What's new

Solved 2 routers with Merlin + OpenVPN + AdGuard Home: DNS does not work from OVPN client side

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Luntim

New Around Here
Hi,

I have two RT-AX88U routers, both with AdGuard Home installed through AMTM. One of these routers is OVPN server for the other one's OVPN client. This setup has been working perfectly for a while until a couple of months ago when I decided to update everything to the latest version. Unfortunately I don't know which upgrade caused the issue as I discovered it no longer works long after I made the changes.

I've confirmed that the VPN traffic works just fine, it is simply the DNS from the client side that is not working. The desired setup is for the client to use the OVPN server DNS.

I've been searching for a while but couldn't find any pointers. I've also completely erased and factory reset the OVPN server router and started from scratch but it did not fix my issue.
My questions:
1. How can I investigate what the issue is? My linux/bash knowledge is extremely limited but I can find my way if given pointers.
2. I've looked at the DNS Monitor script but I don't understand how to run it.

Let me know what information/commands output should I post if needed.

Thanks.

1. How can I investigate what the issue is? My linux/bash knowledge is extremely limited but I can find my way if given pointers.
Look at the messages in the client router's System Log when it connects to the server. It will show you what options (including DNS) are being pushed to it.

Look at the messages in the client router's System Log when it connects to the server. It will show you what options (including DNS) are being pushed to it.
Thank you for the pointers.

It's working now.

I have no idea what went wrong. I removed everything once more, reconfigured the VPN server and client from scratch and eventually it started working.

Thanks again for trying to help!