What's new

Which Nas?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kev7274

Regular Contributor
I have been looking for a NAS for a while now and really haven't decided on what I should get I don't want to get more than needed or not enough.

At first,I thought that I would use it to stream to my laptop,android phone,mac book,etc. I then thought to my self,how many times would I be streaming to other devices. I mainly would be using it to store my videos,movies,blurays that I already have and backing up my laptop or two. Since the media will be played from the Nas to the tv,do I really need the DS214PLAY (transcoding) that I was planning on getting?

I have a WDTV live+ and a htpc that could do the transcoding if I actually needed it. So,I've come to a dilemma.

The main reason besides the media is to use it as a NVR for the IP cameras I have coming. I was going to get a separate NVR just for the cameras,but figured,since I'm getting a NAS anyways,why not just use the surveillance feature on it. I know I would need more licenses if installing more than the one camera.

So,should I stick with the 214play idea or look for something cheaper? I don't want to get something to old and they DSM software isn't available for updates.

Let me know what you think.Thanks

Opinion: The Play is mostly for the HDMI chipset. From what I read, it's too slow, doesn't do 1080. Maybe the issue is 1080p rather than 1080i.

I believe one should not ask a NAS to be a Roku box.

Thus, the 2 bay DS214's make more sense to me.

I struggled with all this 2 years ago and QNAP vs. Synology. It's still a close race between them. I've been very pleased with my DS212 and software DSM4.3. I don't use RAID as I feel it's not prudent in a 2 bay NAS.

I use the USB3 to do external backup to a drive formatted by the NAS (speed reasons), and in an emergency, I have freeware that will mount/read that USB3 drive in MS Windows.

Synology has so far supported about 5 year old products with new OSes.

But knock-wood, no troubles so far.

Stevech how is your USB 3.0 speed? I have a 190MB/s USB 3.0 64GB Patriot Rage USB key in my DS214 and the speeds to read from and write to were pretty lame, but it was formatted in my PC.

How do I format the USB from the DS?