What's new

Which way to go, Netgear or TP Link?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netdude

New Around Here
Hello, new to the forum. Found some great information here.

I am looking to buy a new gigabit router with the feature set found in both the
Netgear 3700 and the TP Link 4300. However, I am unsure which way to go as there is not many reviews on the 4300.

I have read the specs of both, features support for Open firmware..etc.

I am still undecided on which one is actually going to give me the best features, speeds and options. They both seems to be well regarded from owners.

Any help would be appreciated.

Only way to tell for sure is buy both, try them and return the one you don't want.

I have the TP LINK 4300

Issues
1. VOIP Traffic is dropped after one minute going through the router. Know issue since the units release date some months ago. Still no solution.

TP Link says if you disable the Hardware NAT then it helps a bit. This also results in the speed dropping from gigabit to 100mbit throughput for the WAN which was one of the key reasons I originally was interested in this unit.

2. Has lots of issues with compatibility and wireless lockup (suddenly wireless access is lost while the "switch" continues to work)

3. Has extremely poor wireless range. I cannot even get the range I get with my old wireless G routers despite the tp links extra two antennas. (I'm trying to get 20 meters through about 3 walls with at least reasonable signal strength. Can do it easily with a billion 6404VGP and an old Dynalink 1046VW but the tp link cannot get half the range)

4. Has issues with firmware resetting to defaults after making changes

5. Has issues with remote access settings "dropping"

I know tp link are working the compatibility issue but I don't really know if any of the other problems will ever be addressed. What draw me to the tp link was the promise of fast gigabit hardware nat, good support for vpn passthrough, strong wireless. So far two out of three have not been achieved plus still cannot get VOIP working through it stable even with the hardware NAT crippled. VPN pass through works fine.

I have never tested the netgear 3700 but would be keen to know how it compares as I'm thinking of tossing the tp link and considering the netgear units. I don't think the extra wireless bandwidth really counts if the wireless range is so crippled so I suspect the 3700's lower bandwidth would result in about the same actual throughput figures in a real world environment....

have you excluded most all other brands/models?
(of course, can't scrutinize every one on the market!)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!