What's new

Web History

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tanner Harman

Occasional Visitor
I'm wondering with some tweaking if there is a way to be able to track the URLS similar to the browsing history from a browser inside the router. The Web history as it currently stands track each domain accessed and works on a per client level.

I'm hoping it's possible to have it more like a chrome browsing history where it keeps track of the URL string like

Example.com
And
example.com/blog

I'm hoping to program the router to track certain things based on a url tag. I've tried to search the forums but wasn't able to find anything so if there is a topic please redirect me.

As the world moves to SSL, this is gradually becoming impossible to do, as the URL is then encrypted.

Thank you for your reply. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. How does a browser setup differ from being able to grab it inside the router?

Edit

What I'm trying to accomplish is being able to identify a blocked page from a dns filter. We are hoping to get it to where we can tell which devices were the ones who tried to access it. If we could get the dns provider to forward a block to our own website that we have an ssl certificate for could we then get the URL tag info?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. How does a browser setup differ from being able to grab it inside the router?

Edit

What I'm trying to accomplish is being able to identify a blocked page from a dns filter. We are hoping to get it to where we can tell which devices were the ones who tried to access it. If we could get the dns provider to forward a block to our own website that we have an ssl certificate for could we then get the URL tag info?

The browser knows the URL, since it's the one that does the job of encrypting it, before sending it to the server. So only the browser and the web server know the exact URL - none of the routers (be it yours or your ISP's) know what's the URL.

A DNS filter only works with a hostname, it doesn't deal with the URL itself. The only one that sees the URL is the web server at the other end.

Could the router theoretically be programmed to read the URL of a website we built and gave the router that particular ssl certificate?

Could the router theoretically be programmed to read the URL of a website we built and gave the router that particular ssl certificate?

I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem possible given the above posts.

Unless you could install a browser and use it directly on the router. But that makes no sense for a multi user setup at all.

Yah, this is the conclusion I'm coming too as well. Would anyone here know of a different possible solution for a dns filter to be able to differentiate devices behind the public ip.

Would anyone here know of a different possible solution for a dns filter to be able to differentiate devices behind the public ip.
Could you rephrase that as it doesn't seem related to your original question?

(Do you mean URL Filter, not DNS Filter?)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!