What's new

USB Ports on an ASUS RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
The RT-AX86U Pro has one USB 2 port and one USB 3 port. Is it still the case that the USB 3 port should be avoided if one is using any devices that rely on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band due to likely interference?

Cannot really definitively answer the question but on the Merlin firmware on a RT-AX86U Pro there is the following tooltip for USB Mode:
USBMode.jpg

Personal observation. The few times I've used a USB SSD drive enclosure (USB 3 cable to drive enclosure is over a 1 foot long) on the router's USB 3.0 port I haven't noticed any obvious or glaring 2.4Ghz WiFi issues.

Last edited:
Cannot really definitively answer the question but on the Merlin firmware on a RT-AX86U Pro there is the following tooltip for USB Mode:
Notice how that tooltip makes no sense for the "USB Mode" option. It only makes sense when that option was previously called "Reduce USB interference".

It makes sense still. If you use USB 3.0, there could be interference, depending on the USB device used.

Notice how that tooltip makes no sense for the "USB Mode" option. It only makes sense when that option was previously called "Reduce USB interference".
Yeah its bad and will confuse people. Par for the course though. 😆 Could stand a rewrite to have it make a bit more sense.

It makes sense still. If you use USB 3.0, there could be interference, depending on the USB device used.
I didn't have any interferences with USB3 enabled since AC68, AX88u through GT-AX6000 but I use a 1 foot dongle connection away from the router, it also avoids to heat up.

Last edited:
Yes, (I should have written 'depending on the USB device and cable used'). :)

The RT-AX86U Pro has one USB 2 port and one USB 3 port. Is it still the case that the USB 3 port should be avoided if one is using any devices that rely on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band due to likely interference?

I've always wondered why the SoC vendors even offer this option of using USB3 on their WiFi chipsets, as the interference issues are well known for 2.4...

Note that WiFi isn't the only protocol affected by the USB3 issue, Bluetooth is also impacted...

Some (properly made/isolated) USB 3.0 devices aren't a problem. Cheap ones (and some expensive ones) can be though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!