What's new

10GbE @ RJ45

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hikari

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I believed that for RJ45 we need SFP+, but I'm seeing some mobos offering onboard 10GbE on RJ45 ports.

I'm looking for any switch that would use RJ45 and have 10GbE but found none.

10GBASE-T uses RJ45; 100m on good CAT 6A installation and 55m on CAT6. TP-Link has a new 8 port 10GbE unmanaged switch: TL-SX1008

tnx :)

Is it possible to interconnect SFP+ with 10GbE RJ45? Is it possible to connect a Intel X710-da4 or X550-T2 to a TL-XS1008?

Could you suggest a switch that's managed and supports 802.1q?

Last edited:
tnx :)

Is it possible to interconnect SFP+ with 10GbE RJ45? Is it possible to connect a Intel X710-da4 or X550-T2 to a TL-XS1008?

Could you suggest a switch that's managed and supports 802.1q?

any sfp+ port can be made into a 10base-t port using a suitable sfp+ 10base-t transceiver - only issue (apart from cost) is the heat they generate

There is a wide variety of SFP+ to RJ45 transceivers but you have to search for modules compatible with specific brands or families of switches.
The Intel X550-T2 is a 10GBASE-T adapter with an RJ45 so it should work fine. The X710 only works with direct attach copper cables and a couple of Intel's optical transcievers.

What would you be looking for in a managed 10GbE switch? There are a lot of them with varied number of 10GbE RJ45, SFP+ and 1, 2.5 and 5 GbE ports

any sfp+ port can be made into a 10base-t port using a suitable sfp+ 10base-t transceiver - only issue (apart from cost) is the heat they generate

I got it, so we either spend money on expensive fiber cable, or on expensive transceiver... and then there's the risk of compatibility! My Main PC needs a 15-20m cable from my router, so I was considering to use CAT 6A because it's cheaper.

If X550-T2 is RJ45, I think the best solution is to get a managed switch that also uses RJ45 and is compatible with it.

My current plan is to get a managed switch with support for VLAN tags. I'll connect on my 2 ISP modens (300Mbps and 240Mbps) on 2 of its ports, and connect it to 1 port on my router's X550. On this port I'd have 2 VLANs for these 2 ISP, and another (at least 1, possibly more) VLAN for my LAN. That would take 1Gbps for Internet and leave 9Gbps for LAN devices to connect to the router. Of course, LAN devices can't be allowed by the switch to connect directly to either modem, packages coming from LAN directed to modens IPs or Internet must pass thru the router.

Then I need 1 10GbE port for my NAS and another for my PC. There are a few more devices (5 ports should be enough on the long run) close to router, all limited to 1GbE.

My PC is on another room, I'd need to take a direct CAT 6A cable to it, to have 10GbE on it. And on the same room there's a TP-Link AP with OpenWRT in bridge mode. I'd need another cable connected to it, it's 1GbE, from where I connect some more devices.

Then I'd use VLAN tags between the switch and TP-Link. This way I could keep some cabled devices and 1 WiFi SSID on the same main VLAN, and have another VLAN + SSID and 1 cabled port for TV, home theater, gaming, etc.

The Intel X550-T2 is a 10GBASE-T adapter with an RJ45 so it should work fine. The X710 only works with direct attach copper cables and a couple of Intel's optical transcievers.

the XL710-DA4 is indeed quad DAC - however the X710-T4 is 4 * 10base-T

since you'd usually have your router in close proximity to your lead switch anyway the DA4 would be cheaper option - but if not just get the T4

If X550-T2 is RJ45, I think the best solution is to get a managed switch that also uses RJ45 and is compatible with it.

do you actually NEED dual 10gbe links for your pc - if not then the cheapest option by far would be a single 10base-T aquantia based card ( asus xg-c100c, tp-link tx401 etc).

If you do need dual 10gbe then the x540-t2 can be had for about 1/2 the price of the x550-t2 - main diff is the older card is pcie2x8 vs pcie3x4 for the 550 - but since in both cases they'll be going into a pcie3x16 slot in real terms it makes little difference (only other diff is the x550 does graceful multigig 10/5/2.5/1 fallback - the x540 will retrain straight from 10 to 1)

do you actually NEED dual 10gbe links for your pc - if not then the cheapest option by far would be a single 10base-T aquantia based card ( asus xg-c100c, tp-link tx401 etc).

I cited T2 because it's almost the same price of T1. But yeah, if I can get a switch that's managed and supports VLAN tagging, with at least 3 10GbE ports (router, NAS, Main) compatible with X550 and 8 1GbE ports (2 ISP, 1 extra PC, 1 eventual laptop, secondary switch, 2 spare), then all I'd need on the router is a single 10GbE port.

My NAS is custom build and also has all services I use, I make sure to keep the router with only the fundamental services for routing, so I don't need on it more bandwidth than ISP's (doubled, if the same port is used twice). ATM, 1Gbps would be enough, but of course I wanna build a new system to be expandable.

If you do need dual 10gbe then the x540-t2 can be had for about 1/2 the price of the x550-t2 - main diff is the older card is pcie2x8 vs pcie3x4 for the 550 - but since in both cases they'll be going into a pcie3x16 slot in real terms it makes little difference (only other diff is the x550 does graceful multigig 10/5/2.5/1 fallback - the x540 will retrain straight from 10 to 1)

I'm waiting for Intel 11th Gen (at least) to arrive and stabilize its prices, so I doubt I'd be able to buy it this year. I read on Intel spec page that X540 is being discontinued, so I'm considering it won't be available anymore.

Sorry for the dumb question, what are Adaptive, Store and forward and Cut-Through?

They are listed on MercadoLivre inside managed switches.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!