What's new

Whats are Pro and Cons connecting a external hardisk to wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I say just use FreeNAS or NAS4Free and re-purpose a desktop or laptop computer.

U can get a dual core core2duo off lease office pc(like a dell 755 sff or HP DC5800) for $50 or so. Or a cheap AMD based system for cheaper.

Better specs and much cheaper then those 450USD QNAP or Synology enclosures that have way more limitations.

They might be able to do a lot, however cost wise the DIY route is more bang for you buck.

Also the off the shelf NAS units have a problem. You must buy compatible drives or they might not work properly.

Irrelevant if you wind up DIY and crude software. This is a you don't know what you don't know situation.

FreeNAS...or NAS4FREE..is not crude at all. So many features, and so powerful and fast. And free.

I'm no expert, but after doing some research I'm going for a Synology DS213J with some WD Reds, all for under $400. Should get 100MB/s read and 70MB/s write.

I think those speeds are great, the price is good and you get the feature set of Synology's applications and reliability. Just my. 02$

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Irrelevant if you wind up DIY and crude software. This is a you don't know what you don't know situation.

Incorrect.

Yes and no. I don't disagree if you are going in to it blind or with little idea, its a bad idea. I am running Win8 (spare license, so effectively free) on my server. DIY build. Excluding disks ~$250. Including used 60GB SSD for boot drive and pair of 2TB HDDs in RAID0 it was around $400 (back when drives were cheap, sigh).

My performance is ~235MB/sec read and writes for SMB/CIFS performance to my other Win8/8.1 boxes and 2xGbE to non-Win8/8.1 machines. Significantly better small file performance, etc, etc, etc than probably anything short of a >>>$800 NAS, plus it can run some things that the NAS's can't (IE things like Calbre server to host my book library) and also automate some processes with backups and stuff in a way that Synology and Qnap NASs can't.

That doesn't mean those NASs are crap, but it is at least an example where, knowing my stuff, I was able to build a significantly more robust and capable file server for the same price or less than a lower end 2 disk NAS, or even a rather high end 4 disk NAS can manage (and much cheaper in that case).

You have to know your stuff though. You don't just stumble in to being able to do what QNap and Synology do. Any of my friend's/family asked me to build them a file server I'd tell them no, get a NAS. I don't/won't do the tech support for them.

Yes and no. I don't disagree if you are going in to it blind or with little idea, its a bad idea. I am running Win8 (spare license, so effectively free) on my server. DIY build. Excluding disks ~$250. Including used 60GB SSD for boot drive and pair of 2TB HDDs in RAID0 it was around $400 (back when drives were cheap, sigh).

My performance is ~235MB/sec read and writes for SMB/CIFS performance to my other Win8/8.1 boxes and 2xGbE to non-Win8/8.1 machines. Significantly better small file performance, etc, etc, etc than probably anything short of a >>>$800 NAS, plus it can run some things that the NAS's can't (IE things like Calbre server to host my book library) and also automate some processes with backups and stuff in a way that Synology and Qnap NASs can't.

That doesn't mean those NASs are crap, but it is at least an example where, knowing my stuff, I was able to build a significantly more robust and capable file server for the same price or less than a lower end 2 disk NAS, or even a rather high end 4 disk NAS can manage (and much cheaper in that case).

You have to know your stuff though. You don't just stumble in to being able to do what QNap and Synology do. Any of my friend's/family asked me to build them a file server I'd tell them no, get a NAS. I don't/won't do the tech support for them.

From the discussion above, and DIY in general, most such users care only about the file storage and shares function of a NAS. That's key of course, but I and others rely on many of the other commercial NAS features and the web server admin interface for these.

But if mere file serving is all that's needed, OK.

Understood.

But that doesn't apply to the average user, which is ultimately who stevech is talking about...

I don't disagree. Which is why I said that I'd never recommend to any of my friends or family to roll their own server, because I know none of them are technically competent enough to keep one operating properly without tech support from me. I'll give a pass to my brother/father as the former is more proficient than I am (he should be, he is a sys admin as his day job) and the later is "good enough".

As for "good enough to serve files", the way you said that Stevetech makes it sounds like you are denegrating my setup. Unless I have missed something, my server has significantly more features than your typical NAS. No, I don't have a web console setup for stuff. However, I can/do RDP in to it when I want to make changes (and don't feel like standing in front of it). I have a nice web monitor for server health. Its is hosting many more services than any Synology or QNAP NAS I know about and has a heck of a lot more flexibility if I want to take it there. 6 drives total max, not including the fact that I can easily drop in a RAID card if I wanted to to expand that significantly further, or a dual port 10GbE card. It runs automated back-up jobs on my other machines, whereby it wakes them (from S3/S5) to pull nightly back-ups. I am tossing around the idea of hosting my LR library on it to store the RAW files instead of simply being the backup. It is running iTunes, plus I have an auto-update job running on the server to update the library as I generate new files (so I don't have to do manual updates). Calibre server. Download server. Probably a few other things I am not thinking of. It is running dual NICs that can be be used individually or combined with SMB3 in MS implementation to get 2GbE of throughput, not just 2x1GbE. This can easily be expanded (in this case by enabling the onboard NIC and I am up to 3GbE, or 3x1GbE, or some combination there of).

So I think saying mere file serving is rather disingenuous as I have my serving doing vastly more than any NAS can do.

