What's new

Uverse 2wire gateway and asus rt-ac66u configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, I am just going to talk differences, so they could all be red herrings

Why is your ASUS DNS not set to the 192.168.1.254? Or is that what you are trying to do?

I would also try disabling any PPPoE logon on the 2wire (if you are using PPPoE) and entering the PPPoE login info on the Asus. That way the router will be the one getting the WAN IP (assuming the 2wire can transparently forward PPPoE requests when in DMZ+ mode).

Won't work. AT&T U-Verse is either VDSL2 based or IPDSLAM(ADSL2+) based. They got rid of their ATM equipment and now send an IP address to the router through DHCP. They also use 802.1x authentication to limit the amount of 3rd party equipment.

That being said, it is possible to bridge the ADSL2+ variant(via a PPP bridge) but not the VDSL2 variant as AT&T does not sell equipment that bridges the connection(ADSL2+ bridged only works on a rooted motorola modem).

The only hope the OP has for bridging the connection is to buy/obtain a Motorola 2310. Good luck.

It works for a while and then goes offline. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Have you tried from a fresh reset on the 2wire and Asus?
Does your ASUS router work properly otherwise? Maybe a bug in the firmware? Reinstall the firmware and not restoring from a saved profile.
In the system log on the ASUS, does it have information on the disconnect?

Does your router stop working after 10 minutes? Does it reconnect or stay offline? The router could be blocking the DHCP renewal Packets. As you can see on my router, it renews every 10 minutes. I had this issue on my old router using DD-wrt and another gateway. Currently I use the 3801hgv. Just an assumption though.

Last edited:
Won't work. AT&T U-Verse is either VDSL2 based or IPDSLAM(ADSL2+) based. They got rid of their ATM equipment and now send an IP address to the router through DHCP. They also use 802.1x authentication to limit the amount of 3rd party equipment.
AT&T. Just Say No.

Have you tried from a fresh reset on the 2wire and Asus?
Does your ASUS router work properly otherwise? Maybe a bug in the firmware? Reinstall the firmware and not restoring from a saved profile.
In the system log on the ASUS, does it have information on the disconnect?

Does your router stop working after 10 minutes? Does it reconnect or stay offline? The router could be blocking the DHCP renewal Packets. As you can see on my router, it renews every 10 minutes. I had this issue on my old router using DD-wrt and another gateway. Currently I use the 3801hgv. Just an assumption though.

Chris, thanks a lot for the step-by-step instructions. I have the same exact setup (same router model and same 2Wire gateway) and followed the instructions to the letter. However, I'm experiencing random periods of abnormally slow internet connection.
I had found on a different forum some additional instructions on how to setup a router behind the 2wire gateway after putting the router in DMZplus. Those instructions are:
9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration
10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

Are those steps necessary in your opinion and could they correct my slow connection issue?

Thanks a lot!

You can use that setup, try it out and revert back if needed. If you put your router in the DMZ and its getting the WAN ip address, it should be bypassing your U-verse firewall (unless i am mistaken).
If you have other devices directly connected to your u-verse gateway, I wouldn't suggest turning off those services.

It could also be an issue with your connection to the u-verse service.
If you go to settings>broadband>status
make sure you are not getting many errors under DSL link errors. I have had issue before with my U-verse and had the tech come out numerous times before they fixed it.

Here is a screenshot of what mine says.
RDoDp

A better way to check your connection is with this program,
http://www.uvrealtime.com/

Here is the screenshot from U-verse realtime
tX45N

My connection is not optimal either, but at least I don't get many errors like i did before. Hope this helps.
Do you only get a slow connection with the ASUS router connected and not connected directly to the U-verse Gateway?

Last edited:
Chris, thanks for the advice and the link to UV real time. I went ahead and removed any remnant firewall setting and I have had zero issue with speed in the past 24 hours. Not sure what to do with it, but here is a screenshot of the UV real time statistics:

Thanks, worked for my RT-AC66U

Guys, thanks a lot for the how-to and screenshots in this thread. VERY helpful in hooking up my ASUS RT-AC66U router to my existing ATT&T Uverse router/RG.

Our home network uses exclusively the ASUS (192.168.13.*) which is hooked up to the RG (192.168.1.* + some Uverse WAN IP), as explained in this thread. I use a mix of GigE wired and n/ac wireless.

I'm very happy with the internal network performance now--streaming, file xfer, and GF-X--while the internet performance is of course relatively unchanged. Wireless signal in my house is much better as well; stronger for farther, and faster to connect. Also we're having fewer DHCP IP assignment issues (Uverse RG would refuse to assign IPs to some devices after a period of ~3 weeks to 3 months, solvable via RG reboot, bah).

I did have to perform an extra step at the end to get it to work, although it may be due to how I configured the ASUS:

• Connect ASUS to PC via ethernet
  • Configure ASUS w/o WAN connection available (i.e. WAN wizard fails to detect internet which is fine; config LAN mostly)
  • Connect ASUS WAN port to Uverse RG via ethernet
  • Tell RG to put ASUS into the DMZPlus
  • NEW: Had to tell ASUS to configure WAN now by clicking the "Disconnected" link next to WAN icon...go through WAN setup wizard

It didn't work until I went through that last step. It makes sense, based on explanations in the ASUS manual. As soon as it did its internet auto-detection in the wizard, my devices were able to reach the internet.

Android tablet was nice: connection icon went from gray (intranet only) to blue (internet found) right in the middle of the ASUS WAN wizard. Nice visual feedback.

Anyway, I just registered to say thanks :)

Does disabling the wifi on the gateway make a difference I am having all sorts of trouble setting up my ac68r router.
I've tried a lot of these things and everything was working good except I couldn't setup my DDNS through asus something about a private address is being used and DDNS won't work in this environment.
But I could use the router and connect to the internet and I could connect via a vpn to the asus while I was on the 2wire wifi so things are getting through.

Also do I want the MAC address of my gateway on my asus and when I get the screen for DNS servers asus won't let me click and type in the DNS from the gateway

I had at one point been able to run my Asus router behind my 2Wire gateway using the above configuration, but now I can only get the two to play along nicely when they have different subnets. This also means that the devices on my Asus router are invisible to the devices connected to the gateway and vice versa. So for now, I'm running all my devices through the wan port of the Asus router is connected to a LAN on the gateway. I was wondering how I can setup the router and gateway so that I can use the three empty LAN ports on the gateway and have the devices on the gateway and router see each other. Any help would be much appreciated!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!