have the right network gear that's suppose to be loaded on your network use LANSPY sniffer (free). Works great. I use to use at on Corp Enterprise Domain. Well it came in handy for know who had what installed on their system and what OS was on there.

I use script I created to increase the speed.. I had info on SNB use this link below. But I've made some changes to boost the speed. Plus tweak the router to manage the speed. I'll teach if you want sounds like you want to know.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7535

Also did you change your Upstream and Downstream setting under the WAN port on your router? You should change those to reflex what your getting down and up from your ISP. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT settings. Since we can match the output of what your Modem is doing. Are you use a D3Modem? Is your Modem WAN port 1000m or 10/100m? See mine is set to 1000m and not Auto. Prior Modem/Voice was set to Auto where in the ER5120 and ER6120 the WAN port had to bet set to Auto. Let me know if you can change your WAN port settings.

I use two testing method. ISP has their own tester. I am using that to measure. There is no Boost in 50m down and 10m so the boost is coming from my end.

There is a free program called TCP Optimizer found on Speedguide.net I set the meter slider for your broadband connection speed to 100m and use optimal settings. Remember

100mbps = 60mbps
10mbps = 6mbps

If your not getting faster after I show you had time to call in the ISP team. Just take one bad cable in your connection to your modem either cable or dsl system to make it not function 100%.

May I know how the speed limiter and Qos perform ?

Is it as good as Draytek router ?

Try the TL-ER6120 Emulator for a spin
http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-ER6120(UN)/userRpm/Index.htm

Managed Switches Auto/10/100/1000m Adjustable
Ports can be adjusted
Jumbo Frames upto 9K
Flow Control Enabled or Disabled on all Ports
Upstream and Downstream can be adjusted
Ingress and Degress can be adjusted
Per Port can be adjusted to suit your means.

Very configuration-able Wired SMB Routers
Prices have dropped.. If you need Quad WAN then TL-ER5160 if you Dual WAN plus more of VPN Firewall Router then TL-ER6120. Since I had both I can comment that the TL-ER6120 is better than the TL-ER5160 but if you don't need all these Quad or Dual Wan you can disable those features as well as the VPN.

All metal construction
17.3" length
TL-ER6120 comes with grounding wire since the unit does have protection for spikes on it. Console Cable does comes with both models. Rack mounting hardware also with screws. Rubber feet if you need to add it your desk. CD with this and a manual.
Fan-less design.

Also all ports can be disabled

But that sessions is base per ports and that one has more. The ER5120 has 120,000

Sorry this is late and it sort of bumps a now inactive thread, but I'm surprised that all of these advanced/SOHO routers (and not just TP-Link) that offer QOS, multi-wan, etc continue not to include SNMP as a feature set.

This is especially true when they offer something resembling 802.1q.

Has any contact with the vendors indicated that it's something they may add in future firmware builds?

Sorry this is late and it sort of bumps a now inactive thread, but I'm surprised that all of these advanced/SOHO routers (and not just TP-Link) that offer QOS, multi-wan, etc continue not to include SNMP as a feature set.

This is especially true when they offer something resembling 802.1q.

Has any contact with the vendors indicated that it's something they may add in future firmware builds?

Definitively not. TP-Link restricts the SNMP Technology only for their swiths. If you really need of SNMP you should buy another Router, otherwise, you will be forced to buy a Swith from them only to have this function .....

Besides, TP-Link should be more busy correcting the security flaws of their routers than implementing new features.

Last edited: