What's new

10 gbe home network build

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why do you want to waste 10Gb ports to connect APs? If you prefer Ubiquiti, see what they offer with WI-Fi 6 support.

Why do you want to waste 10Gb ports to connect APs? If you prefer Ubiquiti, see what they offer with WI-Fi 6 support.
I don't prefer anything, i want 10gbe connectivity at home. And somewhere in that network it needs to be managable. If that comes from switch or router i dont care about.

You may eventually want 10Gb switch for your wired 10Gb capable devices. Access points should be fine with 1Gb PoE switch. Look for @Trip posts in Wireless Buying Advice forum section for hardware options and expert advice.

@johndoe85 - Cool that you're trying to build a 10-gig network, but before jumping into AP specs, it's good to remember the main limitations at play here, namely the challenge of fronthauling enough traffic through a single AP to saturate a multi-gig, let alone 10-gig, backhaul link. It's one thing to slap a multi/10-gig port on an AP and connect it to a multi/10-gig switch; it's a whole other thing to actually saturate the port -- very hard to do in most real-world conditions, even with the highest-spatial streams, three radios and Wifi 6. So, if you get bummed as to why there aren't more 10gig port APs out there, that's in large part why (aside from simple supply chain and/or part cost).

So, I would look to uptick your capacity to 10-gig+ on aggregate, as opposed to individually per AP. The best way to do this is to run as tight a matrix of multi-gig APs as can exist without being too co-interferent (ie. with as low-power and tight a broadcast per AP as possible). This will supply as much high link-rate fronthaul as can realistically fit across your residence, with which to saturate all those fast multi-gig ports at once.

All that being understood, time to look at gear. There are a few Wifi 6 2.5Gb APs in the SMB segments that are pretty good, namely the Netgear WAX610 and WAX620, TP-Link EAP 660 HD and EnGenius EWS377AP. All in the $150-300 range. For 5Gb, you'll need to go to enterprise-class with the likes of Aruba IAP-535 or IAP-555, or Ruckus R750 or R850, each about $600+. I think the best cost-to-benefit tier right now would be 2.5Gb capable switching with 2.5Gb capable APs.

So, hope that helps. Any questions, feel free.

Last edited:
I don't think investing in high-priced APs with 2.5/5Gb ports will result in any measurable benefits in Wi-Fi performance since most common mobile clients are 2-stream and can't reach 1Gb throughput anyway. @johndoe85 has to run 20 clients at maximum possible speeds connected to 20 different APs and push all this traffic through available Wi-Fi channels. Why so many clients and APs? Because APs can't be running 80/160MHz wide channel, otherwise the interference will kill the throughput instantly. Must be many APs on 20MHz wide channel and spread through entire spectrum for a chance to see close to 10Gb aggregate traffic. I'm not sure if it's even possible in a single home environment. It's investing ton of money in something highly unlikely to happen.

Indeed, port speed alone won't add wifi throughput, but if the OP has enough Wifi 6 clients and enough stuff above 2x2, along with sustained utilization, 2.5GbE could be some level of "worth it", especially if he's already got the switching. Still probably not a lot, if any, ROI for the average use-case, I would agree.

It takes each band running full blast, but a tri-radio Wi-Fi 5 or 6 router operating 20 MHz B/W in 2.4g and 80 MHz on each 5g radio can easily exceed 1 Gbps

With tri-radio 6E, I'm seeing ~ 3 Gbps with 2.4GHz @ 20 MHz, 5 GHz @ 80 MHz and 6 GHz @ 160 MHz with the Linksys Hydra Pro 6E I'm testing for review. I has a 5 GbE WAN port (not switchable to LAN).

Only in ideal lab test conditions with your equipment, @thiggins. Your test chamber is completely isolated from other networks, I guess. I don’t see it as realistic real world use in home environment with multiple APs (to ensure the necessary area coverage) running on the same frequency bands, simultaneously + interference from other wireless networks around.

One 6 GHz 2 stream STA alone, running full blast @ 160 MHz B/W will exceed 1 Gbps in open air.

Folks doing large local file transfers will need at least 2.5 GbE.

For testing, I had to send back the TP-Link 2.5 GbE switch I bought 2 aeeks ago and step up to a QNAP 10GbE switch to handle the 5 GbE port on the Linksys. Nice little switch, BTW, and not too expensive for 8 1 GbE ports + 4 10 GBe (both copper and SFP+)

For testing, I had to send back the TP-Link 2.5 GbE switch I bought 2 aeeks ago and step up to a QNAP 10GbE switch to handle the 5 GbE port on the Linksys. Nice little switch, BTW, and not too expensive for 8 1 GbE ports + 4 10 GBe (both copper and SFP+)

I've had a m408-4c for a while now (about 6 months) - firmware was initially a bit rough around the edges but they've been pretty good on fixes so far

they've also got a new model out with 8 * 2.5gbe and 2 * multigig combo ports for similar money (m2108-2c) - good if you've got a lot of 2.5gbe clients

One 6 GHz 2 stream STA alone, running full blast @ 160 MHz B/W will exceed 1 Gbps in open air.

Okay, tell @johndoe85 what is needed and how much it costs. He is asking for access point, perhaps he needs one only. He can eventually see that speed to one only client, in the same room. This is going to be quite expensive speedtest run. I wouldn't go for Wi-Fi 6 at all at the moment. Good Wi-Fi 5 AP(s) now, Wi-Fi 6(e) AP(s) when prices go down and more clients are available.

You may eventually want 10Gb switch for your wired 10Gb capable devices. Access points should be fine with 1Gb PoE switch. Look for @Trip posts in Wireless Buying Advice forum section for hardware options and expert advice.
Yes, but there seems to be no router for 10gbe connection, so i will have to go with an AP instead for the WiFi-6 connectivity. And here i have a problem finding a suitable candidate.
The switch i linked to has 10gbe both RJ45 and SPF+ ports and is managable L3.

And i don't need this at all. I just wanted a 10gbe switch and I figured a router would be excessive if the switch is manageable. So I figured an AP might do the trick.
But again, I only want this for the lol's of it. I don't even have a server worth the name anymore. I'm running a raspberry pi 4 and like 4 WiFi clients at home.

I bought the RT-AX86U, but while doing the purchase my brain got spinning. What if...? 10gbe would be funny. Like having a fat car for no good reason.

Hence my question here

I only want this for the lol's of it.

All 10Gb gear is too expensive for just an experiment. There are routers for 10Gb or you can build one yourself. Netgate XG-7100 as an example for ready to go product with 2x10Gb Intel ports. Base version is $900, with more RAM and larger SSD $1300. With few thousand dollars you can build a good 10Gb home network, but the main question remains - what you are going to use it for?

There are plenty of 10Gb-capable routers, just that most are wired-only, single-purpose boxes (enterprise silicon, Mikrotik TILE, x86 w/ PCI cards, etc.).
Yeah, hence i asked for an AP :)

All 10Gb gear is too expensive for just an experiment. There are routers for 10Gb or you can build one yourself. Netgate XG-7100 as an example for ready to go product with 2x10Gb Intel ports. Base version is $900, with more RAM and larger SSD $1300. With few thousand dollars you can build a good 10Gb home network, but the main question remains - what you are going to use it for?
Well, the switches i linked in the beginning of this thread is suitable, is it not? Paired with an AP and you got 10gbe network with WiFi. The manageable switch can function as a router, yes?

I'm sorry, I don't understand that 10Gb home network you are planning to build with one switch and one access point. Draw a diagram of this network the way you see it, from the ISP equipment to your eventual clients. List what equipment do you have available and what you intend to add or replace.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!