What's new

VLANs and ASUS RT-AC66U or other routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Widmark

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-AC66U which works great for me with stock f/w (really like that Asus is still supporting it as opposed to my experience with Linksys which I will never buy again), but I want to segment my network so that a hack of an iOT device provides limited access to my larger network. I want to do this with VLANs (or possibly subnets).

I have read the IPTV area of the stock ASUS 66U f/w is effectively VLAN in disguise, and also Merlin's f/w has VLAN capability. If the former is true, does anybody have info or link on how to set up VLANs through IPTV tab? If latter is true, is the capability through the GUI or only SSH? I am looking for a GUI solution... I don't want to learn SSH.

And if none of the above is true, can anyone recommend an relatively inexpensive router with VLAN capability built in... knowing I lean toward Asus generally? I just bought TP Link TL-SG108E to help with the VLAN switching... although I am used to only having dumb blue netgear switches. Wondering if I need to change out all switches on the network to VLAN capable... was hoping I could keep using dumb/non VLAN switches as long as all devices on said dumb switch are on the same VLAN.

thx

Hello Widmark,

I have a working setup with Netgear switches a GS108T and two GS105Ev2. These switches are VLAN capable. I wanted the IPTV-traffic to run over the same cable (trunk) as normal IP-traffic. The cable goes under the floor (limited space) from the front of the house to the back of the house. I ended up with an extra VLAN4. This works fine now. In my opinion the point of VLANs is to mix traffic from different IP-domains over the same networkcables. Only on the start/endpoint the traffic from VLAN4 is separated form the normal IP-traffic. In my case my local IP-LAN is on 192.168.1.n and the IPTV from my provider is on IP-domain 10.x.y.z. From the glasfibermodem the IP-traffic is going to the router (Apple Time Capsule and then to the GS108T and the IPTV-trafic is going directly to the GS108T. I have a TV setup with Amino settopboxes in the living room and in the gardenroom. So effectively there are now 2 trunkcables that carry the combined IP-LAN + IPTV traffic.

Last edited: