What's new

ZenWifi AX No 160mhz for backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think this was confirmed that 160MHz width is only available for the backhaul/node?
I am pretty sure I read this somewhere on this forum. ;)

It was, and it was stated there was a claim by ASUS they would be adding this in a firmware update.
The 5GHz 1 radio is (I think) 2x2 so it would become capable of up to 2400bps sync rate a best at 160MHz.

I'm still wondering if I should get these, problem is they only come in a 2 pack but at this stage I only need one and the cost well ...

Definitely not what I see on my ZenWifi. I only see 20/40/80 mhz and no checkbox for 160mhz! I've tried various different settings, such as adjusting back-haul channel, DFS, etc. Nothing.

And as I was also saying, the WAN port on my satellite node when used as a LAN port for a device loses connection after a short while.

I'm being told none of this is normal for my device, yet no solutions. ASUS has reached out to me, so perhaps they will be able to provide fixes for me. But at this point, I'm probably going to return my ZenWifi, as I don't like having a product that apparently is not like everyone elses!

Also, I noticed the other day MU-MIMO is not on option in the firmware for 5ghz-1, but is there for the back-haul 5ghz-2.

I don't know, it just seems ASUS has rushed this product/firmware to market. Yet, every past ASUS firmware for me has had consistent options in the firmware.

In post number 14 above and looking to line 3 "BAND"...
can you select different Bands e.g. 2.4 GHz , 5GHz-1 ( that is one section) ; the next pull down is 5 GHz-2 ?

AND , when I setup my system (Zenwifi AX8) on the initial startup I chose "Enable Smart Connect " as my initial configuration. I did not select ( turn in on) after the system was running and operational.
Just mentioning it in passing.

In post number 14 above and looking to line 3 "BAND"...
can you select different Bands e.g. 2.4 GHz , 5GHz-1 ( that is one section) ; the next pull down is 5 GHz-2 ?

AND , when I setup my system (Zenwifi AX8) on the initial startup I chose "Enable Smart Connect " as my initial configuration. I did not select ( turn in on) after the system was running and operational.
Just mentioning it in passing.

Yes, I have 3 bands. 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1, 5ghz-2. No 160 in any. It should be available in the back-haul 5ghz-2 band.

Yes, I have 3 bands. 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1, 5ghz-2. No 160 in any. It should be available in the back-haul 5ghz-2 band.

I know this seems a bit parochial but look at the following
Band is 5GHz-2
Channel Bandwidth
see below.
Note the selection of a check box [] is that available to you?

& Note the nomenclature on " Hide SSID" - if you disable, it should be visible to a device

Again , this is simple blocking and tackling, but thought worth mentioning .
upload_2020-2-18_6-54-3.png

ASUS has told me the mention of 160mhz is a bug, as in Canada they are not suppose to be allowing any 160mhz. My understanding is that in Canada 160mhz is allowed, I guess I am mistaken?

ASUS has told me the mention of 160mhz is a bug, as in Canada they are not suppose to be allowing any 160mhz. My understanding is that in Canada 160mhz is allowed, I guess I am mistaken?

It shouldn't be about channel width, but about which channels are allowed. Canada mostly shares the same channels as the US (Asus devices sold in Canada use the US region code).

However, according to Wikipedia, 160 MHz shouldn't be available for the U-NII-3 band, only the U-NII-2A and U-NII-2C (if their table is accurate, which I am not certain).

It shouldn't be about channel width, but about which channels are allowed. Canada mostly shares the same channels as the US (Asus devices sold in Canada use the US region code).

However, according to Wikipedia, 160 MHz shouldn't be available for the U-NII-3 band, only the U-NII-2A and U-NII-2C (if their table is accurate, which I am not certain).

Canada is a bit similar to Australia.
As you say Wikipedia might not be entirely accurate but gives:
5GHz-1: 36,40,44,48 52,56,60,64(DFS)
5GHz-2: 100,104,108,112,114(not allowed),116(DFS) 132,136,140,144(DFS) 149,153,157,161

So according to this there aren't 8 contiguous channels for the 5GHZ-2 wireless.
But, when and if ASUS add the 160MHz option to 5GHz-1 wireless it should be available for it giving 2.4GBs possible sync. rate on both 5GHz wireless.

The other problem is Canada might not be an available region so ASUS may be using a similar one with less available channels in the high wireless channels, same result though so probably not worth worrying about.

So from what it sounds like its possible Canada may see 160mhz for 5Ghz-1 band, but not the backhaul band 5ghz-2?

Re: the 2.5g port on the extra node. ASUS says it should only disconnect upon first connecting a device as the node checks to see if it should be used as a WAN or LAN port. Unfortunately, what appears to be happening in my case is the connection disconnects around 10 minutes or so and does not re-connect. I've asked if this is a bug that will be fixed or if I should be returning my ZenWifi.

So from what it sounds like its possible Canada may see 160mhz for 5Ghz-1 band, but not the backhaul band 5ghz-2?

Re: the 2.5g port on the extra node. ASUS says it should only disconnect upon first connecting a device as the node checks to see if it should be used as a WAN or LAN port. Unfortunately, what appears to be happening in my case is the connection disconnects around 10 minutes or so and does not re-connect. I've asked if this is a bug that will be fixed or if I should be returning my ZenWifi.

