What's new

TP-LINK TL-ER5120 Multiwan Router (350MB throughput for $250) - Anyone use this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you have any new updates regarding the security issue(s) with the TL-ER6120 ?

Which other similar routers would you guys recommend? I just need something without any known security issues (or at least all issues fixed) and a good/decent firewall.

Have a great day!

Nothing wrong with the Router working 100% for me security is tight on it. Unless your doing something you shouldn't be doing then.

There is a discovered back door into some TP-Link routers from inside the network and not the WAN side. TP-Link is releasing new code to plug the holes for the effective routers. I have not seen a list of affected routers.

I found a little more about the back door into TP-Link routers. The specific routers affected are TL-WDR4300 and TL-WR743ND (v1.2,v2.0). The WAN interface is exploitable if http admin is available from WAN side.

Good you told them, still this is good wired router..

My ER-6120 is working fine. It just keeps running, never a reboot. It does everything I need of my router. Even though it is a VPN router, I don’t use VPN. I just really like rack mount units to fit in my rack and real power plugs no wall wart power modules.

My ER-6120 is working fine. It just keeps running, never a reboot. It does everything I need of my router. Even though it is a VPN router, I don’t use VPN. I just really like rack mount units to fit in my rack and real power plugs no wall wart power modules.

Just disable the VPN, that's what I do. Rack mounted (metal case) speedy and also. Others need to understand stop wasting money on cheaper units and buy something for business but use it as your main router.

Mine is in a mini-rack mount unit along with their Jetstream Layer 2 16-port gig switch that too runs like dream.
Now to find a good WiFi AP from them and I'll be done. They're suppose to come out with SMB one since current line-up is SOHO model.

Best Buy of 2012 and Best Buy for 2013 ER6120. :)

There is a new firmware update for TP-Link ER6120 router. I will try to install it tonight.

Last edited:
There is a new firmware update for TP-Link ER6120 router. I will try to install it tonight.

Let me know how you make out with it.. The last upgrade I did was in 2012. Mine is stable.

3/14/2013

TL-ER6120_V1_130314
Published Date 3/14/2013
Language English
File Size 4.44 MB
Operating System Win2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/Mac/Linux
Modifications and Bug Fixes
Optimized the connection of lane access;
Optimized the processing of the offer packages from the LAN network;
Optimized the connection of L2TP over IPsec server;
Notes For TL-ER6120 V1.0

ER-6120 is ok for $ , but has issues

I have been running an ER6120 for two weeks and will likely have to send it back.

Here is my 2 cents

Setup
- running latest firmware
- dual ISPs PPPOE and Cable
- 20 devices on the network
- Heavy media streaming (iTunes, netflix etc)
-

Pros

1. it is a fast router for a home environment and handles basic load balancing well.
2. seems to be well built
3. fast admin GUI
4. fairly well featured, but lacking some.
5. stable, I have had no reason to reboot it. running 14 days straight so far.
6. low cost.

Cons

1. The GUI is usuable , but TPLink should really spend a few more bucks and get a better translator, because some's menus aren't very clear.
2. Load balancing works but needs refinement. For example you can't route by URL only ip addy. There are no options to force a persistent connection to one ISP for applications that need it. (VPNs for example)
3. The built in pptp client VPN functionality needs more options, but it is a moot point because once u get the tunnel up it is not possible to route any traffic down it. (tplink have verified this)
4. pptp server works, but the setup menus are unclear and really need a clean up. For example u set up a new server for each client.
5. tech support is slow to respond and the one emailing me clearly has no understanding of the product.
6. The static routes menu is basically useless. You can't set up routes for vlans, Vpn interfaces, only wan1/2 or LAN. For example if you set up port 5 as a separate vlan you can route it anywhere ... again according to tech support.

