What's new

ZenWiFi AX 2.5G port to PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pauluk

Occasional Visitor
hi all

considering purchasing an asus ZenWiFi AX mesh, I have a 10gb/2.5gb port on my pc. So wondering if I could connect my pc directly to the asus for some extra speed throughout? Thinking of using it with an oculus quest 2 and virtual desktop for wireless pc gaming.

thanks in advance,

Sure. The 2.5GbE port defaults to being a LAN port.

Just to update, i received my Zenwifi AX . But having a bit of trouble getting it set up.

So my network is like this.

Broadband modem ----> network switch -----> Zenwifi AX <----- wan port 2.5gb computer 10gb port

In Access point mode it all works fine, my pc connects to the 2.5gb wan port fine. But in that mode i can use parental controls. And parental controls are one of the main reasons for buying this so its important to have it on.
So trying to put it to wireless router mode but then it wont allow me to connect via the 2.5gb wan port, only the other ports or via wifi.

Any ideas how i can get around this, i tried disabling wan but that just completely disables the port.

Thanks alot

So where is your router if you are using the ZenWiFi as an AP?

If you are putting the ZenWiFi in AP mode, you lose parental controls and other features.

If you use the ZenWiFi as a router, you can set the 2.5 GbE port as LAN OR WAN.

The ISP router is downstairs and I have that connected to a switch upstairs. then the zenwifi connects into that.

could you explain how to change wan to Lan for the 2.5gb port as I couldn't see how?

many thanks

I'm sorry. I was wrong. The XT8 doesn't have a separate WAN port. So the only way you get a 2.5 GbE LAN port is to use it in AP mode. But then you lose router features, as you have discovered.

Again, I apologize for misleading you. I'm surprised no one else jumped in to correct me.

ok not to worry. I`ve connected my pc via 802.11ax (5GHz) to the xt8 , would there be much difference in throughput compared to the 2.5gbe. In the specs it says the asus can go upto a 4808Mbps. If thats the case I could just use it via wifi 6?

4808 Mbps is the link rate for a four stream device with 160 MHz bandwidth. Two stream devices, most likely what is in your PC, will get maximum link rates of 1201 Mbps with 80 MHz bandwidth and 2402 Mbps with 160 MHz bandwidth. You'll likely need to use 160 MHz bandwidth to exceed 1 Gbps throughput. But unless your ISP router and switch have 2.5 GbE ports, your throughput will be limited to 1 Gbps.

ok thanks. I was thinking about if my pc is sending data to another WiFi 6 device what would be the most efficient way, via a 2.5gbe or via WiFi 6. sorry for all the basic questions, I'm new to networking setups.

Wired connections are always the most efficient/effective way. For the short distances involved to get those highest speeds, you may as well physically connect the client device(s).

In other words, with a wired connection, the indicated connection rate should be the actual limit of your throughput with capable devices and test methods.

With a wireless connection, in addition to the short distances, the environmental variables (including non-Wi-Fi interference that may or may not be 'fixable'), the half-duplex nature of Wi-Fi, and the overhead that wireless throughput incurs will invariably lose to a wired connection. Except in select Wi-Fi environments over a specific period (even if it is faster, it won't last forever as the RF around the network constantly changes).

If you have a choice, wire it with the best possible cable you can.

ok thanks. I was thinking about if my pc is sending data to another WiFi 6 device what would be the most efficient way, via a 2.5gbe or via WiFi 6. sorry for all the basic questions, I'm new to networking setups.
No need to apologize. Can't learn if you don't ask questions. :)
If you could go directly between Wi-Fi 6 devices AND you were using 160 MHz bandwidth, you could achieve > 1 Gbps throughput.

But that is not normally how Wi-Fi devices work. Each device would transmit to the router, which then retransmits to the other device. This takes twice as long, so your throughput is cut in half.

ok thanks. In the end I gave up, just couldn't get parental controls working in router mode. And also I forgot how much I loath Asus interfaces. They seem to hide everything away and the phone app is cut down considerably. But I was getting some decent speeds out of it.
So may try again with the tplink deco x90 when it's available.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!