What's new

10 gbe home network build

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm sorry, I don't understand that 10Gb home network you are planning to build with one switch and one access point. Draw a diagram of this network the way you see it, from the ISP equipment to your eventual clients. List what equipment do you have available and what you intend to add or replace.
Surely you dont need a diagram for this. It's the most simplest solution.
I have internet, a fiber konverter (which i btw might change the SPF+ connectors of to gain more speed without my ISP knowledge. If i go maximum bandwidth they can offer.)
I then will have to bypass the fiberconverter and put it somewhere else, i imagine a switch is sufficient. Probably a manageble one.
An Accesspoint added to that and i have WiFi connection too (for my wifi devices such as cellphone)
The rest, RJ45 to switch.

This is my idea, where are the flaws? Please point them out :D

[1] Well, the switches i linked in the beginning of this thread is suitable, is it not?
[2] Paired with an AP and you got 10gbe network with WiFi.
[3] The manageable switch can function as a router, yes? [...] What differs?
[1] Suitable to create a 10Gb LAN, sure.
[2] 10Gb wired backhaul, but not 10Gb wifi. Even a Unifi UAP XG (the only 10Gb-port AP I know of) will only fronthaul 4.2Gb/s max, but likely far less in reality.
[3] No. Routers handle network address translation (NAT), ie. translating public IP addresses into private ones; switches do not. You will still need a router for WAN access.

So, for a 10Gb network, you'd need a 10Gb router, downlinked via 10Gb copper or fiber to a 10Gb switch, patched via 10Gb copper or fiber to 10Gb-capable endpoints, with all components able to sustain 10Gb at full backplane saturation. For 10Gb wireless, you'd need 10Gb APs patched to the 10Gb switch via 10Gb copper (or fiber via conversion), but the AP radios won't fronthaul more than mid-level multi-gig, and in reality, far less (thus my suggestion of 2.5 or 5Gb APs above). So, even with 10Gb ports everywhere, the best you'll have in practical reality, would be a 10Gb aggregate WAN, 10+Gb aggregate LAN with up-to 10Gb individual connections, and 10Gb aggregate WLAN with individual client throughput limited to likely 1-2Gb/s at spatial streams above 2x2 at the highest MCS (again, unlikely conditions).

So there's your complete answer. Make sense now?

Last edited:
Yes thank you!
The AP can be whatever. I just figured anything with wifi-6 would do, and ofc perferdably as high port to the AP as possible (within reason of price). So a router is the seccond step to look at. And since managable switch can't handle NAT there is no need for a managable swich either, any regular 10gbe switch will do. The cheaper example i linked in the first post.

What router would you recommend? :)

since managable switch can't handle NAT there is no need for a managable swich either, any regular 10gbe switch will do.
True, but if you ever wanted to VLAN or manage the traffic flowing through the switch in any way, you'd of course need a managed model. For such a high-throughput backplane, which could very well act as a nice LAN "core", I'd suggest a managed switch, just for the flexibility later on, but factoring in budget and your preferences, unmanaged will certainly work.

As for a router, for just 10Gb/s of NAT at minimal cost with no other services or special functionality mentioned, I would look at a Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS, or you could build a 10Gb x86 router, using parts from this Reddit post (that post is also a good read as to how to build out a 10Gb home network, in general).

@johndoe85 - That's a consumer-class all-in-one router, which can be run as an access point, but is way less robust (internal fan, consumer-class code base), not wall-mountable, lacks PoE and additional manageability (VLANs, etc.) and has commodity RF. It is cheap, though, relatively speaking, at <$500 USD street price, and offers a single 10GbE port.

For an actual purpose-built option, the best for purely highest bandwidth IMHO is the Aruba AP-555, with one 4x4 2.4Ghz and two 8x8 5Ghz radios, dual 5GbE ports, which can be aggregated to 10GbE via 2-port LAG, although doing so would require a managed 5/10Gb switch with LACP support. So, a spendy proposition, at ~$1500 USD street price for the AP, plus the additional cost for a managed switch if you wanted equivalent wired throughput.

The AX89X would be the fastest for wired speed in an unmanaged setup -- presuming it's internals could actually bridge 10Gb/s -- and likely have higher single-cell "range" (as it's way more highly amplified), but overall, the AP-555 would likely trounce it on stability, reliability and manageability.

@johndoe85 - That's a consumer-class all-in-one router, which can be run as an access point, but is way less robust (internal fan, consumer-class code base), not wall-mountable, lacks PoE and additional manageability (VLANs, etc.) and has commodity RF. It is cheap, though, relatively speaking, at <$500 USD street price, and offers a single 10GbE port.

For an actual purpose-built option, the best for purely highest bandwidth IMHO is the Aruba AP-555, with one 4x4 2.4Ghz and two 8x8 5Ghz radios, dual 5GbE ports, which can be aggregated to 10GbE via 2-port LAG, although doing so would require a managed switch. So, a spendy proposition, at ~$1500 USD street price for the AP, plus the additional cost for a managed switch if you wanted equivalent wired throughput.

The AX89X would be the fastest for wired speed in an unmanaged setup -- presuming it's internals could actually bridge 10Gb/s -- and likely have higher single-cell "range" (as it's way more highly amplified), but overall, the AP-555 would likely trounce it on stability, reliability and manageability.
yeah ok, thank you :)

For an actual purpose-built option, the best for purely highest bandwidth IMHO is the Aruba AP-555, with one 4x4 2.4Ghz and two 8x8 5Ghz radios, dual 5GbE ports, which can be aggregated to 10GbE via 2-port LAG, although doing so would require a managed 5/10Gb switch with LACP support. So, a spendy proposition, at ~$1500 USD street price for the AP, plus the additional cost for a managed switch if you wanted equivalent wired throughput.

Introducing an enterprise or industrial AP to a consumer?:eek: Where is a CISCO Enterprise AP? I Iike Catalyst and Aironet though.

Last edited:
Introducing an enterprise or industrial AP to a consumer?:eek: Where is a CISCO Enterprise AP? I Iike Catalyst and Aironet though.
Indeed, they make solid stuff, too. The Catalyst 9130 is their highest-throughput AP; 4x4+8x8 dual band mode, or 4x4/4x4/4x4 tri-band mode, a single 5GbE wired port, so a slightly less total throughput capacity than the Aruba. Still a nice unit.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!