What's new

TP-LINK TL-ER5120 Multiwan Router (350MB throughput for $250) - Anyone use this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don’t know why I only wrote that I block 1 million addresses on my ACLs. I have referenced 100 million before. I went to my router and counted IP address blocks and they are around 976 million addresses that I currently block with ACLs. The router still runs fast blocking 976 million IP addresses.

I don’t know why I only wrote that I block 1 million addresses on my ACLs. I have referenced 100 million before. I went to my router and counted IP address blocks and they are around 976 million addresses that I currently block with ACLs. The router still runs fast blocking 976 million IP addresses.

Good to know... Are you using the addresses found in HOST file called MVP and then adding too the router. So you can kill everything that naughty from invading your network systems.

No I just add addresses to my block pot when I find something I don’t like on my network or email. I read the headers of bad emails and block the source IP addresses. Most of the time I block the whole class of the address.

No I just add addresses to my block pot when I find something I don’t like on my network or email. I read the headers of bad emails and block the source IP addresses. Most of the time I block the whole class of the address.

You can do that with the ads and ads that are use on google android too so they never reach smartphones or android devices (mini pc, tablet, laptop, chrome OS etc.) Spyware Blaster (Freeware) does the same on PC for (IE, Chrome, FF) browsers. Gmail I just use macros to devert those type of mailings. Still everything helps though.

I do not have a problem with ADs as I run Untangle behind my router and it has a great blocking system.

I do not have a problem with ADs as I run Untangle behind my router and it has a great blocking system.

Oh like a smaller scaled down version of $10,000 box called Bluecoat Web Content Filtering. How much did this set you back for this Untangled box.
I don't have any ads now and on FB those side ads are gone also. I get full screens without ads on Windows 7. Android 2.3 to 4.x the same.

Untangle Lite is free for home use. I just run it on one of my old servers with a 35 watt xeon so it is a low power draw. Screen refresh rate is just as fast as not using Untangle. This is a great product. I have been using for about 3 years and I have never done maintaince on it. Untangle just updates the product behind the scenes.

Untangle Lite is free for home use. I just run it on one of my old servers with a 35 watt xeon so it is a low power draw. Screen refresh rate is just as fast as not using Untangle. This is a great product. I have been using for about 3 years and I have never done maintaince on it. Untangle just updates the product behind the scenes.

How does this run as app or full OS image? I am trying to keep my electric bill as low as I can! I live with Central AC/HEAT on 24/7 365 days. My bill is very low as all appliances have been replace since 2011 to 2012 including the network gear. So Green, Green, Green Saving Energy around here. LOL

Days of running huge system 24/7 365 days is history, except for 2x networked laptops running 24/7 acting as HDTV DVR is another story, but at lease those are set to idle when not in use.

Untangle runs as an appliance. When you install, it wipes everything out on the hard drive. A few people have it running as a virtual but the Linux flavor is not supported by Microsoft yet, maybe with the next HyperV. If Microsoft starts supporting it in HyperV then I will start running virtual machines again.

He's back again trying to make us think there is something wrong with the ER6120 router. Frankly nothing wrong with it. Security is tight beyond what most would need it for. Still have security on all LAN devices just can't depend on one device to manage security. Router does what it suppose too do.

There is no tissues contacting TP-LINK all the emails are right there. But I talk to their lead Engineer so they welcome comments and feedback. They now know about this site from me.

Anyway, if you don't like the router go buy something else, just doesn't make much sense to say something is wrong with it. First you came out and said you couldn't tell use what was wrong with it? Like it was a top secret information in 2012.

Now 2013 here come out to tell us why..

Router running perfect more than I had hope.. Latest firmware, I am still on the last one I've installed. My network up 24/7 non-stop if there is power failure the ER6120 will not shutdown with the battery backup I have here.

lol ... You are wrong if you are thinking that I am the "phowarth"... I do not know this guy, but apparently he has more sense than you.

Anyway, if a security flaw is not a significant problem to you, then maybe the problem is with YOU... But go ahead! Use your beloved TL-ER6120, which can compromise your entire network by a failure that can be used by any 10 year old kid with some computer knowledge.

BTW: Very valid judgment coming directly from an TP-Link employee...

Last edited:
I don’t know what to believe. I have run all Steve Gibson’s tests and have not found anything. Have you tested the latest firmware release? Please post a picture of your router. I think I may believe you more by posting a picture. I have also sent a PM a couple of weeks ago to you without an answer. When this stated problem happens do you see anything in the log? The logs seem very good.
Let’s solve this issue. You are too elusive with your statements.

I’m sorry BuilderDev but I do not believe you since it has been 5 hours with no response. You only have 8 posts total all complaining about this router. It seems your only concern with routers is to make sure people think this one is bad and buy another, buy planting doubt in everybody’s mind.

I have heard from you once in a PM about a month ago where you were complaining about DDOS attacks but would not converse any further. Well all routers are subject to DDOS attacks because they happen outside of your network and are totally out of your control. Only the ISPs can help with those kinds of attacks. Hopefully in the future ISPs will see this as their job and will build in measures to help contain these kinds of problems.