Ha, yeah, I'm out of luck with 160GHz on WiFi-2 ...

That problem with the 2.5g port worries me too as the NAS I would be connecting to the router (as a node) has a 2.5g port on it.
The AX11000 2.5g port is annoying too, it always had a problem after rebooting the AX11000 (I've moved the router now) where I needed to unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in ... but what your seeing sounds much worse.

Ha, yeah, I'm out of luck with 160GHz on WiFi-2 ...

That problem with the 2.5g port worries me too as the NAS I would be connecting to the router (as a node) has a 2.5g port on it.
The AX11000 2.5g port is annoying too, it always had a problem after rebooting the AX11000 (I've moved the router now) where I needed to unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in ... but what your seeing sounds much worse.

They are investigating the 2.5g port on the ZenWifi as they think it is a bug not a defect.

So on a 2nd node with a 2.5g Wan port you can configure it as a 2.5g LAN port?

If so it might be better to buy 2 nodes separately because they go for ~$230/ea, and I'd rather pay $20 more for 2.5g rather than having to upgrade later.

So on a 2nd node with a 2.5g Wan port you can configure it as a LAN port?

If so it might be better to buy 2 nodes separately because they go for ~$230/ea, and I'd rather pay $20 more for 2.5g rather than having to upgrade later.

Yes, you are suppose to be able to do that, and it does work for a little bit.

Both Zen nodes are the same and either can be used as your router. And currently you cannot buy addon nodes, unless you want to buy another 2 pack.

Yes, you are suppose to be able to do that, and it does work for a little bit.

Both Zen nodes are the same and either can be used as your router. And currently you cannot buy addon nodes, unless you want to buy another 2 pack.
Well, I assume eventually they're going to sell individual nodes separately as that's the whole point.

If that's the case I might as well wait- I don't really understand why they didn't offer both nodes in the 2 pack with 2.5g ports to begin with.

PS: Wait- I'm confused. I thought only one node came with a 2.5g WAN/LAN port? So in the 2 pack they both have a 2.5g port? If so I'll just buy one.

The wireless backhaul is 2.5g or limited to 1g? Wired only for 2.5g?

Yes, both nodes have a 2.5g port / wan port. Backhaul is AX in wireless and you can wire ethernet from nodes from the 2.5g/wan ports.

Yes, both nodes have a 2.5g port / wan port. Backhaul is AX in wireless and you can wire ethernet from nodes from the 2.5g/wan ports.
Ok, if wireless backhaul is 2.5g I'll pick up a 2 pack once they iron the bugs out.

Is only one port configurable as a WAN port? (ie: can I configure a 1gb port as a WAN port and use the 2.5GB port for LAN?)

I was a bit confused because in some pictures I saw it looked like the 2nd node didn't have a labeled 2.5g WAN/LAN port.

Last edited:
Ok, if wireless backhaul is 2.5g I'll pick up a 2 pack once they iron the bugs out.

Is only one port configurable as a WAN port? (ie: can I configure a 1gb port as a WAN port and use the 2.5GB port for LAN?)

I was a bit confused because in some pictures I saw it looked like the 2nd node didn't have a labeled 2.5g WAN/LAN port.

I suspect ASUS will be supporting ZenWifi a lot. Its really the first product from them built from the ground up with proper mesh system. And to their credit, they are communicating well.

I suspect ASUS will be supporting ZenWifi a lot. Its really the first product from them built from the ground up with proper mesh system. And to their credit, they are communicating well.
If I can configure a 1g port as a WAN port this will work for me as then I can transfer files from my PC to my NAS at 2.5g on the 2nd node LAN port. My internet is 1g so I don't need any more than that.

Asus really needs to specify all this stuff on their webpage- right now it seems to be just a guessing game on what the XT8 supports.

If I can configure a 1g port as a WAN port this will work for me as then I can transfer files from my PC to my NAS at 2.5g on the 2nd node LAN port. My internet is 1g so I don't need any more than that.

Asus really needs to specify all this stuff on their webpage- right now it seems to be just a guessing game on what the XT8 supports.

I agree, the webpage for the new ZenWifi is not very clear and you would think with the product now out in the wild there would be more info. Even some of the reviews don't give you much more. I like Dong, for example, but nowhere in his review does it say ZenWifi supports WP3, when it does. Neither does any of ASUS marketing online or on the box.

I agree, the webpage for the new ZenWifi is not very clear and you would think with the product now out in the wild there would be more info. Even some of the reviews don't give you much more. I like Dong, for example, but nowhere in his review does it say ZenWifi supports WP3, when it does. Neither does any of ASUS marketing online or on the box.
Did you try WP3? I played around with the 5GHz-2 channel (Ethernet backhaul), and when I selected WP3 I got a message saying that choosing WP3 (or WP2/WP3) would disable AIMesh. I wasn't brave enough to push past that point.

Did you try WP3? I played around with the 5GHz-2 channel (Ethernet backhaul), and when I selected WP3 I got a message saying that choosing WP3 (or WP2/WP3) would disable AIMesh. I wasn't brave enough to push past that point.

I haven't tried WP3. The only thing it told me was it needed protected frames to be capable or required. My understanding is WPA3 is pretty useless right now unless the devices support it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!