Also it is doing it for probably not much more power than most 4 disk NAS use (20-21w idle, 32w with drives spun up).

Last edited:
I don't disagree. Which is why I said that I'd never recommend to any of my friends or family to roll their own server, because I know none of them are technically competent enough to keep one operating properly without tech support from me. I'll give a pass to my brother/father as the former is more proficient than I am (he should be, he is a sys admin as his day job) and the later is "good enough".

It's not just about the ease of setup and support. It's also about cost. Several people here have simply dismissed the cost of Windows license, as if it's something that a lot people have just lying around. That's simply not the case of the vast majority of home users who only purchase Windows licenses when they come bundled with a new PC.

When you add in that, the fact that you need antivirus, and some of the other things you need to effectively manage a Windows box, the TCO goes up quite a bit.

If you're going to change the topic to FreeNAS on Linux, the startup cost goes down considerably but the learning curve for a potential admin user is high enough that most of your average home users won't even be able to get past Square 1 with it.

We have to remember that a lot of us here aren't "typical users".

As for "good enough to serve files", the way you said that Stevetech makes it sounds like you are denegrating my setup.

Certainly not. Sorry if I came off that way. I do think there's merit in DIY, I just don't think it's something that the average user can support. I'm not necessarily agreeing with stevech that a DIY NAS is rudimentary and lacks features. It does, however, come with a cost. For me, there's just no way to compare a PC that runs Windows to my NAS appliance that has been running flawlessly without any errors at all for over 4 years. That kind of reliability simply doesn't exist in the Windows world.

Unless I have missed something, my server has significantly more features than your typical NAS.

Most SoC NAS don't support the number of drives or network interfaces you can support, that's true. However, of the other things you mention, my NAS can do almost all of them - iTunes/DLNA server, download/Torrent server, etc. Unlike a Windows-based NAS, it also support Time Machine backups and AFP for file transfers, which for me is an absolute necessity.

So I think saying mere file serving is rather disingenuous as I have my serving doing vastly more than any NAS can do.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I agree with this. I'm not trying to discount your setup at all.

Sorry I should have broken out my posts, I was mostly addressing Stevetech sounding dismissive of creating an actual server over a NAS.

I'll grant, not everyone has a Windows license laying around.

However, it generally isn't that expensive, yes it adds $80-100 to the cost, but as you mentioned, there are alternate operating systems.

Overall, as I said, it just depends on the user. Most users I'd never recommend rolling their own for any number of reasons, mostly due to lack of technical ability. That doesn't change if you go from Windows to Linux (other than recommending that much more that most people don't try to make a linux server).

A few things I can think of that my server allows me to do that I don't know of an easy way of doing, or that flat out can't be done for QNAP and Synology are automated back-ups from a machine that is off (I don't believe that their back-up stuff can do WOL to another machine), Calibre server, automated iTunes library updates (hosting iTunes, yes, automated updating of the library I am not aware of that ability) a more user friendly SFTP download setup (WinSCP is a lot nicer, IMHO, than solutions for Synology. I don't know about QNAP), run Handbrake (admittedly, very rare that I do that on my server since it has about 1/4th the processing power of my desktop), act as a LR "server", mail server (I knew there was something I was forgetting) and I may still be forgetting a service or two I have mine running.

I've also used my server for things like web browsing, desktop utils, etc when my desktop and/or laptop weren't handy/offline due to issues (I'll grant akward since you have to stand in front of the shelf in the basement where the server and monitor are located).

I think the only actual issues that took my server offline were introduced by me mucking with it. Maybe 2...possibly 3 issues over the last ~3 1/2 years of running it on Win7/8. Not including updates and stuff that required reboots. More frequently its something I ended up doing (or not doing) with my network gear itself that has caused issues. Like accidently powering off a managed switch when I had made changes to it but never committed them...so with the power cycle, the changes I had been relying on for the last 8 months (LAG connected to my other switch and no spanning tree setup in the saved/committed settings) disappeared and took me an hour to figure out why a device on one switch wouldn't talk to my router for DHCP.

The main point I was saying...

Is that....if you already have a spare computer...

Then, all you have to do is download FreeNAS and install it to a flash drive and boot computer from it.

Cost is completely free, in this case. (as is my case)

(or u can get a refurb or used sytem for around $50-$100 that would have more than enough power, or ask around, some folks have old computers stashed away in a closet or attic they may part with for free or dirt cheap)

Also, the argument about Windows license thing is weak. The OS is still fully functional when it is past its trial period.(has been since Vista i think, XP would not allow you to log in at all if expired)

Win 7 gives nag screens, win 8...u cant do some things in metro..bla bla..minor annoyances. Even Win Sever WHS 2011 and Sever 2012, still worked fine after trial period ends. I ran my Server 2012 system 24/7 for over a year after trial expired, and it still got updates fine. I eventually got a licensee for free my my college.

Last edited:
Also, the argument about Windows license thing is weak. The OS is still fully functional when it is past its trial period.(has been since Vista i think, XP would not allow you to log in at all if expired)

Seriously?

You're advocating running Windows in trial mode indefinitely?

Seriously?

You're advocating running Windows in trial mode indefinitely?

I am not "advocating" anything.

I am stating a known fact about current Windows Operating Systems.

Not my fault that Microsoft made their software like that.

Last edited: