What's new

What's the function of NAME in "MAC Filter list"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

decedion

Occasional Visitor
I have defined a name for each MAC in "MAC Filter list":

20140308_20%3A04%3A40_01.png

But when I see the "Client status" (list) in "Network Map" tab there isn't any device with the name:

20140308_20%3A03%3A58_01.png

I assume you talk about the Wireless MAC Filter list.
The name field there is just for your reference.

If you go to "LAN -> DHCP server -> Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 128)" and enter a "Name" here, that will be used by the "Network Map -> Client status".

I agree with you it doesn't seem to make much sense. I posted earlier about the client list without a response.
I have the same mac address show up about four times for different devices, when refreshing.
This is happening on the RT-66u and not always picking up all of the devices on my network. Managed to live with it for sometime. Maybe when Merlin gets back he might be able to get this sorted.:)

The "Network Map-> Client status" list has been a huge PITA, from what I've been reading here.

I just ignore this list, it seems useless to me.

I agree with you it doesn't seem to make much sense. I posted earlier about the client list without a response.
I have the same mac address show up about four times for different devices, when refreshing.
This is happening on the RT-66u and not always picking up all of the devices on my network. Managed to live with it for sometime. Maybe when Merlin gets back he might be able to get this sorted.:)

Upgrade your firmware. A bunch of networkmap issues were fixed in 374.40.

Some devices will take that name from DHCP message and use it as their own - e.g. Brother printers.

I'm on the latest 374.40

I am also on the new .40 Beta 3 and I still often the same network name with different MAC addresses are displayed. Is a little bit better since the .40 but the error still occurs even more frequently. Have a Reapeter (Netgear WN3000) on my network. May be different from going out the error.

I am also on the new .40 Beta 3 and I still often the same network name with different MAC addresses are displayed. Is a little bit better since the .40 but the error still occurs even more frequently. Have a Reapeter (Netgear WN3000) on my network. May be different from going out the error.

There's the reason. Your repeater acts like a bridge, so I'm betting you are seeing all those devices sharing your repeater's MAC.

This is a technical limitation of repeater/bridges, nothing I can do about it.

Genius Merlin

That's it then! I have a Dual Band Belkin Wireless Extender and had noticed that the mac address that appeared was it's.
Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list is helping a bit so thanks Builder 71.:)