What's new

2 clients are connecting to RT-AC87U through this device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xulian

Regular Contributor
Hi,

this happens both with asus and merlin firmwares, unsure if is really an issue.

Can anyone help me to understand if I have a security problem in my network?

thanks in advance...

atv.jpg

If you have more than one device plugged into the appletv, it is not a security problem. :)

If you have more than one device plugged into the appletv, it is not a security problem. :)

Hello L&LD, thanks for your reply,

:) sorry for my ignorance, but how can that be possible.. that device has only one RJ45 and it serves content, doesn't provide network access

thanks

Hello L&LD, thanks for your reply,

:) sorry for my ignorance, but how can that be possible.. that device has only one RJ45 and it serves content, doesn't provide network access

thanks

Apologies for my ignorance then (I have never seen, nor care about appletv). :)

When you flash the version you want to use (or test), do you do a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (i.e. never use a backup config file to set up your router).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Hi again,

yes, I made a full hard reset and manually setup everything from scratch flashing with last merlin version. Everything working atm except that thing, that looks only informative in the client list of devices.

thanks

Hi,

thanks in advance...

atv.jpg

I see this on an Amcrest IP camera.. I have 'Enable UPnP=NO' in the GUI , so I assumed that the 2 (correctly) refers to the number of Android client devices that I have that are using the IP Cam Viewer app having a socket connection?

NOTE: 4 other IP cameras are also connected to the Android app but are older Foscam/Tenvis devices but they don't show 2 connections.

2016-11-27_20-12-56.png

Last edited:
hi Martineau, thanks for your reply.

I have also deactivated uPnP. In my case, thing is that the device is powered off (well, it has all the wires connected but no lights externally seen as when viewing something at the tv)

Hi,

thanks in advance...

atv.jpg

Any chance your Apple TV is connected by both Ethernet and Wi-Fi?

hi dlandiss, thanks for your reply.

Nice one... let me check at home tonight and will confirm.

kind regards,

Hi,
This happens when I use a virtual machine on my main computer.
Rgds,
GS

Hi,
This happens when I use a virtual machine on my main computer.
Rgds,
GS

Hi,

I verified yesterday the device and did not find any clue about wifi connection, network settings were referring ethernet connection all the time with only one IP shown in there.

GSpock, thanks for your reply too, I'm afraid virtual machine doesn't apply in this case.

Hi everyone,

Found this topic in tomshardware about AppleTv's in a network having too many IP's

Looks like they solve the problem setting up the device to 'never sleep'

COLGeek said:
Kind of makes sense, if the device's (while in sleep mode) DHCP server "forgot" what IP addresses had been assigned, that could create the problem you had. Hope it holds up.

Yet again unsure if this is really an issue and in that case if to put it at dhcp side or device one

BTW, bear with me in this post. I'm describing my problem, but it may reveal some info about the problems you're all having with "2 clients are connecting".

I see this on an Amcrest IP camera.. I have 'Enable UPnP=NO' in the GUI , so I assumed that the 2 (correctly) refers to the number of Android client devices that I have that are using the IP Cam Viewer app having a socket connection?

NOTE: 4 other IP cameras are also connected to the Android app but are older Foscam/Tenvis devices but they don't show 2 connections.

View attachment 7850

I have the same behavior Martineau observes, also on an Amcrest IP cam. But I have a dozen of these cams, and only have this problem on one. THIS SUGGESTS THAT THE INDIVIDUAL CAM HAS ISSUES, IT IS NOT NORMAL. Yes, the cam has both wifi and wired connections, and although I have used its settings to disable wifi, wireless remains live. But the wireless has its own, different IP address.

upload_2017-9-21_16-53-8.png

BTW, you see in the image above that I have Parental Controls blocking the Amcrest cams...those sneaky buggers phone home all day if you don't. I want my cams locked INSIDE the LAN FFS.

Here's the cam's wired setting:
upload_2017-9-21_16-56-47.png

Here's the Wifi disabled setting, despite it the wifi radio still is on:

upload_2017-9-21_17-0-26.png

And here's the cams wireless settings:

upload_2017-9-21_16-57-47.png

So, are our devices somehow causing a loop?
This is the ONLY one of 12 cams that won't turn off its radio, and it's also the only device in my big lan that displays the "2 clients" issue.
Could this somehow be the cause of our weird "2 clients" message?

Update: to make thinks fun, now I have Vizio TVs doing the same thing. I do have four Vizios TVs. They also could be doing it as part of a wifi AND ethernet thing, but that doesn't explain FOUR showing on one IP address. WTF is going on?

And my one Amcrest camera is still showing 2. All other devices on my big LAN don't do this.

upload_2018-1-18_12-30-41.png

upload_2018-1-18_12-31-50.png

In my experience, that number refers how many dispositive arrives at RT-AC68U through that nodes.
F.E.I have an old WRT54GL with DD-WRT configured as client-repeater with TV, Sky Decoder, DVD Player connected to its ethernet ports. I see it with the tooltip number which is the number of devices connected +1 (the adapter itself).
The tooltip number indicates how many IP you will reach through that device (node). Minimum is 2 (the router +1 f.e. SkyBox) if behind it there is only 1 device ON.