What's new

Routers with SFP ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lawk

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I have a FTTH connection at home.

The router supplied by the ISP has the fiber cable running directly into it. It is not a bad unit, but I disliked that it only has WIFI5.

I know from other users that the Mikrotik Hex S and the TP-Link ER7206 work with an SFP module from FS for my ISP: 1000BASE-BX BiDi SFP 1310nm-TX/1490nm-RX 20km LC SMF for my isp

Anyway, I got a TP-Link MC220L "media converter" and put the SFP module in that and then run the RJ45 to the WAN Port of a TP-Link Archer X73.

The combo works great in general. WIFI6 enabled and I can use the full symmetrical speed.

Anyway I was wondering what would be a good future proofing upgrade? For this I would like to know if someone has success running 1G SFP modules in SFP+ ports of routers? or if someone has experience doing the same in SFP+ media converters to 10GbE.

I read that sometimes it will work but that the router must be able to manually set the speed to 1G as auto negotiation might not work?

I like the QNAP 301w hora but its WIFI6 implementation with wpa2 instead of wpa6 and other limiation seems slightly lacking. But I really like that it has 2x10GbE ports.

However it might not be an option since my understanding is that it does not support MAC Cloning. I can only run routers where I can clone the mac from the original ISP router.

any experience with asus rt-ax88u pro or the new tuf ax6000? Those run 2x2.5GbE ports which would be nice too.

Generally speaking I would like something with 2x fast ports, I dont understand the point of only 1x fast WAN or 1x fast LAN.

Hello!

I have a FTTH connection at home.

The router supplied by the ISP has the fiber cable running directly into it. It is not a bad unit, but I disliked that it only has WIFI5.

I know from other users that the Mikrotik Hex S and the TP-Link ER7206 work with an SFP module from FS for my ISP: 1000BASE-BX BiDi SFP 1310nm-TX/1490nm-RX 20km LC SMF for my isp

Anyway, I got a TP-Link MC220L "media converter" and put the SFP module in that and then run the RJ45 to the WAN Port of a TP-Link Archer X73.

The combo works great in general. WIFI6 enabled and I can use the full symmetrical speed.

Anyway I was wondering what would be a good future proofing upgrade? For this I would like to know if someone has success running 1G SFP modules in SFP+ ports of routers? or if someone has experience doing the same in SFP+ media converters to 10GbE.

I read that sometimes it will work but that the router must be able to manually set the speed to 1G as auto negotiation might not work?

I like the QNAP 301w hora but its WIFI6 implementation with wpa2 instead of wpa6 and other limiation seems slightly lacking. But I really like that it has 2x10GbE ports.

However it might not be an option since my understanding is that it does not support MAC Cloning. I can only run routers where I can clone the mac from the original ISP router.

any experience with asus rt-ax88u pro or the new tuf ax6000? Those run 2x2.5GbE ports which would be nice too.

Generally speaking I would like something with 2x fast ports, I dont understand the point of only 1x fast WAN or 1x fast LAN.

As long as the port supports both 1G and 10G it can run either SFP module, that was the intent of SFP+. So you'd need to check the specs of the router or media converter you plan to use to confirm if the port is single or dual speed.

Fiber is only 1G or 10G, most media converters will not support different speeds on the fiber and copper ends (some do) so if you need 10G or 1G in and 2.5G out, make sure you find one that can do that. Asus does have a Wifi7 router with 10G copper ports, but it won't ever hit anywhere near full line speed.

The routers with a 2.5G WAN and 1G LAN assume you'll be using both wired and wifi or fast (AX/AXe/Be) wifi to exceed 1G.

However I wouldn't worry about upgrading your gear until you need more than 1G on your WAN. Otherwise you'll just be outdated by the time you end up using it.

2.5G is going to be the most economical at this point and should meet any home users needs for a long time, but again if you don't need it right now, if you wait, 5G and 10G stuff will come down in price.

Thanks you are right, probably makes more sense to check the market once WAN here exceeds 1G.

There are plenty of 10 gig cards off eBay but they are not nbase-t which is what you need for 2.5G interface. The 10 gig cards off eBay are 10 gig and 1 gig. I am using one of the 10 gig cards at 1 gig right now as they are real quick. AT&T is close to me, only blocks away but I don't know when I will see fiber.
I can run my 10 gig Cisco L3 switch but it is kind of noisy. I am not sure it buys me a whole lot without having fiber to my house. So, I only play with my 10 gig switch.