Bottom line... if u need basic dual wan with home router features it is capable, but don't expect to be able to use all the advertised smb features.

one other note.. not sure why no one has mentioned that the security flaw is in the upnp implementation. it is a Broadcom SDK issue and effects 75% of soho routers out there including tplink. Check out this for details.

http://www.defensecode.com/public/DefenseCode_Broadcom_Security_Advisory.pdf

Hello phowarth,
I am sorry you don’t like the ER-6120 router. Why did you buy this router? I am very interested in what you think a good router is for home for $200.00. I have run several and none of them compare to this router for home. If you can point toward a better router I will buy it. I think if you look around you are not going to find a better router unless you look at real Cisco gear which is much more expensive.
I know it does not support vlan tags and there may be a problem with VPNs. I use mine at home without VPNs and vlans . I also run an Untangle UTM device behind the router which also does not support vlan tags either. So a router with vlans would not work any way with my current network. I can run all the vlans I want behind the Untangle machine but not through the Untangle machine. This router has an excellent DHCP system and good ACL support which I am finding lacking in lots of new routers. I block over a million addresses actively on my router at any one time. It is also a very fast router using ACLs. The router is very stable like the old Cisco RV082 routers were. As far UPnP goes I do not use it as it has been a problem for years on and off.

Hello phowarth,
I am sorry you don’t like the ER-6120 router. Why did you buy this router? I am very interested in what you think a good router is for home for $200.00. I have run several and none of them compare to this router for home. If you can point toward a better router I will buy it.

Hi Cox,

I bought the router to use the advertised built in VPN PPTP Client to connect with a US VPN provider. The client connects as advertised, however there is no way to route traffic over it which makes the functionality useless.

As far as my opinion on the best home router as I stated in my post the er6120 is a fine router for basic dual wan home setup and there arent many options out there. It sounds like you are happy paying for features that don't work because you don't need them today. Unfortunately I need the VPN client functionality to work and I use upnp to xbox live etc. (and before some says port forward I can't as I have a couple of xbox's and upnp is the only way)

Cheers

phowarth
Sounds like you need 2 routers, one for business and a home router. It is hard to find upnp in a real business router. Real Cisco routers have the best VPN that I have run. What router do you run now?

Last edited:
phowarth
Sounds like you need 2 routers, one for business and a home router. It is hard to find upnp in a real business router. Real Cisco routers have the best VPN that I have run. What router do you run now?

Hi Cox,

I have no problem working around the issues. I just wanted to let folks know of the issues in a fair and open way before they use this thread to purchase the ER6120 as I did.

Well people should know VPN and pptp does not seem to work. I assumed you tested with the latest firmware released a couple of weeks ago. As far as the static routing, it does work fine. I am using it. TP-Link did not advertise supported vlan tags so you would not expect the router to route them. I think I have figured out a way to actually route the traffic from vlans. It is theory only now. My idea is if you can force the vlan device to use the default gateway then the tags would be stripped so the router or any router for that matter could route the traffic. Create a bunch of class C networks on your vlans. Create a route statement back from the router using a class B network definition from the router. This would effectively route your vlan traffic.

Well people should know VPN and pptp does not seem to work. I assumed you tested with the latest firmware released a couple of weeks ago. As far as the static routing, it does work fine. I am using it. TP-Link did not advertise supported vlan tags so you would not expect the router to route them. I think I have figured out a way to actually route the traffic from vlans. It is theory only now. My idea is if you can force the vlan device to use the default gateway then the tags would be stripped so the router or any router for that matter could route the traffic. Create a bunch of class C networks on your vlans. Create a route statement back from the router using a class B network definition from the router. This would effectively route your vlan traffic.

I knew vlan tags were not supported and I never mentioned them in my post. However port based vlans are supported, however you can not assign them to a static route as the firmware only identifies 3 interfaces, WAN 1, WAN 2 and LAN.

I just went into the router and found this on vlans:

Port VLAN can only be created among the LAN ports.
Only the ports in the same VLAN can communicate with each other. The ports in different VLANs cannot communicate directly.
The change of DMZ status will affect the configurations of Port VLAN. You're recommended to check or reconfigure the Port VLAN if the status of DMZ is changed.

So I think routing works fine, vlans are limited.

Last edited:
He's back again trying to make us think there is something wrong with the ER6120 router. Frankly nothing wrong with it. Security is tight beyond what most would need it for. Still have security on all LAN devices just can't depend on one device to manage security. Router does what it suppose too do.

There is no tissues contacting TP-LINK all the emails are right there. But I talk to their lead Engineer so they welcome comments and feedback. They now know about this site from me.

If you don't like the router go buy something else, just doesn't make much sense to say something is wrong with it. First you came out and said you couldn't tell use what was wrong with it? Like it was a top secret information in 2012.

Now 2013 here come out to tell us why..

Router running perfect more than I had hope.. Latest firmware, I am still on the last one I've installed. My network up 24/7 non-stop if there is power failure the ER6120 will not shutdown with the battery backup I have here.