What's new

WHS to Synology: What to expect?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cadred

New Around Here
I currently have a failing HP Mediasmart server running WHS v1. Based on reputation I'm leaning towards a Synology server - probably something in the DS411 series - and I had a few questions about how they compare.

1) WHS has its (controversial) Drive extender. How seamless is it to add *and remove* drives for a synology box?

2) How is the drive error reporting? I had a major problem where WHS did not report a failing drive for over a month, which sucked.

3) How resilient is it to drive failure? Despite #2, folder duplication saved my butt. I know synology supports several kinds of raid, but does it all work at the drive level, or can I have folder level duplication (aka non-critical folders which do not duplicate, saving space)?

4) Performance - the MediaSmart server was a dog, I assume the DS411+ii server is reasonably fast, but how is the performance on the single core boxes?

5) Media Servers - I never had much luck making my WHS box act as a media server, what is the experience on synlogy?

6) pyTivo? Will it be possible to host a pyTivo installation?

7) How does it handle "green drives"? I know they can cause some issues in certain situations.

Thanks!

I currently have a failing HP Mediasmart server running WHS v1. Based on reputation I'm leaning towards a Synology server - probably something in the DS411 series - and I had a few questions about how they compare.

I am more of a Netgear Readynas guy, but I'll tell you what I know...

1) WHS has its (controversial) Drive extender. How seamless is it to add *and remove* drives for a synology box?

See here about Synology Hybrid RAID. Its more like true RAID as opposed to Drive Extender. Note, Drive Extender is not included with WHS V2 recently released.

http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/RAID.php#SHR

2) How is the drive error reporting? I had a major problem where WHS did not report a failing drive for over a month, which sucked.

Well, Readynas is really good about reporting SMART data anomalies. Cannot say for sure with Synology but I do know they monitor SMART data. Its probably better than your WHS box.

3) How resilient is it to drive failure? Despite #2, folder duplication saved my butt. I know synology supports several kinds of raid, but does it all work at the drive level, or can I have folder level duplication (aka non-critical folders which do not duplicate, saving space)?

All NAS is drive level RAID. Some NAS boxes allow you to create multiple RAID sets provided you have a NAS with 3 or more disks. That can be a more in depth discussion. In general the answer to your question is NO. NAS RAID is drive level.

4) Performance - the MediaSmart server was a dog, I assume the DS411+ii server is reasonably fast, but how is the performance on the single core boxes?

See this chart for performance data. I think you'll find the DS411+ is a screamer.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

5) Media Servers - I never had much luck making my WHS box act as a media server, what is the experience on synlogy?

You should have no problem.

No idea. I recommend you ask on the Synology forums.

7) How does it handle "green drives"? I know they can cause some issues in certain situations.

First, make sure you ONLY use disks that are on Synology's HCL. http://www.synology.com/us/products/compatibility.php

Thanks!

I suggest you send product inquiry on the Synology website. They will reply these questions very quickly.