What's new

VPN connects but can't map network drive / view files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anlaoch

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I'm new to vpn's and need some help getting mine to work. I'll try to set out the relevant information as best I can, but will add to as requested.

Server: XP Pro behind Creative Netblaster router.
Client: Vista Business connected via hotspots.
Server IP Address fixed and forwarded from router.
Port 1723 opened in xp firewall.

Incoming connections: Networking tab - all four boxes ticked.
Incoming TCP/IP connections: Network access ticked, TCP/IP automatically assigned, Allow calling computer to specify its own IP address ticked.

Client: IPv4 & IPv6 - all settings set to defaults.

Problem: VPN connects but I can't see the server when trying to map a network drive. I have 1 folder which is sync'd and this syncs automatically, but I can't add any further folders / drives.

Is this problem client or server side? Any suggestions what I should check?

Thanks in advance.

You may need to connect to your server by using its IP address. Sometimes VPN's block NetBIOS traffic because it tends to be a "chatty" protocol.

Thanks. I'm a bit lost. At the moment, I'm using dyndns updater to keep the ip address up to date. However, I've tried testing the connection using the ip address provided at a given time by whatismyip.com and again although I can make the connection, I can't see the computer or folders when attempting to map a network drive.

Thanks.

When mapping by IP address, that means the "internal" IP address...the IP of your VPN host. Example...192.168.1.100.

Sometimes the old poor mans WINS trick of adding to the lmhost file can be another method.

Thanks for the pointers, but I'm lost now. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I'm not getting anywhere no matter what I change. Where would you start if you were able to connect, but couldn't view computers / files over the vpn.

Thanks.

1) Get the IP address of the computer on the Remote end of the VPN tunnel that you want to connect to by going to its Local Area Connection Status and viewing the Support tab.

2) On one of the computers on the Local end of the VPN connection, click the Start button, select Run and enter \\ipaddressofremotecomputer, example \\192.168.0.22.

3) You should then get a window with the server's shares. You can then right click and Map any share to a drive.

Thanks a million. That worked a treat. :)

Why MS can't make this advice more readily available is beyond me.

Thanks again!

Hi Tim

Does this method work if you are using Hamachi? I have a NAS that I want to connect to through Hamachi - like 'anlaoch' I can connect to the client computer but I can't connect to the NAS??

Many thanks
Iain

I use Hamachi so I can answer this one. Since Hamachi connects peers and not networks, the NAS needs to be running Hamachi, or have a client on the NAS's network set up Hamachi as a bridge.

Hello,

I am currently experiencing the same problem:
1. I Can connect to the VPN (WS2008) IP on our office LAN=192.168.2.74
2. When I connect, I click on Start, Run and type in "192.168.2.74"
I only see Shared Folders (ithink) and nothing else.

I can not map any drive, or rather, I can not see the other computers on the workgroup.

Please HELP... I am a newbie on this VPN thing...

Thanks

I also got problems implementing my VPN. I can connect fine, I shared the folder I want to use but I can't map a drive using \\internalIpofHostmachine\sharedfolder

It says it cannot find the path. If I try going in Run and typing \\internalIpAddress

it tells me that it is not accessible, that I may not have the rights...

I'm on a workgroup and I tried mapping and using "connect using a different name" and putting my host's admin user and it's password but it doesn't work...

I set up a VPN on a windows XP at home and set up Server 2003 to except VPN. At home I can log on to server, but I can't map drives, read data, etc.

Hey rdal

This is because when you type in the ip address of the computer you are trying to access it will only show you the shared folders that are available on the computer. To map a network drive, all you should have to do is click on the folder, and then if you right click, you should be able to send a shortcut to your desktop.. This is as good as mapping the drive.

If you want to map it to 'My Computer' you can go there, and click map network drive up the top and then type in the ip address of that computer and the folder you want to map i.e. \\192.168.1.100\share and this will map the drive for you.

Good luck

VPN setup problems

I am also very new with setting up a vpn. I work from my home and my boss wants me to do work where I have to use information on his computer so we have attempted to set up a vpn using the windows setup (both of us have Windows 7). I am the client and am able to connect to the server and am able to access the license dongle on his computer so I can launch the program I am using, but like everyone else here I cannot see any of his files/folders.
I run \\his.ip.address and it fails with a Windows cannot access error. When I diagnose the problem, Windows Network Diagnostics finds the problem "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (###.###.#.#) is not responding." The server was setup using the procedures given by Microsoft.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP