What's new

VLAN based on MAC-addresses instead of router ports...?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martin - SNBuser

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I think some/many of you know this thread: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fo...guest-network-for-asus-merlin-rt-ac68u.18969/ which is an EXCELLENT thread for vlan-noobs like me. I have an RT-AC87U and this code should work:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# force LAN port 3 to use the Guest Network for RT-AC87U
robocfg vlan 1 ports "2 5 7t"
robocfg vlan 10 ports "3 7t"
vconfig add eth0 10
ifconfig vlan10 up
brctl addif br0 vlan10
ebtables -t broute -I BROUTING -p IPv4 -i vlan10 --ip-dst 192.168.1.0/24 --ip-proto tcp -j DROP
ebtables -t filter -I FORWARD -i vlan10 -o ! eth0 -j DROP
ebtables -t filter -I FORWARD -i ! eth0 -o vlan10 -j DROP
But this creates VLANs based on the input port of the router... Instead, I wish to create:
  • A trusted "administration VLAN" based on MAC-addresses (because I want to make a trusted VLAN with access to the router administration and I already know those MAC-addresses)...
  • One/more restricted VLANs for guests and devices like TVs or other things that would like internet access but which I consider "unsecure" (this should be default for devices with unknown MAC-addresses)...

I consider it to be much more safe to make the adminitration VLAN based on MAC-addresses than on input ports, as everyone can connect their devices to my router ports... How should the script be changed?

If the ASUS-merlin-firmware do not allow VLANs to be created based on MAC-addresses, I think I have a managed switch that can make VLANs based on MAC-addresses, does that sound reasonable? I hope a few words can guide me in the right direction... Thanks.