What's new

Wired Router w QOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWadle

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for a 4+ port wired router that can provide DHCP and effective QOS for a single 180 Mbps WAN Internet connection. I am currently using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE which has only 3 available LAN ports and can only provide QOS up to about 90 Mbps WAN.

Any recommendations appreciated.

You have many options. The question is what sort of QoS are you after. Mikrotik offers the most options for QoS configuration in the sense that you can pick your QoS type/algorithm, buffer size if relevant and you can make que trees and so on. They also have a lot of hardware that dont rely on hardware acceleration unlike with ubiquiti. Ubiquiti's performance figures are very misleading.

pfsense is also a good option and so are any linux/unix servers. Cisco has professional routers that also can do the same thing mikrotik does with QoS.

For 180Mb/s of QoS you could consider the RB850gx2 if on a budget. That CPU is better than what ubiquiti uses in that it takes less of a performance hit just like with x86 when you add complexity. Its basically the same CPU as the RB1100AHx2 but at half the frequency. The RB850gx2 is a direct competitor to the ERL.

If you dont need complicated QoS consumer routers like asus will do fine.

Can you define your QoS needs/wants more precisely?

pfsense is also a good option and so are any linux/unix servers

pfSense eats babies - one must need to be aware about basic networking concepts to make the most of it - same would probably go for RouterOS and other platforms...

If one's needs are simple, then most consumer router/AP's will do a decent job within their default configs.

pfSense eats babies - one must need to be aware about basic networking concepts to make the most of it - same would probably go for RouterOS and other platforms...

If one's needs are simple, then most consumer router/AP's will do a decent job within their default configs.
The OP was already using ubiquiti edgerouter, so pretty sure the OP is used to complicated.

The OP was already using ubiquiti edgerouter, so pretty sure the OP is used to complicated.

Fair enough - but RouterOS and pfSense have paths that can take folks down a very dark place if they're not knowledgable - but nice places if they are ;)

Fair enough - but RouterOS and pfSense have paths that can take folks down a very dark place if they're not knowledgable - but nice places if they are ;)
Some dark places are very nice...

Seriously, after the extensive research I've done on this, my very first question would be: What kind of ipv6 support do you want? Some of the options have NO ipv6 support, some have extremely limited support. In fact, the ONLY solution I've found so far that has GOOD ipv6 support is pfsense. ("GOOD" meaning that it can request a PD and subnet that out to different interfaces dynamically without requiring a static address.)