Last edited:
Don't get caught up with guys that pretends who they are really. This guy is starting to cause trouble.

First off online forums you don't put down or other members that's a no, no in forum. Someone who's does that just can't trust what they say here.

As we already seen guys like this come here and knock a very good wired router. I've tested this since buying last year not security holes. I go beyond what most go online. I've online since 1989 back when it was just BB then online services like Prodigy and AOL.

Internet testing and then 1995 on the WWW. So don't come here and tells here a story and can't back it up.

TP-LINK wired router is working so well. Security tight and better than tight!

I don’t know what to believe. I have run all Steve Gibson’s tests and have not found anything. Have you tested the latest firmware release? Please post a picture of your router. I think I may believe you more by posting a picture. I have also sent a PM a couple of weeks ago to you without an answer. When this stated problem happens do you see anything in the log? The logs seem very good.
Let’s solve this issue. You are too elusive with your statements.

I’m sorry BuilderDev but I do not believe you since it has been 5 hours with no response. You only have 8 posts total all complaining about this router. It seems your only concern with routers is to make sure people think this one is bad and buy another, buy planting doubt in everybody’s mind.

I have heard from you once in a PM about a month ago where you were complaining about DDOS attacks but would not converse any further. Well all routers are subject to DDOS attacks because they happen outside of your network and are totally out of your control. Only the ISPs can help with those kinds of attacks. Hopefully in the future ISPs will see this as their job and will build in measures to help contain these kinds of problems.

How is it?? So if I take a few hours to answer your replies, I'm automatically discredited? Hey, do you have a job??! Well, I have and unlike some people (tipstir) my job does not give me time to get 24/7 in a forum to making propaganda for my company.

One of several security problems in this router is that it crashes when it detects what he considers to be an attempt of DOS / DDOS attack. Example.: If I send 1 Mbps ("attacker" side) to 1 Gbps link (TP-Link side) the TL-6120 hangs... And it crashes not because of the attack itself (as 1 Mbps is not able to take down a 1 Gbps link), it hangs for some sloppy programming in the DOS detection system.

There is nothing to do against a DOS attack, just detect and log the attacker IP. But in the TP-Link's case, the router completely crashes when detect any DOS attempt and doing that he lends a hand to the attacker whose goal is precisely freeze the network...

Go ahead and test yourself!! Shoot a ridiculous 1 Mbps (One megabit) of "large" ping packets over a TL-ER6120 (or TL-ER5120 or TL-ER6020 or TL-R600VPN or ANY other "industrial" TP-Link crap) and watch your network (or the network of your friend, neighbor, company, etc..) drop like a shirt.

BTW: I already had posted a picture of my router (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=46670&postcount=38) but I think that the link no longer works, and I will not go down in the basement, take out the 6120 of the box (where it never should have left) just to take another picture to you...

Last edited:
Don't get caught up with guys that pretends who they are really. This guy is starting to cause trouble.

First off online forums you don't put down or other members that's a no, no in forum. Someone who's does that just can't trust what they say here.

As we already seen guys like this come here and knock a very good wired router. I've tested this since buying last year not security holes. I go beyond what most go online. I've online since 1989 back when it was just BB then online services like Prodigy and AOL.

Internet testing and then 1995 on the WWW. So don't come here and tells here a story and can't back it up.

TP-LINK wired router is working so well. Security tight and better than tight!

Remember what you told me (by PM) when I provided all the details of the problem??

Here's a refresher:
...Well I going to shoot them a reply and see what they come up with. Takes them 2 to 3 days to answer. I use to have one of their Engineers answer me the same time I had sent it out....

So tell me, the "engineers" do not responded your contact? Or they did not have the competence to solve this yet?

Thank you for bringing this problem to light. Now is the time for testing and getting TP-Link involved. I will be switching out my router to test it. Being retired I no longer can test from work so I will need to bring it into my LAN to test.
Hopefully we can confirm the latest release still has this issue.

Thank you for bringing this problem to light. Now is the time for testing and getting TP-Link involved. I will be switching out my router to test it. Being retired I no longer can test from work so I will need to bring it into my LAN to test.
Hopefully we can confirm the latest release still has this issue.

See this guy is coming clean now so both are the same person. Security issue was sent to TP-LINK Engineer in TW, but for me testing couldn't get the same results.

Unless their router overseas is different that what is sold in the USA.

I am going to try and test in the next few days and see if mine will fail. Maybe we can put this to rest once and for all.

I am going to try and test in the next few days and see if mine will fail. Maybe we can put this to rest once and for all.

Good luck with doing..

See this guy is coming clean now so both are the same person. Security issue was sent to TP-LINK Engineer in TW, but for me testing couldn't get the same results.

Unless their router overseas is different that what is sold in the USA.

Man, I had been very clear to you and to everyone else who asked me...

The problem is that when we talked through PM, seemed to me that you did not know anything about DOS. In fact, you did made ​​confusion until even with the units Mbps (Megabit/s) and MBps (Megabyte/s)....

So, the question is: How did you make a DOS test if you do not know what's is a DOS or what's de difference between MBps and Mbps?...